What’s the first album to use Mesa Rectifier

Dave Jerden has contradicted himself on whether a Dual Recto or Bogner Ecstasy was actually used as the "mids" amp on Dirt (September 29, 1992).

These other albums come to mind:

Tool - Undertow (April 6, 1993)
King's X - Dogman (January 18, 1994)
Soundgarden - Superunknown (March 8, 1994)

Most of these were blended with Marshalls.

Last edited:
Dave Jerden has contradicted himself on whether a Dual Recto or Bogner Ecstasy was actually used as the "mids" amp on Dirt (September 29, 1992).

Candlebox - Candlebox (July 20, 1993)

Candlebox’s first album was all Peavey VTM. He added the Dual Rectifier for the tour, but it’s not on the album.

I remember specifically reading somewhere, back in the day, that Neal Schon used the ‘brand new’ Mesa Boogie Rectifier for this Hardline album in 1992.

He thanks Mesa Boogie Amplifiers in the liner notes also… I just checked the CD.

but who really knows, around the same time, he was shilling for Crate Amps.

4D92C64C-3AEF-4877-8493-D391D16CB33E.jpeg

There’s another, Winger’s 1993 Pull album.
Reb Beach specifically mentions the Mesa Boogie Rectifier along with Reinhold Bogner’s #3 Ecstasy 100B which he used together …
(On a sidenote, that same Ecstasy was used by George Lynch on the Sacred Groove album and by the Scorpions on their Face The Heat release, I bought the amplifier from Reinhold and it was shipped to me from the Scorpions who were recording in Vancouver Canada at the time)

DEB2D7CC-757A-4BEA-A5E7-FCE753C25BAA.jpeg

Last edited:
I would think an artist from the 80s shred scene rather than an emerging 90s artist. The Recto was designed for shred and fell bass ackwards into the grunge era

interesting theme repeating itself here (and everyone probably already knows this) but it seems that the guitar sounds we love on most albums in the last couple of decades aren't a single amp, but rather a combination of kick ass amps.

Candlebox - Candlebox (July 20, 1993)

I have a guitar world interview where Jerry’s says he used dual rectifier. That’s what made me think of this

interesting theme repeating itself here (and everyone probably already knows this) but it seems that the guitar sounds we love on most albums in the last couple of decades aren't a single amp, but rather a combination of kick ass amps.
This is always the case . So iv always picked two as my main amp . This is very true

Exactly. Plus a lot of that depends on who is the producer. Nobody really cares what the name on the amp says. Its all about what kind of sound it can get on the track. Petrucci's Images and Words distorted sound on some tracks were blended with a Zoom s.s. half rack thing. Its not enough that when you take it away the whole sound changes, but enough to hear that something is missing.

Back