New Jackson USA Series

What irritates me about this is no stainless frets. I mean luminlay are cool but that's really not a huge upgrade. I remember this one guy who used to always be like "I would buy this guitar if it had stainless frets" and it used to irritate the fuck out of me. Now I'm that guy. I just prefer them now. The durability is nice but I also really like the snappy feel of them.

I don't know. I haven't played a US Jackson or a MiJ one. I have only owned the JS, X, and Pro series models. I wish there was some place local to me that I could try a US, MiJ, and a Pro series
You can at my crib 🤘

It's here. Actually going in for new Power switch and impedance selector.
Along with a 93 Mono, 88 Cameron and 83 800. Jackson USA, 2 DNKY and a Pro Soloist :rock:
I think I'm going to try a Gower next. I'm on the wait list for the Headfirst Atla 100 that Shea is building next. I'm a bit nervous on this one but Jason is extremely knowledgeable so I'm sure it's going to be great

I too love Jacksons. Got my first in’85. I have a number of custom shop guitars that I spec’d and ordered as recently as 2021.

My $0.02:
  • It pains me to say this: Jackson has been in decline for years
  • It is pretty well know that several of the brands in the specialty brands division share staff and workspace. Especially Charvel and Jackson
  • Sadly, Charvel and EVH are much hotter brands at the moment than Jackson
I think resources are being shifted towards EVH and Charvel. It is simple business: focus where you can make the most money with the least downside.

In ‘18 I got a custom shop Dinky that I spec’d and ordered. Took around 12 months from order to delivery. Great playing guitar. Some minor blems out of the box. I was able to address all the small issues myself. Still have that guitar, it is my #1.

In ‘21 received another custom shop Dinky that I spec’d and ordered. I was quoted 12-14 months for delivery. I had ordered the guitar in early ‘19 and it took 26 months for delivery. In Dec ‘20 or so the guitar was delivered with a severely warped neck. Jackson rebuilt the guitar and delivered it in May ‘21. Given that Covid had closed Jackson USA for much of ’20 I did not think that it was unreasonable on their part… other than sending a neck that you could damn near play around a corner.

I had also put in an order for a really sweet Soloist in Aug 2019. Quote was 14-16 months. In Nov ‘21 I had my rep reach out for a status. Their response was: ”another 24-36 months”. Now that pissed me right the fuck off. Cancelled the order and got a full refund.

I spoke to Mike Shannon at 2019 NAMM he was telling me that he ends up touching almost every guitar coming off the line for Jackson, Charvel, and EVH in some way, shape, or form.

There were pics posted around the same time by someone who toured the Corona specialty brands work area. They showed EVH, Charvel, and Jacksons intermixed on the same racks. There were also pics of the same employee working on different brands.

The short of it, the specialty brands division is doing the best they can with tough circumstances and are stretched pretty damn thin.

It seems to me that Jackson simply is not a priority. As a result we are seeing quality issues and lagging production. My take is that the MIJ and this new Soloist are attempts to keep Jackson USA in a position to sell to a decidely niche market while not taking too much effort or resources from the other Specialty Brands Division brands that are seeing greater demand.

Last edited:
Doesn't feel like enough guitar and quality parts for that price.

They did have a kick ass chick ripping on it in the introduction video though. She makes Nita Strauss look/sound average. Great vibrato and phrasing vs running a couple of scales and making a face.

I had a Wildcard MIK, and it was outstanding. Blew away the Pro Series. REAL FLOYD too. But, I hated the Fishmans. They were pricey, but I got mine for $1200 new because they were blowing them out/discontinued. I think they were somewhat of a flop, since most level-headed people wouldn't pay their initial price of $1799. I sure as hell wouldn't. But, quality was top-notch, made by World Music in Korea.

Jackson should come out with more internet star models. Maybe a Tone King V? The Darrell Braun USA model, though he may be Canadian?

If they aren't offering Pile of Skulls, Lightning Sky, Eerie Dess, and Snakeskin finishes, what's even the point. A non-graphic Jackson is boring af.
I used to have lightning sky SL-1 and sold it like a moron , I love that finish, I just feel like these new ones are not a "good deal" and a bigger Jackson fan boy you will not find

DSCN3090.JPG

Last edited:
I just hope this is the start, offering HH and some classic finishes in the future. Glad they’re building production models in the US. Looking forward to seeing what they do with this line.

I've had 5 custom shop soloists,all with cool paint jobs, ie: desert island,Stonehenge lightning,granite,Saturn. The crazy stuff they'd do on a guitar is what got me into them in the first place.The pointy headstock, especially reversed, works on a jacskson....FF to 2022.Stock choices are just plain colors these days,no roadrunner Wyle e coyotee/ lightning sky paint jobs anymore( only custom shop).Of course nothing wrong with a plain pink or blue soloist either.
But as others said,at least put ss.frets,and other nice features on them. By contrast,when buy a tom a or suhr, you get ss frets,a full paper document,a fret protector,other accessories, and often a custom shop logo case,if you want to pay some more..I have a masterbuilt charvel that came with a custom shop logo case,and I have a custom shop charvel that came with nothing more than a stock skb case lol.
I just hope these new models are valued properly.we'll see.Id like to try one in person first.

Last edited:
So today Jackson announced their new SL3 USA soloist. Looks great. Soooo we now have MIJ and what appears to be a “stripped down” USA- for the same price? My understanding is this is where the made in Japan line fills the void between the pro series and all out USA line starting at $4500ish. I have played and loved Jackson’s for almost 30 years, I own 4 USA models but I can’t understand the logic behind this. Anyone else?

:D

Back