Recto r-0022 rev C on ebay....

4 tube C+ are not as great as the internet thinks they are. I've had (and sold) a lot of them. Now a Coliseum, or a regular C+ slaved into a Strategy 400, that's another story.
What's wrong with a 4 tube C+ ??? They are great amps IMO, maybe not as great as the internet says, but they're still great.

You know, I have been in many bands using Mark III's and IV's (four tube models) for 15 years now and they have never failed to deliver the goods in the basement, at band practice, or on the stage, so I don't get where you think these amps are somehow no good??? and it's gotta be a coliseum to get a good cutting tone. That's bullshit.

Last edited:
Agreed. I only gush over something I have personally used or personally think is worth it. If that happens to fall in line with other internet folklore, so be it, but I try to stay away from that shit for sure. Like C+ Threads l, I love spinning up the internet on those turds!

I do need to try a multi watt though, haven’t played one in years and years.
Turds?? LOL I doubt you've even tried one out (IIC+)... Sure, you say you have, but a lot of people on the internet like to bullshit, including yourself.

Turds?? LOL I doubt you've even tried one out (IIC+)... Sure, you say you have, but a lot of people on the internet like to bullshit, including yourself.

Damn you 2c+ clowns are soft. Literally the most overrated amp of all time, ever. Period . End of story. Keep living in 1987 when one band used them. Never in my life have I ever heard of one amp that has to be so furiously defended by clowns like you. Talk shit about a 5150? Who cares…. A recto? Cool, whatever you say bro… a marshall? Hey whatever floats your boat … and why is that? Because those amps don’t need defending by internet clowns to make themselves feel better about spending 10k on an amp that blows.

I’ve played everything under the sun homie, I lived in Nashville for quite some time, ever been? If you have, you’ll understand why it’s not a big deal to have played literally anything , because it all exists there. The amp is shot.

What's wrong with a 4 tube C+ ??? They are great amps IMO, maybe not as great as the internet says, but they're still great.

You know, I have been in many bands using Mark III's and IV's (four tube models) for 15 years now and they have never failed to deliver the goods in the basement, at band practice, or on the stage, so I don't get where you think these amps are somehow no good??? and it's gotta be a coliseum to get a good cutting tone. That's bullshit.
Nothing is wrong with them, they're one of the best bedroom amps ever. My perspective is from the context of my metal band live mix every 4 tube Mark I've tried (15 or so?) has been wildly underwhelming (no balls), with maaaaybe the exception of the IVb. The only Marks that can reliably get the sound in my head, live, are Coliseums. YMMV.

Damn you 2c+ clowns are soft. Literally the most overrated amp of all time, ever. Period . End of story. Keep living in 1987 when one band used them. Never in my life have I ever heard of one amp that has to be so furiously defended by clowns like you. Talk shit about a 5150? Who cares…. A recto? Cool, whatever you say bro… a marshall? Hey whatever floats your boat … and why is that? Because those amps don’t need defending by internet clowns to make themselves feel better about spending 10k on an amp that blows.

I’ve played everything under the sun homie, I lived in Nashville for quite some time, ever been? If you have, you’ll understand why it’s not a big deal to have played literally anything , because it all exists there. The amp is shot.
Dude, I don't even own a 2C+ and have never owned one, i've just had the pleasure to try one out and it did not dissapoint. Great amp IMO and I've used quite a few amps in my 39 years.

Nothing is wrong with them, they're one of the best bedroom amps ever. My perspective is from the context of my metal band live mix every 4 tube Mark I've tried (15 or so?) has been wildly underwhelming (no balls), with maaaaybe the exception of the IVb. The only Marks that can reliably get the sound in my head, live, are Coliseums. YMMV.
Fair enough. They don't work in YOUR band, but every band I've been in they have worked great. I will say that my current Mark IV is my fave of them all and I've had that amp up against everything, including a few Marshall's in a live context. That said, I would love to own a Coliseum one of these days.

did mesa ever fix the issue with the fx loop on the roadster? i bought one when they first came out (dumb with a mesa, i know), and when the loop was engaged there was a noticeable difference in the tone, especially on channel 2. not to mention the switching pops. sounded great other wise.

I think that's an issue with a lot of effects loops but if you've got effects you need to put in a loop you just deal with it.

Fair enough. They don't work in YOUR band, but every band I've been in they have worked great. I will say that my current Mark IV is my fave of them all and I've had that amp up against everything, including a few Marshall's in a live context. That said, I would love to own a Coliseum one of these days.

Hold on to your hats bros, the “no really! The 2c+ is a great amp” police is here!! LMAO GTFOH.

The amp is shot. Completely shot.

Having owned a C+ Coli and a DRG at the same time, I would take the DRG all day over the Coli. Blanket statements about this or that are just unfair and misleading to people who haven’t had the opportunity to try them out personally.

Neither amp sat in a live mix well, and quite honestly that’s why they got sold, but I’m more of a 90s hard rock guy, not metal- so different bullseyes I suppose. Vastly preferred non fender derived amps- Recto, Marshall, Friedman, VHT.

As Jeremy said, C+ is very impressive at home, no doubt about it. Records pretty well too.

Where does the Roadster fall in relation to holy grail C/TV tone?
I owned a roadster and a Mike B revision g modded to revision C recto at the same time. The roadster is dark and more compressed than the revisions c. For rock and high gain tones I much preferred the revision c in every way. It is more open, brighter but not fizzy like many rectos and very very aggressive. The only place where the roadster out preformed the C is on the clean channel. I sold the roadster and still have the revision c and it has became a staple at my house. I have also shot it out between a multiwatt and agin the multiwatt did not get the tone or the feel of the C. No matter what we did it never got very close to it at all. Could have been the amp or the tubes but it just wasn’t there.

Having owned a C+ Coli and a DRG at the same time, I would take the DRG all day over the Coli. Blanket statements about this or that are just unfair and misleading to people who haven’t had the opportunity to try them out personally.

Neither amp sat in a live mix well, and quite honestly that’s why they got sold, but I’m more of a 90s hard rock guy, not metal- so different bullseyes I suppose. Vastly preferred non fender derived amps- Recto, Marshall, Friedman, VHT.

As Jeremy said, C+ is very impressive at home, no doubt about it. Records pretty well too.
Isn't one of the main points of forums like this to relate personal experience from our point of view, which is necessarily different from the perspective of the next guy? There is no "right answer" (unless you're small minded) so by listening to as many opinions as possible a person can generally get a feel what might make the most sense in their space. Then, at some point, you just have to go buy one & try it for yourself.

For example, I agree that the C+ is amazing at home and records well. We're actually recording our album with one. I also agree that it doesn't sit well in the live mix, which is ultimately why I have sold them all. However I disagree about the DRG. For metal in my context I think triode is soft & weak, and it's my least favorite iteration. That said I recognize for some styles it may be better- just not mine. To add some perspective my band is a 3 piece, we play loud and I want a guitar tone with HUGE BALLS. The destroyer of worlds in my space is the IIB Coliseum. Tonally it's more akin to a MkIV in aggression and it's sent 12 or 14 IIC+ & III packing. Only one I've kept is the IIC++ Coliseum because it does record better.

Isn't one of the main points of forums like this to relate personal experience from our point of view, which is necessarily different from the perspective of the next guy? There is no "right answer" (unless you're small minded) so by listening to as many opinions as possible a person can generally get a feel what might make the most sense in their space. Then, at some point, you just have to go buy one & try it for yourself.

For example, I agree that the C+ is amazing at home and records well. We're actually recording our album with one. I also agree that it doesn't sit well in the live mix, which is ultimately why I have sold them all. However I disagree about the DRG. For metal in my context I think triode is soft & weak, and it's my least favorite iteration. That said I recognize for some styles it may be better- just not mine. To add some perspective my band is a 3 piece, we play loud and I want a guitar tone with HUGE BALLS. The destroyer of worlds in my space is the IIB Coliseum. Tonally it's more akin to a MkIV in aggression and it's sent 12 or 14 IIC+ & III packing. Only one I've kept is the IIC++ Coliseum because it does record better.
Didn’t mean to sound like I was coming at you for that Jeremy. You’re a good dude.

It’s just that the “Coli slays all” business gets repeated so much that it almost becomes a fact to any outsider without experience, which can mislead people in the wrong direction.

But at the end of the day, you’re exactly right- this is a place for opinions and sharing them is exactly what we’re here for

I had a 60 watt IIC+ that was just ok. Owned a Mark III red stripe that was super aggressive BETTER for metal. But the IIC++ is just as aggressive and has a better tone. Complex and still aggressive. I have a Mark IV collecting dust in the corner and I decided to fire it up the other day after playing the IIC++ for awhile and i can’t believe the quality difference. The IV is fine and nice but something is missing I can’t quite put my finger on. The ++ feels like it’s about to explode but somehow stays together and very tight. It’s badass.

Didn’t mean to sound like I was coming at you for that Jeremy. You’re a good dude.

It’s just that the “Coli slays all” business gets repeated so much that it almost becomes a fact to any outsider without experience, which can mislead people in the wrong direction.

But at the end of the day, you’re exactly right- this is a place for opinions and sharing them is exactly what we’re here for
All good man, this actually gives me an idea though. I think the perspective that our members is coming from is a valuable piece of the puzzle that most readers have no idea about when reading a random post. Knowing that you're more of a hard rock guy for example is valuable when we listen to your opinions. What if we all added a simple blurb to our signatures that have a brief description of where we're coming from? This could help other members to find commonality when going through other guy's opinions. I'll start this now and se if it catches on.

Actually the 60w II+/++ slays all...and that is just my experience😎
The 60W IIB & IIC+ are my second favorite amps for aggression only behind my IIB Coli. Tonally the 60s are my favorite C+. At the end of the day though while they are plenty loud enough for the bad they don't have the thickness I'm looking for so I let it go. In hindsight, slaved into a Strategy 400 could have been perfect.

I owned a roadster and a Mike B revision g modded to revision C recto at the same time. The roadster is dark and more compressed than the revisions c. For rock and high gain tones I much preferred the revision c in every way. It is more open, brighter but not fizzy like many rectos and very very aggressive. The only place where the roadster out preformed the C is on the clean channel. I sold the roadster and still have the revision c and it has became a staple at my house. I have also shot it out between a multiwatt and agin the multiwatt did not get the tone or the feel of the C. No matter what we did it never got very close to it at all. Could have been the amp or the tubes but it just wasn’t there.
I love my MW, especially in the live band, and I agree the Rev C just has a far more pleasing tone & feel. It's far more "vintage" than any other Recto I've played.

All good man, this actually gives me an idea though. I think the perspective that our members is coming from is a valuable piece of the puzzle that most readers have no idea about when reading a random post. Knowing that you're more of a hard rock guy for example is valuable when we listen to your opinions. What if we all added a simple blurb to our signatures that have a brief description of where we're coming from? This could help other members to find commonality when going through other guy's opinions. I'll start this now and se if it catches on.
Not a bad idea at all

Back