How To Get Authentic Randy Rhoads Tone

lll

Banned
Man, this vid was a beast to do. Had to polish chops, learn passages more intricately, remember parts I haven't played in decades, lay down some rhythm/harmonies and the editing took forever.

Anyhoo, here it is; how to get *real* Randy Rhoads tone just like on the album:

(My next vid will be Ronni LeTekro of TNT)

I just posted on the subject on his tone challenge I have to say you nailed it! Great job great playing to!
That's for that !!

lll":z3dh28ge said:
Man, this vid was a beast to do. Had to polish chops, learn passages more intricately, remember parts I haven't played in decades, lay down some rhythm/harmonies and the editing took forever.

Thanks!

For those who haven't watched... there's a "secret sauce" piece of gear going on a la Max Norman.

This is key to the tone. So are Altecs, but... most people don't bother to use this.

This is great, like the AMS!!!! I would buy one but they are crazy expensive :doh:

Last edited:
1.jpg

This is all i heard ... :confused:

Chester Nimitz":id82xbv5 said:
1.jpg

This is all i heard ... :confused:

You must have skipped the part about the UA 2-610 tube preamp (loaded with 2x Mullard 4004s & 2x Mullard 4024s).

... and nevermind the fact Max Norman ran Randy's original tone through this legendary microprocessor:

AMS-DMX1580S-Copyright-Vintage-Digital.jpg

:LOL: :LOL:

lll":17pzaoet said:
... and nevermind the fact Max Norman ran Randy's original tone through this legendary microprocessor:

That thing was probably $2,000 back in 1980!
And today, a $200 delay pedal can do the same thing.
:D

Its kind of funny because while Max did use the AMS, he has also described it as having a "hollow" effect which is pretty much what a lot of guys dont like about the BOO album. Double tracked rhythms with that added on top I thought kind of ruined his tone. The 2nd album was mic'ed differently and you can hear the AMS isnt as dominant for the same effect he went for on the 1st album.

Btw III, your clip sounds good but a bit too processed. Randy's core tone always sounded like it had a subtle chorus to it but that was most likely because of the double tracking of the rhythms. Live you can hear some type of chorus, especially on the leads, but it was a bit more subtle than what you dialed in. Just my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. :yes: I know you put in a lot of time for that clip and its awesome that there are still guys out there chasing his tone and his chops!! :thumbsup:

Randy's tone is actually processed a good amount. The AMS is not just a delay, but a harmonizer (like the Eventides of the day) as well.

Double/triple-tracked but also chorusy sparkly shimmer all over the place.

Here's the ISO for Crazy Train:

lll":3u7br0km said:
Randy's tone is actually processed a good amount. The AMS is not just a delay, but a harmonizer (like the Eventides of the day) as well.

Double/triple-tracked but also chorusy sparkly shimmer all over the place.

Here's the ISO for Crazy Train:

I am pretty familiar with the iso tracks and the rhythms are not as processed as your clip. A lot of guys bash Randys tone because of that "Almost flange" type of effect that Max got on those tracks. Heres the article where Max talks about using the AMS .http://jasobrecht.com/randy-rhoads-max-norman-interview/. He also describes getting a "hollow, tubey effect" which is also what a lot of guys dont like about Randys tone either. Leads you could bump up the effect, which sounds like he did, and you dont really have the issues you have in single notes vs. chorded rhythm tracks. Overall I dont think its a good representation of what Randys tone actually was though. DOAM and his live tone was light years better

You can also hear on DOAM that aside from different mic'ing techniques it sounds like Max used that phasey stuff much less. There was much more body in his tone on that album than on the 1st. That top end shimmer is not hard to get using a bright verb on the track itself with the Altecs. You dont know its there but if you take it away it sounds different. Dont know exactly what Max did but thats one way to get it.
For about a year I could never figure out why every time I double tracked my rhythms I could not get away from a heavy phase, tin can, hollow crap sound. I was then taught the differences between using pitch, micro pitch and chorus. Using chorus on double or triple tracked rhythms is tough because of the modulation that chorus' produce. For single tracks they can kick ass and thicken up things, but you cant use it the same way dealing with double and triple tracks. Pitch works because you can dial it in without having the oscillation that chorus does. If you have a chorus on a double tracked rhythm vs. a micro pitch, you can saturate the tracks with that pitch and you will never get the same type of phasing that chorus produces. All in ll you'll wind up being closer to what Max got on BOO using pitch rather than chorus, but its still nowhere near as good as DOAM imo.

Thanks so much for posting this and in depth tutorial and yes, it is very reminiscent of Randy's studio-tone with all of the processing and editing in Max did and what the record sounds like.

I acquired Randy's LIVE tone gear, all vintage gear (D+, Chorus, Phaser, Volume pedal, etc). and put together THE most exact pedalboard anyone has ever made in 40 years!! I built the pedalboard about 3 years ago, but have tweaked it installing a custom looper unit and with era correct components as the original would have had, correct momentary switches to trigger it, and painted them the appropriate color of gray as well as "RANDY RHOADS" and "HANDLE WITH CARE" on the head, cabinet, and pedalboard roadcase! Yes, cabinet has a complete set of Altec 417-8H Series II, just as Randy used!.....and yes, I am am engineer/tech by trade (as well as a musician)! I did make the head custom and kept the white/black theme (putting Randy on the FRONT of the "tribute" head), but looking to make it likewise exact to Randy's including 1979 JMP metal faceplate and adding his head series number to it...gotta keep the Mojo in the air when playing the system! :)

Enjoy!!

Attachments

• 305637413_5500267933392645_2608357439448055005_n.jpg
    305637413_5500267933392645_2608357439448055005_n.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCN0659.JPG
    DSCN0659.JPG
    7 MB · Views: 82
  • DSCN0660.JPG
    DSCN0660.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 80
  • DSCN0661.JPG
    DSCN0661.JPG
    6.2 MB · Views: 89
  • DSCN0663.JPG
    DSCN0663.JPG
    7.1 MB · Views: 70
  • DSCN0664.JPG
    DSCN0664.JPG
    6.4 MB · Views: 70
Thanks so much for posting this and in depth tutorial and yes, it is very reminiscent of Randy's studio-tone with all of the processing and editing in Max did and what the record sounds like.

I acquired Randy's LIVE tone gear, all vintage gear (D+, Chorus, Phaser, Volume pedal, etc). and put together THE most exact pedalboard anyone has ever made in 40 years!! I built the pedalboard about 3 years ago, but have tweaked it installing a custom looper unit and with era correct components as the original would have had, correct momentary switches to trigger it, and painted them the appropriate color of gray as well as "RANDY RHOADS" and "HANDLE WITH CARE" on the head, cabinet, and pedalboard roadcase! Yes, cabinet has a complete set of Altec 417-8H Series II, just as Randy used!.....and yes, I am am engineer/tech by trade (as well as a musician)! I did make the head custom and kept the white/black theme (putting Randy on the FRONT of the "tribute" head), but looking to make it likewise exact to Randy's including 1979 JMP metal faceplate and adding his head series number to it...gotta keep the Mojo in the air when playing the system! :)

Enjoy!!

Maybe a necro bump but this was worth it. That replica live board is awesome! I saw your work on another forum but had not seen the finished product. I think you could market that. Many a nut would love to have one of those.

Question for you, at what point did his Marshalls get the one wire or cascaded mod? Would he have been using those fairly early on or was he just cranking the high treble channel. With a D+ and EQ, there is plenty of gain on tap with just an unmodded NMV. I was thinking of grabbing an 80's D+ that is for sale near me but they get terrible reviews and most people tend to use other OD's in their place.

Back