Trying to setup a GOTOH 1996T but somethings just not right . Lots of images .

ccn

Banned
Only way I can achieve a playable height with the strings is to have the bridge studs set super high on this GOTOH , see first two images . All the images of the bridge set at normal height reveals how ridiculously low the action is with the strings actually laying on top of the fret wire .

The string height does seem fine at the Nut however , I only have the low E string attached to the bridge .

Thank you for any insight .

Attachments

• P1040835.JPG
    P1040835.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 96
  • P1040836.JPG
    P1040836.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 90
  • P1040855.JPG
    P1040855.JPG
    864.5 KB · Views: 76
  • P1040859.JPG
    P1040859.JPG
    857 KB · Views: 71
  • P1040862.JPG
    P1040862.JPG
    807.5 KB · Views: 69
  • P1040864.JPG
    P1040864.JPG
    798 KB · Views: 75
  • P1040870.JPG
    P1040870.JPG
    819.5 KB · Views: 93
It’s a top mount bridge so it will need to be higher up to have any pull-up range. You’ll have to set the post/bridge height to get the right action on the fretboard.

If you want it to sit lower, you’d need to adjust the neck angle flatter (which may involve removing neck shims if there are any, or routing the neck pocket lower/flatter if there are not) and also getting a lower profile pickup ring.

Reactions: ccn
With a Floyd on a flat top guitar, I 'd use lower profile bridge pickup ring for sure. On your first pic, the posts are somewhat high (but not overly so) but the Floyd is not parallel to the body, which lowers the strings height. On the third pic, the Floyd posts are way low. As always, the truth is in the middle. Posts a bit higher than third pic, Floyd nicely parallel to the body and lower profile bridge pickup ring. That would be perfect.

The first couple of pics look fine IF you would just loosen the springs to get it parallel to the body. Floyds are generally meant to float but if you don't want it to float you generally can't deck it like a Fender tremolo. It needs to be blocked from the back.

Thank you gentlemen , this Floyd is not meant to float it's just dive only . So I gather I should set the posts between the first and third image height wise and go with a lower pickup ring .

The neck currently has no shims so it looks like I may need to make the neck pocket slightly deeper for everything to work correctly because currently the action from the middle of the neck up is too low with lots of buzzing . The action seems OK from the first to around the fifth fret however.

Appreciate the feedback

Don't do anything to the neck pocket. Just set the posts so the action is perfect with your neck as is. Then you can make the floyd dive only easily from inside. Just glue a small block of wood with the right dimension as in this pic (it is fully reversible if needed unlike modifying the neck cavity) :

XX12taA.jpg

this Floyd is not meant to float it's just dive only
Then you need to raise it up so that the action is correct at the 12th fret (you ALWAYS need to do that, float or not) and then block it from the back like posted above. There are devices you can buy to have an adjustable block so you can dial it in. Some methods are noisier (clanking against the stop) than others.

Last edited:
The Floyd posts will need to be sky high , much much higher than that of the first image of my original post to achieve good string height in the higher frets . The bridge would sit a good half inch off the body . I understand what you're saying about blocking the back that seems easy enough . Maybe I need to see what the neck does by turning the truss bar a bit .

It says that tremelo stopper is for guitar with a floating bridge . My guitar has no recess cutout for the floyd , it's impossible to get any movement other than downward movement with this .

Should I try to adjust the neck at all ?

Truly appreciate the advice from everybody.

It says that tremelo stopper is for guitar with a floating bridge . My guitar has no recess cutout for the floyd , it's impossible to get any movement other than downward movement with this .

Should I try to adjust the neck at all ?

Truly appreciate the advice from everybody.
That stopper can be used, it's also adjustable, so you can adjust the angle of the bridge with the turn of a screw. Once your bridge is where it has to be, it's a floating bridge until you block it with something like this.

Adjust your truss rod accordingly, it has nothing to do with bridge height.

That stopper can be used, it's also adjustable, so you can adjust the angle of the bridge with the turn of a screw. Once your bridge is where it has to be, it's a floating bridge until you block it with something like this.

Adjust your truss rod accordingly, it has nothing to do with bridge height.
Is one stopper enough , it looks like one on each side of the block would be far more effective .

Is one stopper enough , it looks like one on each side of the block would be far more effective .
No one in the center would work better. It will let the bridge settle on the studs more evenly.

You may want to raise the bridge where it needs to be to see if you need a longer spring block.

I decided to remove the neck and look it over and all seemed OK so I placed it back on the body but decided to not screw it back on since it has a very tight fit as is .

I strung it up and to my amazement all the strings are now at the proper height , I couldn't believe it so I put the screws back in and tightened it up again but not as tight as I had it before and it looks like everything's OK now. I'm truly shocked .

Thanks to all who responded , I did order that trem block from the link provided so I'll be waiting on that .

Hard to tell from the pics but maybe it wasnt fully seated in the pocket before. Also if the neck screws don’t pass easily though the body they can bind in the body when you screw the neck down and hold it up out of the bottom of the pocket. Tons of guitars out there have too-small screw holes in the body.

Routing the neck pocket lower is probably the most correct solution to lower everything down if it’s still too high, you’ll need a router and a template bit will ball bearing at the top. And a thinner pickup ring (hopefully pickup route is deep enough).

A simpler solution could be to put a shim at the front of the neck pocket, which will reduce neck angle.

Thank you gentlemen , this Floyd is not meant to float it's just dive only . So I gather I should set the posts between the first and third image height wise and go with a lower pickup ring .

The neck currently has no shims so it looks like I may need to make the neck pocket slightly deeper for everything to work correctly because currently the action from the middle of the neck up is too low with lots of buzzing . The action seems OK from the first to around the fifth fret however.

Appreciate the feedback
Unless you build is dead nuts perfect, you may have to set it up as floating the get the base plate parallel to the body. If it’s off the body I suggest a trem stopper to keep it dive only. It should not lean back like that.

Back