To stack or not to stack.

Dyllheaven88

Right now I’m playing my lickliter xd100 through 2 4x12s I have one cab facing me direct and the other facing to my right . I normally stand in the center to create some sort of sound trifecta. I’m wondering about stacking the two 4x12s , really only because who doesn’t like a full stack . Wondering if / what the sonic differences would be ?

🤟

I never stack. Side by side only.

A) I like my hearing
B) you don’t hear the mix from the bottom cab
C) it’s a pain to take down and move. I don’t have roadies and don’t need an accident with my own gear
D) I hate the stereotypes of stacking - it’s the truck nuts of guitarists
E) the only way I’d stack my cabinets is if both were for sale on consignment and I wanted them to get the attention

Last edited:
Never stacked my cabs. Always play through two 4x12's side by side. My Emperor cabs are taller than most (probably all) 4x12's with the speakers in a staggered configuration.

Does this go for all cabinets, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12; always side by side? What is it about the ground that makes sound better ? What about a 2x12 on its short side vs long side?

I have four 4X12's and keep them stacked two on the left and two on the right. Only have the bottom cabs hooked up.

Does this go for all cabinets, 1x12, 2x12, 4x12; always side by side? What is it about the ground that makes sound better ? What about a 2x12 on its short side vs long side?
Cabs couple with the ground resulting in more lows and a generally fuller sound.

Understandable. What if the stage is elevated? Hollow underneath. Obviously some things are uncontrollable.
Even more reason not to stack them since it will be unstable 😂

If the stage is hollow underneath, you’ll have no low end and it will be skewed to high mids and highs. I will put the casters back on with a hollow stage to keep the hollow stage from dampening the cabinets.

Spinal Tap Stonehenge GIF - Spinal Tap Stonehenge Disappointed ...
1664119083623.jpeg

Touching the ground seems to keep intact low end and low mids . They stay firm

Side by side they stay ! Not to derail this thread but 2 creamback h”s paired with 2 gold alnicos is a killer combination!

Side by side, but slants for the projection live. Love a B cab in the room but live they just don't work; for me anyway. That way I can hear myself better.

Back