Installing Grovers on a Kluson'd Les Paul

ZEN Amps

Talk me into it. A have a bunch of boring reasons for considering it but am more interested in the thoughts of anyone how has done it.

It's for my goldtop that is setup for lower tunings with 11-52's. Happy to enlarge the holes, guitar has already been refinned anyway.

Most importantly, what would Chad K do?

You mean classic Grover rotomatics or Grover vintage version ? I have locking rotomatics on Heritage 80 and they work perfect.

I don't get the Grover hate. I prefer Gotoh, but I've never really had any problem with Grovers. They're definitely an upgrade in terms of functionality to Klusons.

Never tried Hipshots, but they've got a look. I think they're kinda ugly, personally, especially with the plates, but I'd love to give them a try.

But if you're going for best of the best, I think Gotoh 510's are it. You can order them without the ugly pear-like button too.

Last edited:
Ok you two, there can only be one winner... and go!
Gotoh or Grover, to me it's six of one, half dozen of the other. I think Grovers look better and when I do lean in the direction of auto-locking tuners I think Grover's mechanism is leagues better than Gotoh's.

Either way you need to ream, and doing so doesn't bother me.

It's an R8 so yep holes will need to be reamed. Cue smutty jokes...

Ok you two, there can only be one winner... and go!
Kluson Revolutions. Only correct answer. They should drop right in. Just have to get either press-in bushing type, or threaded. I'm guessing they're press-ins.

Last edited:
I don't get the Grover hate. I prefer Gotoh, but I've never really had any problem with Grovers. They're definitely an upgrade in terms of functionality to Klusons.

Never tried Hipshots, but they've got a look. I think they're kinda ugly, personally, especially with the plates, but I'd love to give them a try.

But if you're going for best of the best, I think Gotoh 510's are it. You can order them without the ugly pear-like button too.
Hipshots are Ugly & Make almost every guitar look ugly. it's the button style they use.

Back