Which model would you prefer?

• WD Forte’

Votes: 10 24.4%
  • Psykes

Votes: 28 68.3%
  • 7d8

Votes: 12 29.3%

• Total voters
I would definitely try to base them as close to Shaws as you can. If you need a test subject just let me know
The problem is custom fabrication without high quantities. It’ll be cost prohibitive to get them mechanically identical. Then figure in the fact that hound wound formulas for winding vary greatly from machine wound. You would need to know the TPL and wind pattern of the originals. You’re better off implementing techniques to the hand wound recipe to approximate the tones, note not calling a straight DF clone. At what I charge now, I’m practically making 3rd world country hourly wages, LoL

Last edited:
Having never heard them, what's the appeal on the Sykes model/dirty fingers? The Forte sounds awesome
For me, it less about trying to duplicate the Dirty Fingers part for part, and more about getting the a Whitesnake tones. Just like the RTM didn’t exist during Ratt’s heyday. The Whitesnake tones on those early albums defiantly had that saturated ceramic tones, but like in the intro to Still of the Night, it had a crisp top end the low nots were both saturated be clear.

Last edited:
For me, it less about trying to duplicate the Dirty Fingers part for part, and more about getting the a Whitesnake tones. Just like the RTM didn’t exist during Ratt’s heyday. The Whitesnake tones on those early albums defiantly had that saturated ceramic tones, but like in the intro to Still of the Night, it had a crisp top end the low nots were both saturated be clear.

You're making me think I need to add 2 more builds to what I planned on...

Having never heard them, what's the appeal on the Sykes model/dirty fingers? The Forte sounds awesome
I just scored two of them and they’re awesome. They’re hot and raw, and have a very sinister low mid grunt/growl to them. They’re on the dark side with a lot of low end, but still have that aggressive ceramic bite. Compared to newer production pups, they’ve got a much more organic sound and feel to them. They’re unpotted, so they will squeal ,but that’s nothing a noisegate or gain management can’t handle. They actually make newer pups sound somewhat plastic and tame in comparison.

If you could pull off a better dirty fingers that would be way cool. Love them but definitely have some drawbacks as well. Gotta have the two rows of pole pieces though.

7d8 for me ( I emailed you about picking one up last week) but psykes could be very interesting. RTM I wouldn't bother with. I already have a JB with a swapped A2 and it is perfect. Why reinvent the wheel on that one as RTM has essentially just done that and marked up the price.

Dirty Finger'ish would be a cool build as would a classic raw but beefier PAF - Call it the TAF (FAT backwards) Grindy and thicker but still great note seperation. A lot of PAFs can be thinner sounding. ( My frame of reference are the duncan 59, dimarzio air classic, and 36 anni)

The 36 anniversary in the neck is hard to beat though. That thing is magic.

I just scored two of them and they’re awesome. They’re hot and raw, and have a very sinister low mid grunt/growl to them. They’re on the dark side with a lot of low end, but still have that aggressive ceramic bite. Compared to newer production pups, they’ve got a much more organic sound and feel to them. They’re unpotted, so they will squeal ,but that’s nothing a noisegate or gain management can’t handle. They actually make newer pups sound somewhat plastic and tame in comparison.
They do have some special sauce so to speak. Low mid grunt, clarity and the feel is off the charts imo.
These are Shaw era DFs….haven’t played the T top or post 89 non Shaw versions

They do have some special sauce so to speak. Low mid grunt, clarity and the feel is off the charts imo.
These are Shaw era DFs….haven’t played the T top or post 89 non Shaw versions
Lots of these older pickups I’ve gotten this past year have special sauce in that way (DF’s are far from being the only one), but I view it the other way: they just sound the way good pickups should (rather than calling it special sauce) and the recent pickups just suck lol. They really do for me these days. Hard for me to look back now on all that time spent using them and thinking they sounded good or great at some points

Lots of these older pickups I’ve gotten this past year have special sauce in that way (DF’s are far from being the only one), but I view it the other way: they just sound the way good pickups should (rather than calling it special sauce) and the recent pickups just suck lol. They really do for me these days. Hard for me to look back now on all that time spent using them and thinking they sounded good or great at some points
I’ve reached out to some magnet suppliers trying to get some thick magnets like used in the DF, SD, DD, and Mighty Mites. The DF is the most unique with its 3 magnet design. It’s almost like 2 mini P90s the way they used the opposing pole magnets. This really focuses the magnetnetic field.

I’ve reached out to some magnet suppliers trying to get some thick magnets like used in the DF, SD, DD, and Mighty Mites. The DF is the most unique with its 3 magnet design. It’s almost like 2 mini P90s the way they used the opposing pole magnets. This really focuses the magnetnetic field.
I noticed my old Gretsch pickups also have very thick magnets. I think this one ‘70’s Prototyps Bill Lawrence 500XL I’ve got also has 3 magnets. Maybe it’s one of the few without epoxy

So, Ive been working on the Psykes. Definitely a sinister pickup. Out of complete transparency, I don’t even have a DF to compare. I started with the 3 magnet design which make the coils like 2 P90s. Based on the documentation I wound this to about 16.5k with 2 screw coils and a wind pattern that’s thicker toward the top of the bobbin and angles thinner toward the bobbin. This gives the pickup more grunt. The opposing poles of the P90 like configuration gives it some mid snarl. The low end it tight and percussive and harmonics are easy. I need to get this over to @LPMojoGL to do it some just and get some better clips and put it through some different amps.

Are already was a bad player. I’ve been so busy winding, I’ve played less than 30 minutes in the past 3 months.

So, Ive been working on the Psykes. Definitely a sinister pickup. Out of complete transparency, I don’t even have a DF to compare. I started with the 3 magnet design which make the coils like 2 P90s. Based on the documentation I wound this to about 16.5k with 2 screw coils and a wind pattern that’s thicker toward the top of the bobbin and angles thinner toward the bobbin. This gives the pickup more grunt. The opposing poles of the P90 like configuration gives it some mid snarl. The low end it tight and percussive and harmonics are easy. I need to get this over to @LPMojoGL to do it some just and get some better clips and put it through some different amps.

Are already was a bad player. I’ve been so busy winding, I’ve played less than 30 minutes in the past 3 months.

Sounds mean on my phone.
Can't wait to hear it in person.
Which guitar was that?

Has a great big bloom at the tail end of the note and snarl up front. Sounds great. If I ever get a black Tokai or Greco, I'd throw that in there. Of course your amp doesn't hurt either lol. When are those going into production?

Has a great big bloom at the tail end of the note and snarl up front. Sounds great. If I ever get a black Tokai or Greco, I'd throw that in there. Of course your amp doesn't hurt either lol. When are those going into production?
Who knows, LoL? I’ve been prototyping for the past few weeks. I’ve got to get some other ears and other fingers to hear/feel them. For these, I am sourcing magnets from the UK and each pickup takes 3 magnets. I just placed a bulk order for 10 sets. So may 3-4 weeks maybe?

Back