Reverbđź–•

I’m not a fan of it but if I have to do it to sell a high ticket item here or there than so be it.

What I worry about is whether Etsy has the security to assure a massive hack doesn’t happen because they store more information than the IRS.

I have no problem stating I sold something and broke even or lost my ass to the feds. I just hate Etsy is keeping SSN’s to do it.

Yeah. It’s bullshit. How many times can they tax a used item?

Who really has original receipts for gear you bought 10-15-20 years ago?

Stuff I bought on eBay years ago, they have no history of the purchase now. IRS can really put the screws to you in an audit if you don’t have your ducks in a row.

Actually they need a FEIN to report to the IRS. If you are a business you have an FEIN specifically for the business, if you are an individual your FEIN is your SSN.
Could you start a business and register a FEIN in place of a SSN to remove the need for them storing your SSN?

I don’t believe I’ve ever made a profit selling gear. Not a single time.

I’ve always been of the mind that I can give someone a slightly better deal than I got.

GTFO, Reverb.

It's not Reverb. It was part of a bill signed by Joe Biden requiring banks, etc to report transactions over 600 so that they can tax you on it.
Well, it was one paragraph of one of the huge relief bills. And there is a group of Dem congressmen lobbying a new bill to amend the $600 limit up to $6k

I agree it was a huge blunder that penalizes hobbyists and collectors; while their goal was to tax the “pinterest and ebay sales are my income” crowd that has gone relatively untaxed before. Stupid to include.

What a surprise - our representatives from both red and blue have no clue how normal people go about their day to day.

I don’t believe I’ve ever made a profit selling gear. Not a single time.
This is the part that makes it seem like such a waste of time. Can I just tell the IRS, "I don't keep receipts for gear transactions where I lost money, I only keep the receipts when I made money...and I don't have any receipts."

Back