What Mesa?

TX6Strings

Hey guys - Someone’s selling this local to me. They have it listed as a Mark V. Obviously it’s not but what is it? A Mark I or II? I don’t think it’s a III. It’s in kinda roughly shape. Is it worth picking up?

Attachments

• 5324BD98-D389-481D-AECD-8E031B4EE5C1.png
    5324BD98-D389-481D-AECD-8E031B4EE5C1.png
    5.7 MB · Views: 96
  • E598CE6E-3D01-496B-8A1E-AED023A3F1DE.png
    E598CE6E-3D01-496B-8A1E-AED023A3F1DE.png
    5 MB · Views: 96
It looks like a 60 watt Mark IIB.

It also looks to be modded. On the back, the knob on the left is not stock.

Last edited:
Even given the condition of the amp?
Doesn't look too bad to me? These loaded 2Bs are 1500 all day; then add the loop mod + shipping both ways, plus Mike isn't modding anymore and yes I think it's a good deal. It should sound like a really good Mk III with more vintage-y tone and more gain; plus a loop that works well vs a 2B stock loop that sucks

Everyone around here just loves vintage and raw around here hey?? Gotta be vintage. No modern tones in this place. Nope.

Ya, pick it up if you want to sound like "bark at the moon" or something.

I'm just bugging, looks like a good deal actually.

Everyone around here just loves vintage and raw around here hey?? Gotta be vintage. No modern tones in this place. Nope.

Ya, pick it up if you want to sound like "bark at the moon" or something.

I'm just bugging, looks like a good deal actually.
Nope doesn’t gotta be vintage and raw, just gotta be good. For modern and good: Rev 1 Uber, CCV, Badlander, Megalith Beta, Reason SM50 and Tim Schroeder’s amps. Modern and good is just a rare find, but good is good. Most modern stuff tends to sadly way too often just be neutered versions of raw and vintage amps. Who needs that? Not me

Nope doesn’t gotta be vintage and raw, just gotta be good. For modern and good: Rev 1 Uber, CCV, Badlander, Megalith Beta, Reason SM50 and Tim Schroeder’s amps. Modern and good is just a rare find, but good is good. Most modern stuff tends to sadly way too often just be neutered versions of raw and vintage amps. Who needs that? Not me
Badlander?? C'mon.

Modern stuff isn't just neutered versions of vintage amps. They are amps that work better with today's tonal needs when recording and playing live. Are you saying a DSL-100 is a neutered version of a jcm-800? I don't think so.

Badlander?? C'mon.

Modern stuff isn't just neutered versions of vintage amps. They are amps that work better with today's tonal needs when recording and playing live. Are you saying a DSL-100 is a neutered version of a jcm-800? I don't think so.
Well it’s not everyone’s cup of tea (I don’t like it for some things), but overall I enjoy it a lot

I’m trying to not say bad things about other brands, but if some feel those amps are better for “today’s tonal needs” that’s very sad to me. The DSL is it’s own flavor (not like an 800) and a good amp for the price, but not an amazing amp. I think others should just AB what they can and decide for themselves. That’s how I’ve come to my opinions. If I don’t AB I hold off on any strong opinions. The good modern amps aren’t neutered versions of stuff, but that’s few and far between IME. The modern stuff I’ve kept are the exceptions that to me actually held up next to things like good modded Marshall’s, stock ones boosted or iic+. It’s a deceptively tall order

Last edited:
Well it’s not everyone’s cup of tea (I don’t like it for some things), but overall I enjoy it a lot

I’m trying to not say bad things about other brands, but if some feel those amps are better for “today’s tonal needs” that’s very sad to me. The DSL is it’s own flavor and a good amp for the price, but not an amazing amp. I think others should just AB what they can and decide for themselves. That’s how I’ve come to my opinions. If I don’t AB I hold off on any strong opinions
The Badlander ain't exactly the best example of a good modern amp IMO, just sayin.

Why's it sad to you? Some people have different opinions on what sounds good to them and have different tonal needs that aren't really based on any vintage style amp tones. Isn't it their right to have an opinion, even if it's not the cool opinion?? How is that sad?

I think a lot of people have come to their opinions based on what people around here say is the right opinion to have. Essentially a bunch of sheep.

The Badlander ain't exactly the best example of a good modern amp IMO, just sayin.

Why's it sad to you? Some people have different opinions on what sounds good to them and have different tonal needs that aren't really based on any vintage style amp tones. Isn't it their right to have an opinion, even if it's not the cool opinion?? How is that sad?

I think a lot of people have come to their opinions based on what people around here say is the right opinion to have. Essentially a bunch of sheep.
Have you played one at volume above 9 o clock on it and with a good boost in front of it? Not saying it’s this must have amazing amp, it’s certainly not for everyone, but for sure has a place for me. One of the most growly amps I’ve heard on powerchords, but not the most organic and I understand sounds boxy and congested until it gets loud enough

Everyone is entitled to their opinions. That’s how it should be, but the list of guys who love some of those amps and actually heard some of the ones I’d recommend (and preferably in an AB context) would be a very small handful most likely. I’ve even seen this in the making with some of my friends I’ve made over the years. Maybe they’d argue or didn’t like me at first, but just look at the before and after with the gear they have now and the arguing only made our bond stronger now. Also with one friend of mine in particular, none of these amps are vintage. He has a ccv, other Cameron mods, a Wizard MTL, early Rev Uberschall and other stuff bc he plays modern metal. Basically a lot of the modern stuff that’s actually good plus also various mark and early Recto’s he has. I know what he’s looking for and I understand some have specific needs and we all do what we can to get the best sounding gear with the needed features. He had Engl’s, EVH’s, Friedman’s and bunch of other not as good stuff before. I can assure you no amp that myself or the guys on here that I actually like are keeping amps based on what gets glowing reviews here and especially not by those stupid YouTube reviewers, but you are absolutely right, there are sheep here and most other forums. AB comparisons imo are how to really get good informed opinions. Sometimes it can make me sell very hot items, but sadly not super often

Last edited:
Badlander?? C'mon.

Actually, yes I'll go ahead and say a DSL "sounds" like a neutered JCM 800. It's in the JCM 800 ballpark, but a DSL doesn't sound as good as a JCM 800. And yes, I've played both many times...too many times to count.

Back