Advice: Bridge Pickup for alder super strat

Bxlxaxkxe

Amp ho
Recently traded for an Ernie Ball Cutlass HSS and it’s a great guitar. Stock ceramic bridge pickup is low output and I could totally live with it, but I feel like there’s some room for improvement for my taste. It can be a touch harsh on the top and could use some more mids.

I like low output pickups in my Les Paul, but I’m wondering if something a little hotter for this strat would get me where I want to be. Hotter pickup usually means more mids and sweeter top which would compliment this guitar. It has less inherent mids compared to the LP and generally has more bite in the top ( due to bolt on maple neck).

I’m scared of going full on super hot pickup though. Any recommendations on something that can still kill for low/mid gain stuff but also crush for saturated hard rock stuff?

I've had great results with Suhr SSH+ in an alder super strat but also had a maple top. I just built a parstcaster super strat and put a Duncan 78 in it. It's mahogany with a maple top though. I haven't spent much time with it but if I dont like it, Scottosan is going to be my first choice.

Last edited:
I have some of Scottosan's pickups going into my explorer based on the reviews here. He was super easy to order from and quick. Also his prices are awesome.

I have the suhr aldrich in my LP and I love those. I also have BKP warpig in the bridge of my aviator super strat. It's hot and brutal pickup so maybe a ways away from what you are looking for.

I put SD custom 5 in my Charvel and I'm really digging it. I had the full shred in before and hated it. Sounded like a single coil on palm mutes.

Is a ~9k pickup going to be hot enough? There are lots of options in that range. Like the Tone Nerd 7d8, Suhr SSV and Thorns, Duncan '78, Jalen Origin, Pariah White, and probably more. Of those that I've tried the Duncan was the brightest and prob not what you're looking for but the Pariah White has the slightly rolled off top. Jalen Origin brighter than Pariah but closer to that than a Duncan '78. Have not tried the Tone Nerd 7d8.

I have an Alder w maple top Super Strat with roasted maple neck that I put a Jalen Fair Warning in and it is tits now. But it needed a lower value volume pot.

Scott’s pickups are on equal ground with my MCPs, and Wagners. Doesn’t get any better than that for new production stuff, imo. Plus he charges WAY less.
If you want to go Duncan the Custom is my go to in my Charvels, which are Alder(08/09 USAs). But you’ll pay less for one of Scott’s and sound better.

Recently traded for an Ernie Ball Cutlass HSS and it’s a great guitar. Stock ceramic bridge pickup is low output and I could totally live with it, but I feel like there’s some room for improvement for my taste. It can be a touch harsh on the top and could use some more mids.

I like low output pickups in my Les Paul, but I’m wondering if something a little hotter for this strat would get me where I want to be. Hotter pickup usually means more mids and sweeter top which would compliment this guitar. It has less inherent mids compared to the LP and generally has more bite in the top ( due to bolt on maple neck).

I’m scared of going full on super hot pickup though. Any recommendations on something that can still kill for low/mid gain stuff but also crush for saturated hard rock stuff?
great playing fiddle isn't it? those pickups are really well eq'd...but they need a little edge to get where you need it. Congrats on the Axe!

...i'll echo others... the ToneNerd pups are exceptional got a roxy and a Wicked8.

great playing fiddle isn't it? those pickups are really well eq'd...but they need a little edge to get where you need it. Congrats on the Axe!

...i'll echo others... the ToneNerd pups are exceptional got a roxy and a Wicked8.
It really is. Felt comfortable and at home immediately and I’m an LP guy.

Noted on the ToneNerd stuff. Talked with Scott earlier and order has been placed for a Sunset Strip

It really is. Felt comfortable and at home immediately and I’m an LP guy.

Noted on the ToneNerd stuff. Talked with Scott earlier and order has been placed for a Sunset Strip
since you're a LP guy....curious of your fist impression of the neck?

Last edited:
Felt at home right away. It’s just “right” to me. EB has my attention now.
yep...lol... was shocked at the neck on mine...like a bat, lol
i guess i wasn't really expecting a Strat style guitar with that fat of neck. it feels good though, and fun to play.

Still in love with the Pariah Pasadena White I put in my alder strat. Also a big fan of the Duncan Custom/59 Hybrid. Both have tons of clarity and string separation, and clean up beautifully with the volume knob - but both can sound huge with plenty of chunk when feeding a high gain amp.

Last edited:
Back