Help with reverb purchase? Pickup is DOA

i dont need a multimeter...i have a community full of....multimeters !
......................................................................................................................................................................................

+(didn't notice your earlier post)...nobody on the net can help that guy with a problem...bought new thing, its broken, after 'jiggle the wires at the back' all advice is redundant...
if he touches it, warranty is gone...'go to the top of the mountain, there, underneath a thousand year old tree, there you will find multimeter that knows....dont ask how...IT just knows...paaaaleeeeeaseee !

...and instead of helping, it turns into 'smart guitarists own multimeters' topic...'i know my stuff with multimeter' ....its not a degree in tech...he obviously doesnt own one, doesnt use one...WTF are we talking about multimeters ?

but: go to a dealer...thats out of question ?
Your’re not going to void any warranted by using a multimeter. I haven’t read 1 warranty voiding solution in this thread, we’re simply troubleshooting. Did the OP ask if the pickup or the switch is bad? Yes. An you do that without a multimeter? Likely not

I am glad you researched and learned what multimeters were today
...learned?... i identify as one now !!!

soldiers of solder...they get all the chicks !!!

...but at least the OP's axe is good as new ! We did it ! :cheers2:

Last edited:
Was this sold as new? I would defintely get them to knock some money off for your trouble. It's probably an easy fix. I bought a new Ibanez AZ and it arrived with the nut just floating loose probably from a shock in shipping.
Its was sold Used in Mint condition from a dealer. And if I really wanted to nitpick, there are tooling marks on the back of the neck, the nut is slightly off the edge of the fingerboard. Those are little things I can live with as they have next to no impact on the guitar itself.

Fwiw, I brought it to DuBaldo Music this morning and had Pete take a look at it. Its my local shop. I bring all my guitars there for tech work that I can’t do myself. Anyhow, he says the bridge pickup is dead. One of the coils is not working at all and one isn’t getting much signal. He did have a multimeter btw.

He then says Dimarzio is backordered 12-16 weeks :(. The matching color I’d need (black/ white F spaced) isn’t in stock anywhere.I don’t feel like waiting that long to get a part.

So, with a bit of disappointment, I asked to return the guitar. If I bought it as a project guitar its one thing, but it was marked in Mint condition with nothing wrong with it and I just don’t want the headache. Im probably going to look into an AZ Prestige next.

Last edited:
shit happens...what are the chances they didn't test the thing while it was getting packaged ?

(and all the sellers go : nooooooooo! it was a mishaaaap ! if only he had a multimeter ! don't leave negative feedbaaaaack !)

Its was sold Used in Mint condition from a dealer. And if I really wanted to nitpick, there are tooling marks on the back of the neck, the nut is slightly off the edge of the fingerboard. Those are little things I can live with as they have next to no impact on the guitar itself.

Fwiw, I brought it to DuBaldo Music this morning and had Pete take a look at it. Its my local shop. I bring all my guitars there for tech work that I can’t do myself. Anyhow, he says the bridge pickup is dead. One of the coils is not working at all and one isn’t getting much signal. He did have a multimeter btw.

He then says Dimarzio is backordered 12-16 weeks :(. The matching color I’d need (black/ white F spaced) isn’t in stock anywhere.I don’t feel like waiting that long to get a part.

So, with a bit of disappointment, I asked to return the guitar. If I bought it as a project guitar its one thing, but it was marked in Mint condition with nothing wrong with it and I just don’t want the headache. Im probably going to look into an AZ Prestige next.
Does your tech know what Reverb is ?

https://reverb.com/item/43037424-dimarzio-dp155-the-tone-zone-guitar-pickup-black-white-f-spacing

Pickups themselves are hardly ever completely shorted out or bad but it is possible. Usually its the wiring on the switch or jack. If you like the guitar then it shouldn't be much trouble getting another pickup. Did he completely unsolder the pickup from the switch and test the pickup by itself, I would imagine he did? I get it though... the seller should have checked out the guitar 100% before shipping so I see both sides.

Sorry you have to return the guitar especially if you liked it.

It's probably the blade switch. Spray it with contact cleaner and move it back and forth a lot. I can't see how a pickup goes bad

...so whats happening on a return front ? did they take it back? you swapping it for AZ prestige ?

He swapped it for a high end multimeter.
33339107-41F9-49E8-B8C2-7B47A2037947.jpeg

Pickups themselves are hardly ever completely shorted out or bad but it is possible. Usually its the wiring on the switch or jack. If you like the guitar then it shouldn't be much trouble getting another pickup. Did he completely unsolder the pickup from the switch and test the pickup by itself, I would imagine he did? I get it though... the seller should have checked out the guitar 100% before shipping so I see both sides.

Sorry you have to return the guitar especially if you liked it.
He unsoldered and tested the pickup. One coil was dead and the other coil was barely registering. He went on to say that the issue could also be the 5-way switch ibanez uses. That while the pickup is dead, there could also be an issue with the switch. He tells me that the switches used in the AZ are proprietary and if the issue was also with the switch, he couldn't source the part for replacement. With that all said, I returned the guitar.

Probably looking at a Prestige, MJ Charvel, or E-II ESP. I haven't made up my mind yet.

Back