Dark Gene

https://www.dkowalskiamplifiers.com/product-page/dark-gene-micro-amplifier
I don't have one, but they have been on my radar and I've researched them pretty heavily a while back. Everything I have come across has been positive. There's 2 versions; Red & Green. The Red is your more modern high gain. The Green is geared more towards plexi & JCM type tones. They're handmade in Texas and quality seems to be top tier too. Haven't checked in a while, but I think the going price is still around $350.

If you're looking for something super low watt for bedroom jamming I don't think you could do much better than a Dark Gene at that price. So the question becomes do you want plexi/JCM (Green) or modern (Red).

Yeah, I checked out all the clips and its hard to really gauge how dramatic the difference is between red and green, but they both seem to sound really good.

Reactions: ccn
It sounds like it has almost nonexistent bass.

that might be the only knock against it due to the output tube. Sounds like to really get that superlead feel and sound, the green would need a resonant control for some thump. It also sounds mushy past 2 pm where Pete had it but it does do that old Marshall thing really well. Could be a cool recording tool where you actually want to mic your cab vs using impulses.

that might be the only knock against it due to the output tube. Sounds like to really get that superlead feel and sound, the green would need a resonant control for some thump. It also sounds mushy past 2 pm where Pete had it but it does do that old Marshall thing really well. Could be a cool recording tool where you actually want to mic your cab vs using impulses.
Yeah, not sure you could get/expect any low end from a 1/2 watt amp.

It sounds good to me?
You record this in a track and put an actual BASS guitar with it…….done. Bass players are dumb, but do serve a purpose. 😎😎😎😎

Yeah, not sure you could get/expect any low end from a 1/2 watt amp.

It sounds good to me?
You record this in a track and put an actual BASS guitar with it…….done. Bass players are dumb, but do serve a purpose. 😎😎😎😎
Yeah that's the other thing, half the time in a mix you tend to cut or tighten the low end anyway so it isn't likely going to be missed. You aren't going to gig this, just jam with it or record it wide open. As such, it is a small amp making big sounds sort of thing. Lots of stories of giants using these small amps cranked to get huge tone like Schenker and his pignose or Demartini and that small Fender. I just want to hear this thing VH with a GE-10 or MXR 6 band.

I'm considering one. But I already have the Randall MTS stuff and that gives me great tones at lower level but I like the idea of this thing cranked and using my mics again. I like IR's but it doesn't feel personalized.

I saw an ad this morning for the Laney LA-Studio - looks rad af. 3 watt Supergroup with built in Two Notes shiz. Supposedly UK made

that little thing sounds like shit though if you watch the demos. Just ratty splatty gain and doesn't come close to doing the old school crunch. It's a big fuzz box.

Last edited:
Back