NGD - EVH Wolfgang MIJ

Mikeyboyeee

1st of 2 gear purchases arrived today.

May take a bit of time to gel with this one.
Great condition, gorgeous guitar.

Def needs setup, so going in Friday with my 74 Mono that needs new power switch...

Pickups kinda weird to me. Bridge not very hot, but pretty bright / shrill.
EAD strings have some nice punch.

Have only run thru the 93 Monomyth. Will try the 800 2203 and 5153 in a bit. Still stretching strings 🤘.

Attachments

• 20220830_160754.jpg
    20220830_160754.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 54
They haven't made them in Japan for 1 yrs or so. This is a 2011.
Mims are around 1300 new I believe.

This one is like the USA. Stainless frets, USA pickups etc

These MIJ EVH guitars have the USA pickups.
I did swap bridge out for a MJ 1980’s JBJ pickup and actually put the stock one back in quickly.
I’m not sure if all of these EVH pick ups are the same, made in Mexico versus made in USA, but I can vote for the USA bridge pickups being pretty darn good in my opinion. The neck pick ups are all way too hot for my liking, but I don’t go there that often with this guitar anyways.

IIRC... initially all the parts were USA parts, including the pups. they were shipped to J for manuf and sold at a discounted rate in US; even came with a HSC. at some point, after a couple/few years, Fender (or VH??) decided they could have the same guitar built in china for less cost equating to greater ROI. so they shipped remaining parts to china until they were gone, then started to manuf "lesser quality" (or at least less costly). the pups were allegedly same specs as USA, but wound overseas, the birdseye maple boards went away, etc... i believe HSC went away as well. production then got shifted to Mex

If not mistaken, yours should be USA all the way, luthiered in Japan. killer guitars...had a white one for a while...let it go to help fund GAS (the degen i am)... regret selling it.

Back