Recto r-0022 rev C on ebay....

Are there any dead ass Rev C clones on the market?

Maybe Rig-Talk can create a secret society of cloning rare amps that sound identical to the originals.

Are there any dead ass Rev C clones on the market?

Maybe Rig-Talk can create a secret society of cloning rare amps that sound identical to the originals.
Mike B use to do a conversion, but I don't know that he's doing mod work any more.

I had a Rev C that I thought was pretty different than every other Recto I've had, and I've had them all except a Rev D.

The C was super tight and bright. Straight in, sounded like an OD808 was already boosting it.

That said... you can just stick an OD808 in front of any other Recto and there you go.
Here's the thing- you can boost a Rev G & it'll sound reasonably close to a Rev C unboosted. Now, you boost the Rev C and you have utter destruction. It's like a Mark III and a Rev F had a baby.

Also to add, the Rev C has a legit Mark-like liquid lead tone. IME that's been hard to find on other Rectos. The Badlander has it too though, and I still think the BL is closer to a C than any other Recto. Or should I say, it's really nothing like any other Recto.

Circling back around though, just like the C+ vs. the JP2C, whether you prefer the tone of the Rev C or the MW is really personal preference. However, in the room, the feel & organic-ness is vastly different and nothing modern can touch the vintage amps. That's why we gear snobs break out the credit card.

Yeah. The C and T-Verbs had “That” tone. Was it the Mark transformers? What were the differences in the circuits?

Here's the thing- you can boost a Rev G & it'll sound reasonably close to a Rev C unboosted. Now, you boost the Rev C and you have utter destruction. It's like a Mark III and a Rev F had a baby.

Same experience here. Putting a OD808 in front of a RevC is like putting one of the over the top boosts like a Dirty Tree/33 clone in front of a RevG. Putting the Dirty Tree in front of the RevC is pure aggression.

@GJgo try to play around with the orange channel of your RevC cloned to modern/red. It will sound darker but the brighter RevC can compensate this. You will get a fatness in the mids I only can here from boosted 2203.

Where does the Roadster fall in relation to holy grail C/TV tone?

Same experience here. Putting a OD808 in front of a RevC is like putting one of the over the top boosts like a Dirty Tree/33 clone in front of a RevG. Putting the Dirty Tree in front of the RevC is pure aggression.

@GJgo try to play around with the orange channel of your RevC cloned to modern/red. It will sound darker but the brighter RevC can compensate this. You will get a fatness in the mids I only can here from boosted 2203.
Yeah, I generally prefer orange to modern with all the 2 channel rectos in the band because the mids are better. Also I don't mind the presence not working because honestly it's not working in the perfect spot.

The key I've found here is my Rev C SHINES with traditional Marshall speakers. While V30s are bread & butter to normal Rectos, the Rev C KILLS with Redbacks & Greenbacks, and is also really damn good with T75s. I have vids on my channel if anyone is curious.

Roadsters & Tverbs are pretty dark and don't have as much of the normal Recto "fizz". Honestly the Rev C has less of that as well and is more Mark like in its grind. While I agree that the Tverb is "overall" perhaps the best 2 channel made because the cleans are also so good (and most 2 channel cleans kind of suck), in the band mix it didn't quite have the cut that the normal Dual / Triple has with the fizz.

Not all Rev. C's sounded the same brand new. Extremely close, but not the same. Factor in the years gone by for values to drift.
Given the $$ its up for I would have a real tough time even considering it unless I could play in person. Now if your looking as a collectors piece thats something completely different. (y)

What tubes came in the Rev C? Sylvania 6L6GC?

Is Ty Tabor Dogman-era King’s X tone the penultimate Rev C tone?

What tubes came in the Rev C? Sylvania 6L6GC?

Is Ty Tabor Dogman-era King’s X tone the penultimate Rev C tone?

Rectos came stock with Shuguang STR420 coke bottle 6L6s.

Dogman was supposedly a Recto Rev F rackmount blended with the producer's Plexi, all through a Marshall V30 cab.

IMO this is one of those cases where very very few people have played the thing and its not the version of the thing that is most prevalent on popular recordings of the thing so its tough to say its the 'holy grail' version of it except for a handful of people who have them.

All that said I prefer my Roadster to the Rev G and Rev F Duals I had in the early 2000s. The Roadster is nicely configured to give you a clean and then also the Orange Vintage and Red Modern tones in one amp. I think its kinda forgotten because its post 3-channels and the Road King is overly complex for most folks. I honestly only even have it for the 4th channel in Modern mode because a high gainer with no negative feedback isn't something I have in any of my other amps. Amp hits hard.

BeyondBlack has a Rev G triple that Mike converted to C spec. I'd love to get it in the room with my C.
Yes, he C modded my G Triple. Came back tighter, more aggressive in the mids, and the lows are more usable.
It’s a vicious fucking beast. 🤘

0EDFDBC2-EE05-45B4-BDC1-B8F505B565BF.jpeg

Last edited:
IMO this is one of those cases where very very few people have played the thing and its not the version of the thing that is most prevalent on popular recordings of the thing so its tough to say its the 'holy grail' version of it except for a handful of people who have them.

All that said I prefer my Roadster to the Rev G and Rev F Duals I had in the early 2000s. The Roadster is nicely configured to give you a clean and then also the Orange Vintage and Red Modern tones in one amp. I think its kinda forgotten because its post 3-channels and the Road King is overly complex for most folks. I honestly only even have it for the 4th channel in Modern mode because a high gainer with no negative feedback isn't something I have in any of my other amps. Amp hits hard.
My Zinky is no NFB and that’s where the true, raw, organic high gain tone lives.

You should be asking about the Road King. I had one slip through my fingers a few months back. I thought my Rev G could cover the territory, and it gets close, but the Road King is a nasty, aggressive, tight amp. I keep plugging a boost in front of my Rev G on long winters nights lamenting the tone I could have had with the Road King. o_O

The Roadster is a Road King with a single output section, series loop, and none of the cabinet switching stuff. Its stripped back and still loaded with features.

The Roadster is a Road King with a single output section, series loop, and none of the cabinet switching stuff. Its stripped back and still loaded with features.
did mesa ever fix the issue with the fx loop on the roadster? i bought one when they first came out (dumb with a mesa, i know), and when the loop was engaged there was a noticeable difference in the tone, especially on channel 2. not to mention the switching pops. sounded great other wise.

Back