Some fredman mic setup clips : 2 different cabs

VESmedic

Was messing around with some reamps, and a discord board got on the fredman talk pretty hard, so I thought I’d make some clips. First, the cab that is generally most associated with this, my Engl 4x12. Micing the V30. My morin Marshall with peppers dirty tree. This is the Nordstrom sound in a box, simple as that. It sounds like In flames used to.

Second cab I had never tried it on, but I think I really dig it, my EVH 4x12. Used my EL34 100 watt 5153 for that. Red channel, I’ll put up the blue channel sooner or later.

Enjoy!

Edit* added*

Morin Marshall and EVH cab fredman style. Oooofff this rules hard I think.

https://on.soundcloud.com/B7AjvPo9fYGJWpAQ9

Rev F recto: Orange Modern

Last edited:
Both sound good to me, but the V30 clip sounds better IMO. I really like Marshalls with greenbacks but generally for less modern sounds than this. What’s your level balance between the on axis and off axis mics outnof curiosity?

The problem I have with any of the greenback varieties is when pushed too much they get kind of soft sounding, and they get pushed too hard pretty easily with older Marshalls. With my 2204 I have to fiddle around with the volume to find a spot where the power section is filling things out enough but the speakers aren’t losing their punch and bite.

So tell us about the phasing issues with using 2 mics on the same speaker in the context of this technique..?
Phase cancelation is a feature not a bug. In this configuration a lot of what gets phase canceled are unwanted frequencies and noises like fizziness.

Both sound good to me, but the V30 clip sounds better IMO. I really like Marshalls with greenbacks but generally for less modern sounds than this. What’s your level balance between the on axis and off axis mics outnof curiosity?

The problem I have with any of the greenback varieties is when pushed too much they get kind of soft sounding, and they get pushed too hard pretty easily with older Marshalls. With my 2204 I have to fiddle around with the volume to find a spot where the power section is filling things out enough but the speakers aren’t losing their punch and bite.

I agree completely especially about being pushed. I hate super high powered speakers, but 20 or 25 watt speakers like these can get soft and fuzzy real fast. It’s a fine line to make it sounds right for the heavy stuff. But I still love the EVH speakers, surprisingly with more amps than just my EVH which was surprising to me.

As far as level differences, ironically this is unity between them, something that I find never works for me. Usually I have the OA mic about 10 db lower, anymore and it gets way too muddy and too much loss of high end to me, but for some reason this worked, Atleast I thought it did. I’ve read I think that fredman also uses both At unity or so he says, maybe he really does who knows, too many variables between his setup, room, and mine of course.

I just posted my Marshall with the EVH cab same mic setup, you might dig it!

Yeah the Marshall mids match up real well with the EVH greenbacks. I’ve never bothered to try the Fredman setup with my greenback cab but now I think I’ll have to.

Prefer the V30. The GB has a bit too much hair. Did you use one of those Fredman angled dual mic clip holders?

I did, I bought one of the “real” ones that is at the appropriate angel for the effect. I’ve tried to do it myself, and it never came out this good, that’s for sure.

As far as level differences, ironically this is unity between them, something that I find never works for me. Usually I have the OA mic about 10 db lower, anymore and it gets way too muddy and too much loss of high end to me, but for some reason this worked, Atleast I thought it did. I’ve read I think that fredman also uses both At unity or so he says, maybe he really does who knows, too many variables between his setup, room, and mine of course.
I've never found unity to work either. When I first read about this technique years ago, I heard Fredman set the off-axis mic roughly 6-10db lower. That's the same range where I find it to work best for me as well.

Fast forward a few years, and I reached out on an advertisement post for his clip on FB and asked how he liked to blend them. He responded back saying he starts at unity. There is also a video of him on youtube basically advertising the clip, and he was at unity there too with no processing. The tone sounded great and nothing like what I normally get at unity. Granted I have nowhere near his skill, experience, gear, room, etc. lol. But still, it makes me wonder if he dials in the amps with that in mind.

I think I prefer the V30 here. It has a bit more firmness to the impact that I think suits the riffs better.

Added some EQ to the original morin clip. This thing is sounding absolutely nuts right now. Just perfect.

Back