Mark IV vs JP2C

ClintN667

I think I've asked this before but now that I have my Chubtone paid for and I should have my Duvell paid for in the next 2 weeks, I need to replace my Mark IV. I have a buddy who has a JP2C for sale that I'm supposed to try this weekend but I was curious as to how these two compare? Are they completely different beast or is the difference to where I wouldn't be terribly missing a IV if I went with a JP2C? There is also a blue stripe Mark III locally that may still be up for grabs when I get ready to pull the trigger. Also my last was a rev B should I look for a rev A if I go back with a IV?

After I pay for the Duvell I'm going to order a V and then work on replacing my IV and Skeleton Key. I was hoping to keep both amps but life and obligations got in the way.

I have not played the JP2c but I have lusted over it for a long time. The IV was probably my favorite or 2nd favorite mesa that I've owned. Everything is just pure win with it imo. I was using mine with a halfback with 12l's and mc90's. It just killed.

When you say "replace" do you mean you currently have a Mark IV and want to get something different?
Or do you mean you no longer have a Mark IV and would like to get a replacement or something similar?

I had a JP2C and I like my Mark IV way better and even my Mark 5 35 better too. Both of those amps stack up well against my JJ100 and EVH 5150 III, where as I always felt the JP2C couldn't run with the JJ100 especially. I know lots of folks love them, but it wasn't for me.

I had a JP2C and a Mark V at the same time for a while... the Mark V is long gone. Never owned a IV. The JP is definitely a Mark, but it has it's own thing going on that I far preferred to the V.

I've also played it alongside a JJ, BE, and SS and they are just completely different amps, the Friedmans are in the Marshall vain and the Marks are clearly not.

Probably mine too altho Def enjoying the IVB A LOT! Def bit more modern than the III.
I definitely regret selling my iv and 2c+ . My mk 3 has ++ mod by MB so maybe that’s why it sounds best . But mk4 was my main amp for a few years . Like 2008 to 2011

John Petrucci's tone has become a lot more mid-heavy since he's started using his JP2C's. It used to be gigantic and what they call "open" and wide but now it's not. The JP2C has an extremely mid-focused EQ structure, even with the graphic EQ configured in the classic V shape. It's not a bad tone, it's just very different from what it used to be, and different from other Mark amps. It's like that on the latest records, and it was like that when I saw JP live with his JP2C rig. Personally I think it's too focused. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

And I think that's because of the JP2C. All the JP2C's I've played sound like that, and all the JP2C comparison clips with other Mark amps tend to show the same thing.

I personally prefer earlier Mark amps. They tend to sound bigger, wider, more open.

Last edited:
When you say "replace" do you mean you currently have a Mark IV and want to get something different?
Or do you mean you no longer have a Mark IV and would like to get a replacement or something similar?
I sold mine so that I could pay for my custom explorer. I lost track of time on my build and had to come up with the balance a bit of a hurry. It's only been gone a little over a week and I'm missing it. After reading these comments I ordered another one. My wife actually encouraged me to replace it with a IV. She said "you loved that amp and you would just keep pining over it if you got something else until you got it back like you did with me". She has a point. :)

I sold mine so that I could pay for my custom explorer. I lost track of time on my build and had to come up with the balance a bit of a hurry. It's only been gone a little over a week and I'm missing it. After reading these comments I ordered another one. My wife actually encouraged me to replace it with a IV. She said "you loved that amp and you would just keep pining over it if you got something else until you got it back like you did with me". She has a point. :)

Good move! I have a Mark IV rev B and love it. I think it's my favorite Mark, actually. To me it sits in the best place between classic Mark and modern high gain of all the Mark series.

John Petrucci's tone has become a lot more mid-heavy since he's started using his JP2C's. It used to be gigantic and what they call "open" and wide but now it's not. The JP2C has an extremely mid-focused EQ structure, even with the graphic EQ configured in the classic V shape. It's not a bad tone, it's just very different from what it used to be, and different from other Mark amps. It's like that on the latest records, and it was like that when I saw JP live with his JP2C rig. Personally I think it's too focused. The pendulum has swung too far in the other direction.

And I think that's because of the JP2C. All the JP2C's I've played sound like that, and all the JP2C comparison clips with other Mark amps tend to show the same thing.

I personally prefer earlier Mark amps. They tend to sound bigger, wider, more open.
This^^^
The JP2C is more compressed, refined, modern, and boxy sounding compared to any IV, III, or IIC+, the difference being more obvious in that order. It doesn’t have that untamed sound or feel to it. Sonically I don’t believe any modern amp will compare with the vintage amp that it’s based on.

This^^^
The JP2C is more compressed, refined, modern, and boxy sounding compared to any IV, III, or IIC+, the difference being more obvious in that order. It doesn’t have that untamed sound or feel to it. Sonically I don’t believe any modern amp will compare with the vintage amp that it’s based on.
Boxy is how I would describe my impressions with what I've heard with demos. Even with the Kemper or Quad Cortex profiles I've tried just didn't do it for me but I never try to base my opinions on profiles.

I was in the same camp as the OP about 5 years ago. I played on the JP and thought it was good. But not for over twice the price of what a Mark IV was going for at that time. I bought a used Mark IVa (small head) on Reverb in like brand new condition. I thought if I didn't like it I would flip it on CL. I will NEVER part with my Mark IV. I even sent it to Mesa 2 years ago and had MB do a cap job and whatever to bring it up to factory spec. The amp just crushes. Run it through a Marshall 4x12 with G12-65s.

Glad you found another. You weren't getting this one back for a LONG time 😁.

I was in the same camp as the OP about 5 years ago. I played on the JP and thought it was good. But not for over twice the price of what a Mark IV was going for at that time. I bought a used Mark IVa (small head) on Reverb in like brand new condition. I thought if I didn't like it I would flip it on CL. I will NEVER part with my Mark IV. I even sent it to Mesa 2 years ago and had MB do a cap job and whatever to bring it up to factory spec. The amp just crushes. Run it through a Marshall 4x12 with G12-65s.
I had Mike B service my last one as soon as I got it. Hopefully this one will show up by Friday then I can give it a once over to see if I need to send it in. If it hasn't been serviced I'm sending it in.

Back