Special (to me) Gower Killer Kali++

tekbow

This was an 81 JCM800 1959, that Dan modded for me. I reckon I was mildly irritating with the extra stuff, but we know the gent Dan is and he went above and beyond to help and provide measurements/resources, be enthusiastic etc.

Headshell and faceplates were done by Modulus Amps in the Uk, Michael also being a gent and enthusiastic. First class job on the Aesthetics.

20210729_113437 (2).jpg
20211122_125917.jpg
20210727_193516.jpg
20210727_193724.jpg
20210727_193946.jpg
20210727_193603.jpg
20210727_193625.jpg
20210727_193646.jpg
20210727_194041.jpg
20210727_194016.jpg

Awesome... definitely one of a kind. Dan does incredible work... in terms of tone, feel, clean build :thumbsup:

My old Killer Kali++ is one of my all time favs by far.... wish I had that monster back. Congrats on yours... don't let it go :)

I should say that I've had it for 2 years at this point, although, because Covid, the headshell was only finished this time last year.

A different builder was making it and supposed to be shipping to Dan, but it fell thru and Modulus, seeing as he was doing the faceplates anyway, stepped in long after I received the amp 👍

I just sent Dan an email to get on the list for one of these next year. How much extra was it to get faceplates? I didn't see that option on his price sheet.

I just sent Dan an email to get on the list for one of these next year. How much extra was it to get faceplates? I didn't see that option on his price sheet.

That's not one of his options, was all done with his blessing and assistance, but I organised it with Modulus on my own and had them sent down.

Dan sent the original faceplates up to Modulus for dimensions, provided fonts and some art files.

I actually can't remember how much they cost, but there's a section on Modulus website for pricing

did the original head shell break?

Dan is the man. I regret
To this day parting ways with my rock monster. It was the one on his YouTube channel he originally built for himself and it was SO BAD ASS!!! Dan and Hermansson are the two dudes I look at and think will be the future of amp building/mods. They deliver over and over and you NEVER hear a questionable amp or bogus tone like some mod guys. I had a Modded Marshall from one of the big guys and it sucked tremendous amounts of shit. Dan and Hermansson only send out winners. They are both great players and have good ears. Well done. Someday I hope to be like you guys

Viva la GOWER (& the gorilla gang!)

did the original head shell break?

Dan is the man. I regret
To this day parting ways with my rock monster. It was the one on his YouTube channel he originally built for himself and it was SO BAD ASS!!! Dan and Hermansson are the two dudes I look at and think will be the future of amp building/mods. They deliver over and over and you NEVER hear a questionable amp or bogus tone like some mod guys. I had a Modded Marshall from one of the big guys and it sucked tremendous amounts of shit. Dan and Hermansson only send out winners. They are both great players and have good ears. Well done. Someday I hope to be like you guys

Viva la GOWER (& the gorilla gang!)
Yes I had that amp at one point. Solid amp. Fwiw, the guys in the gorilla gang don’t have any Gower’s or Hermansson’s, so maybe not worth joining, although one of them has a Larry, so can’t feel too sorry for them (more like I hate them for being taller and having a better amp than me). At 5’10.5” and 166 lbs I’m not allowed in anytime soon, but I do what I can

Yes I had that amp at one point. Solid amp. Fwiw, the guys in the gorilla gang don’t have any Gower’s or Hermansson’s, so maybe not worth joining, although one of them has a Larry, so can’t feel too sorry for them (more like I hate them for being taller and having a better amp than me). At 5’10.5” and 166 lbs I’m not allowed in anytime soon, but I do what I can
Screw that bro, I still want in the gorilla gang. Those dudes are super tough and very manly. Plus, I really want to play that Larry. I heard the gorilla gang has fights with other gangs even!!!

That is a great looking amp and a neat setup with the clean controls in the back. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds amazing!

clean channel on the back ......... never seen that before ... very cool

That is a great looking amp and a neat setup with the clean controls in the back. Very nicely done. I bet it sounds amazing!

Dan does have what he calls a simple clean option on his price list, however this one is blackface twin derived which is another option that wasn't on the price list at the time (might be now).

Obviously you can't crank the master too high because it's still a Superlead pattern power amp, so, breakup.

Forget about using it if you're diaing in his example NMV superlead settings.

But Its a grand clean channel. It's never going to be a full blackface clean, but it's got some sparkle fer Sure

That looks great! Just out of interest, can it get really quite 'tight' or percussive?

From my POV, very. It's certainly doesnt need a bass cutting boost in front.

The feel knob affects the tightness, but also lowers the overall saturation at extreme (e.g. 0) settings.

You can compensate with the bright switches or the optional glass control which will bring more saturation back without bringing the low end in

We're talking about tweaks though. Nothing radical. I do keep meaning to set the feel to zero and dime the glass to see what happens.

The sat switch is another way to tighten things up, its sorta kinda like kicking in an SD1. A very fun thing is to use the low sat setting and stack it into a moderate setting of the violence mode.

Back