Opinion on the 5150 Iconic combo vs head

gbsmusic

I saw a head version for sale in the classified section. I've heard some very good praise about these amps. I'm just curious for anyone that has tried them both how does the combo sound compared to the Head? I really don't need the volume of the head but I do want the best sound I can get I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one or the other, give me your thoughts good or bad and thank you.

I have the combo. I've used it with the stock speaker as well as a V30. It's the tightest, biggest sounding combo ive ever played. What questions do you have about it?

I have the combo. I've used it with the stock speaker as well as a V30. It's the tightest, biggest sounding combo ive ever played. What questions do you have about it?
I'm glad to hear that does it pull off the brown sound and on the green Channel A blues type break up thank you for your reply

I did a short review of it, I can't imagine thrash or hardcore metal guys not liking it. It is tight as hell, the only thing I didn't like was the burn button. I won't lie, if I see one used down the road I will probably buy it. Its a great sounding amp.

I have the head. Yeah, it’s mass produced with some solid state circuitry, but it sounds good and is fun to play.

I hear that no one has figured out yet how to get to the tubes in the combo.

Last edited:
I'm glad to hear that does it pull off the brown sound and on the green Channel A blues type break up thank you for your reply
Yes. It does a great brown sound with the stock speaker. I haven't really tried it for blues but the clean is good and it also does metal very well with the V30.

I did a short review of it, I can't imagine thrash or hardcore metal guys not liking it. It is tight as hell, the only thing I didn't like was the burn button. I won't lie, if I see one used down the road I will probably buy it. Its a great sounding amp.
I agree about the burn button. To be honest it capable of so much gain that there’s really no need for it. It’s tight too but still got a great feel

I wish they would have just made a 40 watt head and combo as well as the 80 watt head. I'd be tempted to convert a combo to head IF I found a good deal on a combo and it sounds pretty much the same as the head.

Reactions: Geo
Back