Considering a Marshall 2203X ............

griff10672

I don't have any Marshalls in my humble little studio .... been wanting a 800 forever .... not a big fan of boosting 2000 dollar amps but ... if the Science and results are there ... who am I to say shit ...
with a re-issue I'm thinking there are more pluses than minuses .... already has a loop .... don't need to worry about electrolytics etc ...
and I've watched enough comparison vids .... I'm not worried about the small differences I hear between a original and a re-issue
thoughts ??
ponderings ?
input from experienced users / owners ?

Marshalls and Fenders are the only amps that really matter. They are the only amps that can increase in value as time goes on. After having almost every amp brand on the market, the Marshalls and Fenders are the only ones left.

I had a 2203x way back in the early 2000's. Always loved that amp. More recently I got the SC20 head, the 20 watter. Sounded very good but "small" sounding to me. I like 50 and 100 watt amps, even if I play at low volumes.
I just got a new one a few months ago. New, they are expensive but I found a small store looking to blow out the amp at a great price so I grabbed it. Just as I remembered, a great sounding amp. Use an SD-1 or a FD-II. Loop works pretty well but I just got a Power Station, so I use the loop in that.

1662465301438.png

thanks for the input guys ......

anyone know a decent average used price ??? I'm going to start looking .....

The 2203X amp that I have is my #1. It has the Pandora mod so not exactly stock but still my #1. I run it with a PS2 and it just delivers the goods!

Why not boost?? Guys have been boosting marshalls since there has been marshalls
I'm late to the party ......... I've never had a 800 ...... I use to throw a boost on my crunch channel on my DSL .... that ripped !
but 99 % of the time ... I gravitate towards amps that do what I want them to do without a boost
but I definitely can't argue with some of the tones I hear from guys boosting their 800's
this vid really caught my attention

Everyone boosts everything. Just the way it is. I finally caved in to boosting about 15 years ago. Now I consider it dumb that I ever thought “it needs to come from the amp alone” thing. Which is what I used to think. All my Marshalls were modded up till then because of that reason.
When I compared a stock reissue that I got in trade to an early 80s 2203 the vintage sounded better…but not light years better. The reissues are solid and that loop Marshall uses is great.

Everyone boosts everything. Just the way it is. I finally caved in to boosting about 15 years ago. Now I consider it dumb that I ever thought “it needs to come from the amp alone” thing. Which is what I used to think. All my Marshalls were modded up till then because of that reason.

i agree. i dont know what kind of tones griff is going for but i cant think of anyone using an 800 that didnt boost in some way, if theres an amp made for boosting its that one.

When I compared a stock reissue that I got in trade to an early 80s 2203 the vintage sounded better…but not light years better. The reissues are solid and that loop Marshall uses is great.
I think guys that complain about an amp needing a boost is like complaining that the chicken you bought needs sauce or salt added to taste best. When I first got one (11 years ago for me) it was like where have you been all my life (even though it was a $30 DOD YJM). The reissue 800’s sound a bit brittle for my taste, but I guess fine enough. Would think also the vintage ones would hold value better. Plenty of amps though hate any boost like the early Uberschall’s, CCV, Megalith Beta, Reason, most Engl’s, many modded Marshall’s. Those amps kinda sound and feel like they’re already boosted

Fudge it ........... I bought one ....
GC had one for 2029.00 ........ so after taxes and shipping ... 2200 to my front door
and because I grabbed it off of GC ...... if for some reason it doesn't make me all tingly inside ..... I can bring it back ...
and for the 35 dollar shipping cost .... I think it's more than fair to get to try one out for a month .

Fudge it ........... I bought one ....
GC had one for 2029.00 ........ so after taxes and shipping ... 2200 to my front door
and because I grabbed it off of GC ...... if for some reason it doesn't make me all tingly inside ..... I can bring it back ...
and for the 35 dollar shipping cost .... I think it's more than fair to get to try one out for a month .
Congrats. Do you have a Boss SD-1 already?

1800 is ceriatone territory. A new 2203x is almost $3900 after tax. You’ll be lucky to find a used one for less than $2600 or so.

What?? For such a simple circuit? That's like BOOOOteek prices. I would 100% Get a Ceriatone and have someone put a zero loss FX loop in it. To think I got my 800 combo for 800$ CAD years back. Stupid.

I would also challenge you even further to try out one of the WANG's 2204. It's the same circuit. Sure you can question the transformers but you are going to play this thing loud and kick it in the nuts with an OD. Tell me this doesn't sound good. Also handwired?? You can get in and swap a few minor parts and you too can end up with one of the best sounding 2204/JMP style amps ever! ( my rewired Laney to 2204 is exactly that, killer)

Back