Diezel - Attenuator Needed or Not?

Anxiety Serum

So I just got a Captor X which is my first go around with using an attenuator (not what I bought it for but let's try it). With my VH2 I AB'ed the zero cut, 20db cut, and the 38db cut and juiced the master and the channel volume to the decibel output I wanted in the room (call it 80-85dbs).

Keep in mind I only played for a few minutes ABing these, but I didn't notice the need for the attenuator at all. With no attenuation and the Master and Channel set at 9:00ish each, the amp sounded just as good as with both at noon or above and some attenuation.

I know people say a Marshall needs an attenuator to find the sweet spot and Diezels are notorious for having a great master (one reason I bought my VH2), but wondering if the Diezel is really meant to sound just as good without the tubes cooking as it does with an attenuator and tubes cooking a bit more.

With Herbert I don’t think I’d ever need it . Master at 5 and it’s perfect. Maybe I should try it with Vh4. I have a weird relationship with my vh4

Diezels have incredible MV attenuation capabilities. In my experience - choking them with the MV barely cracked changes the tone for sure - but not for better or worse, it's more the "feel" of the amp and its tone - I've explained to a lot of cats here that the "feel" of the amp can change by turning the MV up and keeping the Ch.V down, and vice versa. I've used a myriad of attenuators - they work fine - but honestly I just love hearing my Diezels played "as is". And if it's too fkn loud, I turn it down a smidge. If I don't care - I turn them up - they just sound amazing all the time.

Learn the sliding scale relationship between CV and MV and you're already saving yourself the cost of an attenuator. As for the CaptorX - they're EXCELLENT for DI recording - bar none my fave do-all boxes - and yes, I have two to run a dual amp setup and then multitrack the shit outta them :rock:

With a Hagen, no need... Except that one time when my kid turned the MV waaaaaaaaaay too high to play in the house when I way looking the other way.

With a Hagen, no need... Except that one time when my kid turned the MV waaaaaaaaaay too high to play in the house when I way looking the other way.
I got to check my levels constantly. 4 year old is notorious for that but more for just turning pedals on. Why does this sound weird? Oh my Wah is on.

Diezels have incredible MV attenuation capabilities. In my experience - choking them with the MV barely cracked changes the tone for sure - but not for better or worse, it's more the "feel" of the amp and its tone - I've explained to a lot of cats here that the "feel" of the amp can change by turning the MV up and keeping the Ch.V down, and vice versa. I've used a myriad of attenuators - they work fine - but honestly I just love hearing my Diezels played "as is". And if it's too fkn loud, I turn it down a smidge. If I don't care - I turn them up - they just sound amazing all the time.

Learn the sliding scale relationship between CV and MV and you're already saving yourself the cost of an attenuator. As for the CaptorX - they're EXCELLENT for DI recording - bar none my fave do-all boxes - and yes, I have two to run a dual amp setup and then multitrack the shit outta them :rock:
Yeah I think I've seen you talk about the MV relationship, definitely played with that many times. I did notice a little different feel with the higher levels and the attenuator, but like you said, I think I still like it played as is.

Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something. I hear all the talk about amps (often Marshalls or Fenders) not sounding great until cranked. I wasn't sure if I should have expected some improved tone once cranked more. Sounds like it depends on your ear and at least I'm not alone in thinking no attenuator necessary. Pretty impressive engineering by Diezel.

Now I just got to learn how to use a DAW so I can use this Captor for what I really bought it for.

I prefer the tone with no attenuation even at bedroom levels.

Honestly with Diezels I think a lot of the juice you gain from volume is just from the speakers working at moving air and the cab resonating.
Agreed. Where the CaptorX comes in VERY handy is when trying to nail that sweetspot mic placement to get the best rendition on the DAW of what you're hearing ITR. I LOVE Diezels as is; where I grew pretty frustrated was mic placement, mic choice, and that's when the SPL became a thing to tinker with. The CaptorX removes all that headache for recording. But I won't lie - given all the processing shit I have at my desk, effects, monitors, routing, etc. - I often find myself just plopping a head on a cab, and plugging directly in - and playing for hours. No FX, just the amp, cable, cab and guitar. Love them!!

Tried a few ones on the VH4, but always came to the conclusion that it does not really improve anything.
As long as you can have the MV around 9 at least, no real change at least not for my ears.

I would agree with Rickenbacker, that the juice from Volume is more the speaker moving and resonating, so attenuator won't help you there..

I use the Bugera PS1 on my VH4 and LOVE it. IMO it does not color the tone so hard like others I have tried and sounds decent at bedroom volumes with my 4X12. I like how I can raise the master to 11-11:30 and push the amp a bit.

Back