Reverb advice: Lost package

scriptphase

Purchased a guitar via Reverb on 8/24, label created that day, but the package was shipped on either the 25th or 26th. Estimated delivery date was August 30th. UPS hasn’t updated the tracking since September 1. Talked to an agent in my local depot last week and she said the last physical scan was in California at the very beginning of package acceptance. Package is AWOL with no delivery time/schedule or movement.

I paid with PayPal. Reverb policy is you can’t file a claim on lost packages until 14 days after no updates within tracking, but UPS has already updated tracking for no reason twice (no movement), so I don’t trust them very much right now to not update tracking again for no good reason.

What would you do?

Ride out this 14 day policy or try to file a claim with PayPal, since that’s who I paid through?

Let reverb know that there is a problem now. At least make them aware.
Sit tight, I've had packages show up late with no tracking.
You will get your money back if it doesn't show regardless of seller. They are solid when it comes to that.
They better for the fees they're charging.

I run a warehouse ....... I deal with UPS claims and red tape all day long ...
" Usually " because you didn't sign for anything ... it was never attempted to be delivered .... my opinion is .. it's on the seller .. he was the last person to see it ..... you never took ownership of any kind ....
I would ask the seller for a refund ...... it's his problem ..... until they have proof you signed for it .

I’m not sure where your located but for me anything out of California goes mia for about two to three days before it shows up on tracking again.

The package is not going to update while it is en route unless it switches trucks or planes. Also Monday was a national holiday.

In my opinion, there isn't much the seller can do at this point. He can't go down to UPS and find out where the package is. At UPS, they're going to look at the same scan info you are looking at. He can't hop in a big brown truck and start pulling over every UPS truck he sees and search them. :)

The seller can not refund you at this point because this guitar is probably going to shortly after end up at your house. You'll have the guitar and the money and let's be reasonable, the seller hasn't done anything wrong at this point. He's at UPS's mercy the same as you are. Now if the guitar goes through the period Reverb requires and it still isn't delivered, you can assume it is lost and of course you will get your money back.

Also, most importantly, if he used Reverb's safe shipping option, it is Reverb requiring you to wait 14 days, not the seller. If I was the buyer I would be going crazy wanting my new guitar too. But you put USPS, Fed Ex or UPS in between the seller and the buyer and they are going to do whatever they want and they don't seem to answer to anyone.

What is the date of the very first scan by UPS? Not the date the label was created but the date someone from UPS first touched the package? You said above shipped the 25th or 26th but you should be able to see exactly what day they got their hands on it.

I get very nervous of all shipping companies now are suspect but it works most of the time. Had a high dollar weapon in limbo for 3 weeks. We were dead in the water then one day… it was there. Waiting is the hardest part

I get very nervous of all shipping companies now are suspect but it works most of the time. Had a high dollar weapon in limbo for 3 weeks. We were dead in the water then one day… it was there. Waiting is the hardest part
Do tell? :)

Out of Albuquerque NM, a buddy of mine sent an uncommon all matching Walther K43 sniper rifle.. it did not move for 17 days. Then all of a sudden it was in Memphis.. 3 days later it was here. Wtf happened between no man’s land ?? Fuckers at UPS rubbing their balls on it getting hard ons trying to fit their wieners down the bore. Who knows. The problem with this stuff; it’s not replaceable… like a Caswell. Or a Morin, a 59LP. Etc etc. I get very nervous sending non replaceable items. Insurance is fine but I’d rather have the item. Prior to Covid, things were a bit better. Now it’s like the world is acceptably mediocre. We accept what they provide.. we can bitch but it usually falls on deaf ears. As if, no one cares. 😕. Having said that my local folks are great. As I say. Most of the time it works… occasionally it doesn’t.

What is the date of the very first scan by UPS? Not the date the label was created but the date someone from UPS first touched the package? You said above shipped the 25th or 26th but you should be able to see exactly what day they got their hands on it.
Hey Curt. UPS shipping on the customer side isn’t that detailed anymore. Used to be. Not sure what you get to see on your side as a merchant nowadays. All I see is August 24, 11:25 PM “label created” and September 1 4:01 AM “on the way”. All the stuff that happened along the way (departure from California, stop in Albuquerque, routed down here to Alamogordo) all disappeared once the September 1 update happened. None of that shit happened anyway, though.

Tracking shows it’s been in my town since September 1, but the UPS agent at my local depot said all that’s actually happened is a physical origin scan in California when the package was accepted. I can’t remember whether she said it was the 25th or 26th, but that doesn’t show up in tracking on the customer side. Tracking the customer sees is not actually a reflection of where the package is. it’s a combination of physical scans and projected time tables and routes of where it’s likely to be. The tracking UPS sees internally is way different then what the customer gets. Maybe you know this, but it was news to me. Weird AF.

Last edited:
The package is not going to update while it is en route unless it switches trucks or planes. Also Monday was a national holiday.

In my opinion, there isn't much the seller can do at this point. He can't go down to UPS and find out where the package is. At UPS, they're going to look at the same scan info you are looking at. He can't hop in a big brown truck and start pulling over every UPS truck he sees and search them. :)

The seller can not refund you at this point because this guitar is probably going to shortly after end up at your house. You'll have the guitar and the money and let's be reasonable, the seller hasn't done anything wrong at this point. He's at UPS's mercy the same as you are. Now if the guitar goes through the period Reverb requires and it still isn't delivered, you can assume it is lost and of course you will get your money back.

Also, most importantly, if he used Reverb's safe shipping option, it is Reverb requiring you to wait 14 days, not the seller. If I was the buyer I would be going crazy wanting my new guitar too. But you put USPS, Fed Ex or UPS in between the seller and the buyer and they are going to do whatever they want and they don't seem to answer to anyone.
I’ve got another week till I can file the claim. I’m not looking to screw anybody over.

I didn't know UPS was limiting what the customer can see now. It must be nice to not have to answer to anyone right? Crazy
It’s all been a bit sobering. The Easter Bunny isn’t real, King Kong Bundy didn’t break Hulk Hogan’s ribs, and now UPS tracking is fake news. What’s next…the guys from Warrant didn’t actually play their own solos?

Yeah, I've had this nonsense happen before, too. Nothing for weeks, then it suddenly shows up. So its a possibility.

As a seller on Reverb, I ALWAYS buy Reverb protection if its something bigger. Pickups, pedals, etc. I don't really worry about and use USPS for most of that kind of stuff. Anything else, Reverb protection. Shit gets lost or the buyer has an issue with the shipping, you just email Reverb and they take care of everything while keeping you updated on what's going on. They make it real easy.

I'd just wait it out.

But, just remember, you paid via PayPal. Reverb can have their policies all they want, but they can't stop you from filing a claim with PayPal, should another week or 2 fly by. Because, guess what, when you do file a claim with PayPal, Reverb will move like jack rabbits. PayPal will dip into their account, just like they would any of us. If you want swift action, should nothing happen to your satisfaction, skip Reverb, and go to PayPal. You'll never see Reverb spring into action so fast. Reverb usually takes care of business, but waiting 3-4 days for them to respond to emails, and no phone Customer Service is horse shit. I've had a few instances with refunds and returns, and Reverb dicks around with their shitty 3-4 days to answer an email, then you respond, and wait another 3-4 days for them. PayPal is you're ace in the hole. USE IT, if it gets to that point. Reverb persuades people from filing PayPal claims for a reason.

Last edited:
I'd just wait it out.

But, just remember, you paid via PayPal. Reverb can have their policies all they want, but they can't stop you from filing a claim with PayPal, should another week or 2 fly buy. Because, guess what, when you do file a claim with PayPal, Reverb will move like jack rabbits. PayPal will dip into their account, just like they would any of us. If you want swift action, should nothing happen to your satisfaction, skip Reverb, and go to PayPal. You'll never see Reverb spring into action so fast. Reverb usually takes care of business, but waiting 3-4 days for Reverb to respond to emails is horse shit.
Wait? Play one against another ? How and why? I like this

Wait? Play one against another ? How and why? I like this
Well, think about it this way - REVERB is the seller, not the guy that shipped the guitar. If you file a "My package is lost, I want my money back" claim, PayPal goes after Reverb. If you want Reverb to get on the stick, that'll do it - Trust me. It won't be 3-4 days, you'll get an email that same day you filed the claim.

But, give it time. I'd atleast give it another week. If nobody's got answers, play the PayPal card. Reverb doesn't want to have PayPal breathing down their neck. Skip Reverb, and file a PayPal claim.

Last edited:
Back