Biasing confession…

Tone Monster

Shit seems too overwhelming. I did it once when I had a Herbert with the external bias points and have never done it again. I have been primarily a Mesa guy though so no biggie (fixed bias). Some of you guys are so techy it blows me away. Modding amps, changing caps, biasing no prob. I’m just always afraid I’m gonna fuck it up or electrocute myself or something 🤦🏻‍♂️. Anybody else feel like I do?

Shit seems too overwhelming. I did it once when I had a Herbert with the external bias points and have never done it again. I have been primarily a Mesa guy though so no biggie (fixed bias). Some of you guys are so techy it blows me away. Modding amps, changing caps, biasing no prob. I’m just always afraid I’m gonna fuck it up or electrocute myself or something 🤦🏻‍♂️. Anybody else feel like I do?
It's always best to just let someone do it. I used to have a Weber bias probe but someone stole it with some of my pedals. I'll probably just hire Thump to bias my amps again. He knows the spot.

Like a lot of “skills”, it seems difficult til you learn to do it yourself and you realize it isn’t bad. Eurotubes bias probe makes it so incredibly easy.

fuck yes.

at some point id like to learn about amps, i need to focus on recording now though so i can get my album out and move on with life lol

Eurotubes Pro One has been my go-to for years. Piece of cake. Reminds me... Been wanting to throw some KT77's in the Runt...Sometimes it's a curse to know how to do it, you end up with a shit-ton of tubes, and doing a lot of experimenting..

I have been primarily a Mesa guy though so no biggie (fixed bias).
Mesa are no different than any other tube amp tho. They need to be biased just as much as an old Fender or Marshall...or a new Fender or Marshall. They just chose to not make it adjustable. All these amps are "fixed bias" it's just that some are adjustable and some aren't. "Fixed bias" actually refers to the negative 'fixed' DC bias voltage applied to the power tube grids. It is in contrast to 'cathode bias'. All tube amps are one or the other (that I know of).

The reality is that you can often get away with just plugging and playing. Even if you are running your tubes really hot, many people don't run their amps hard and if they're good they're pretty forgiving.

Biasing isn't hard and I'll attempt repairs myself if its not overly complicated. I'm always a little concerned I may mess something up, but I don't let that stop me from doing it. I just make sure to take my time and be safe when going inside the chassis. If i get to a point I'm unsure of I'll consult an expert or bring it to them to finish from where I left off.

In my profession I can get elbow deep in $100k+ GC's and GC/MS's to keep the lab moving when instruments start acting up. It can get a little nerve racking about fucking something up if I'm messing with a piece i haven't worked on too often. So comparatively poking around in an amp feels trivial.

If I can do it, you can do it. Once the amp it powered on just stick your left hand in your back pocket and use the right screw driver.

A skill well worth learning if you don't like taking your an amp to tech occasionally and do like your amp and tubes to perform at their best.

Back