Not your Dads Explorer

BRENTrocks

The 80s were known for pointy guitars with wild colors and blood splatter graphics...double locking tremolos and super-hot humbuckers...

...and camouflage????

Well...someone at Gibson thought so!!!

This is a Gibson Explorer III. 1984, made in Nashville, part of their "designer series" Made for a very short time...1984-1985...these came is a few different color schemes. Most of them came from the factory with the Kahler Flyer tremolo system. 3 P90s, master volume, master tone, 3-way toggle for the bridge and neck pickups, other toggle that controls the middle pickup. I took out the tone pot and installed a kill switch.

Everything else is basically the same as your regular Explorer. It's in pretty good condition for 38 years old. No cracks or breaks.

When I picked this one up today, it had only 1 original p90 in the middle...the neck and bridge pickups were fake import Dimarzio p90s sized humbucker copies. So I installed a Lollar in the bridge, left the original in the middle and installed a Van Zandt in the neck. I swapped cream covers for black. Took out the Kahler, cleaned and lubricated it and put a set of heavy-duty springs on it. Polished the frets and lemon oiled the fretboard. Them put her all back together!

Despite its interesting color scheme, this Explorer has it where it counts. After new strings and setup, this baby friggin rocks!!! The Kahler stays in tune like a champ! And the tone is what you would expect from a solid mahogany p90 guitar. It's a great weight too...under 9 lbs. It has a medium C neck carve and a beautiful, streaky rosewood board.

A really fun guitar!!!

IMG_4613 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4614 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4615 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4616 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4617 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4618 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4619 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4620 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4621 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4622 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4623 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4625 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4626 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4627 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

I have a V from 85, or around then and love the neck on that thing. Probably the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played.
But actually yours being an ‘84 is actually dead on being Dad’s explorer for the folks on here….lol

I had one of those, except I believe it had a hard tail. IIRC. Didn't get along with the P90s, and ended up selling it, but the thing played like a dream.

I had one of those, except I believe it had a hard tail. IIRC. Didn't get along with the P90s, and ended up selling it, but the thing played like a dream.
I had one that was a hard tail too. I love p90s. The Kahler Flyers are hit and miss on weather they stay in tune. I got lucky on this one.

I have a V from 85, or around then and love the neck on that thing. Probably the most comfortable neck I’ve ever played.
But actually yours being an ‘84 is actually dead on being Dad’s explorer for the folks on here….lol
This one has a great neck too!!!

The 80s were known for pointy guitars with wild colors and blood splatter graphics...double locking tremolos and super-hot humbuckers...

...and camouflage????

Well...someone at Gibson thought so!!!

This is a Gibson Explorer III. 1984, made in Nashville, part of their "designer series" Made for a very short time...1984-1985...these came is a few different color schemes. Most of them came from the factory with the Kahler Flyer tremolo system. 3 P90s, master volume, master tone, 3-way toggle for the bridge and neck pickups, other toggle that controls the middle pickup. I took out the tone pot and installed a kill switch.

Everything else is basically the same as your regular Explorer. It's in pretty good condition for 38 years old. No cracks or breaks.

When I picked this one up today, it had only 1 original p90 in the middle...the neck and bridge pickups were fake import Dimarzio p90s sized humbucker copies. So I installed a Lollar in the bridge, left the original in the middle and installed a Van Zandt in the neck. I swapped cream covers for black. Took out the Kahler, cleaned and lubricated it and put a set of heavy-duty springs on it. Polished the frets and lemon oiled the fretboard. Them put her all back together!

Despite its interesting color scheme, this Explorer has it where it counts. After new strings and setup, this baby friggin rocks!!! The Kahler stays in tune like a champ! And the tone is what you would expect from a solid mahogany p90 guitar. It's a great weight too...under 9 lbs. It has a medium C neck carve and a beautiful, streaky rosewood board.

A really fun guitar!!!

IMG_4613 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4614 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4615 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4616 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4617 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4618 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4619 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4620 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4621 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4622 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4623 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4625 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4626 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr

IMG_4627 by brent HENDERSON, on Flickr
this is...kinda weird combo...any chance of a sound sample ?

(dirty if you can)

im courious...this either sounds glorious or totally opposite !

Back