Dr.Dan 1959LV Plexi

I am not at all surprised you are running a Mighty Mite 1300 I hear it all over VH1 myself...you must have watched the Ossie Ahsen pickup shootout from last year.........it just has the right crunch and that fuzzy distortion that rides on the notes. Your VHII SGMAD even sounded good with the mighty mite, I kinda think Ed went to a hotter wound PAF on VHII how hot is up for discussion but Jim Gaustad has some theories....Have you checked out Gaustad's VH tone chase videos?

I still love my Duncan 78 model for almost all Ed stuff but it does VHII the best and my mighty mite 1400(9K) does VH1 better than the 78 model IMHO and your clips as well as Ossie Ahsen's just keep confirming that for me!:yes:

I think it's great you are getting these tones without the API 550, Pultec EQ andthe Sunset Sound plugins. Are you doing alot of post EQ on these clips? Like the Don Landee 10K at 2DB kind of studio fluff.

What is the Suhr 1.1 patch? A pre-rola greendback?

I almost forgot...what preamp and power tube is your 68 Tramble running? EL34's or 6CA7's?

Anyway... greats clips I enjoyed listening to them! Thanks for the information on your setup!:2thumbsup: Those Suhr IR's are really impressive sounding!
The Mighty Mite was Ted's suggestion as my goal and favorite early VH sound is VH1.
I did see Jim's and Ossie stuff,lots of cool opinions !
I am not doing any EQ'ing . The EQ on my Mixwiz is bypassed. No EQ in GarageBand either.
The RLIR 1.1 is a Suhr G12M Greenback 4x12 C SM57 Balanced Celestion
I can't remember the preamp tubes but the power are EL34 II.
Thanks for your interest.
Nice work! 🤟

What’s the EL34 II? In all my years of tube rolling, I’ve never heard of that one before.
JJ maybe? If so, go the extra mile and get yourself some better anos Siemens or Winged C power. Your rig sounds great now; it’ll sound even better with either of the two I mentioned. Imo anyway.

6CA7's are also great for that tone and unless I am mistaken, isn't that what Ed was using in his Marshalls? I personally dig them. EH 34 as well. Crispy.

Nice work! 🤟

What’s the EL34 II? In all my years of tube rolling, I’ve never heard of that one before.
JJ maybe? If so, go the extra mile and get yourself some better anos Siemens or Winged C power. Your rig sounds great now; it’ll sound even better with either of the two I mentioned. Imo anyway.
Thanks ! Yes, they are JJ. I'll keep an eye out for the ones you mentioned.

As I stated before that fact that you haven't needed to post EQ the hell of of those clips shows me the amp has the core tone! Very Nice!:2thumbsup:

Imagine if you applied the API550, Pultec EQ and hte Sunset sound verbs to you clip in POST... ALA the studio magic from Don Landee and Ted Templeman.

The EH are beam forming Tetrodes exactly like the original Sylvania 6CA7 and according to EH they handle 800 DCV of plate voltage. I'm running them in my Musicman HD130 which has 720 DCV on the plates.

I also have an Ed spec 68 but I built a 69 to Ed specs but with 69 filtering because I wanted something to use without having to variac the amp down and then reamp/slave it.

I have compared the EH 6ca7 to my Sylvania 6ca7's and they are very close in tone and response. Here is two ZOOM in the room clips of my 69 NOS SL build but with 68 specs except the filtering which was was the higher 69 values of 50uf mains/screens/preamp except the PI which was 100uf. The amp is running about 485 DCV on the plate at wall voltage these clips are not variaced at all, These clip are a Duncan 78 into a Clinch EP-PRE set to the later dark EP3 setting and a Boss GE7 EQ totally dry through a single 1960B cab with Celestion Heritage 12H-30 55 HZ speakers. The amp is running a Lar/Mar PPIMV turned half way up in one clip with the THD at -8DB and the other is with the THD bypassed using the PPIMV at low volume settings. The PPIMV is using a PEC 250K dual pot for some reason the PEC pot has less artifacts than the alphas a low volume settings for whatever reason. The amp is running EH 6ca7's which clank a little more 6L6 like clank and have that high end detail to them without the extended mids of the EL34.

Last edited:
As I stated before that fact that you haven't needed to post EQ the hell of of those clips shows me the amp has the core tone! Very Nice!:2thumbsup:

Imagine if you applied the API550, Pultec EQ and hte Sunset sound verbs to you clip in POST... ALA the studio magic from Don Landee and Ted Templeman.

The EH are beam forming Tetrodes exactly like the original Sylvania 6CA7 and according to EH they handle 800 DCV of plate voltage. I'm running them in my Musicman HD130 which has 720 DCV on the plates.

I also have an Ed spec 68 but I built a 69 to Ed specs but with 69 filtering because I wanted something to use without having to variac the amp down and then reamp/slave it.

I have compared the EH 6ca7 to my Sylvania 6ca7's and they are very close in tone and response. Here is two ZOOM in the room clips of my 69 NOS SL build but with 68 specs except the filtering which was was the higher 69 values of 50uf mains/screens/preamp except the PI which was 100uf. The amp is running about 485 DCV on the plate at wall voltage these clips are not variaced at all, These clip are a Duncan 78 into a Clinch EP-PRE set to the later dark EP3 setting and a Boss GE7 EQ totally dry through a single 1960B cab with Celestion Heritage 12H-30 55 HZ speakers. The amp is running a Lar/Mar PPIMV turned half way up in one clip with the THD at -8DB and the other is with the THD bypassed using the PPIMV at low volume settings. The PPIMV is using a PEC 250K dual pot for some reason the PEC pot has less artifacts than the alphas a low volume settings for whatever reason. The amp is running EH 6ca7's which clank a little more 6L6 like clank and have that high end detail to them without the extended mids of the EL34.

Sounds great ! I did forget to mention that the amp has. Richmod PPIMV that is about on 4 or 40% of the way up. Obviously using the RLIR, you don't get the high volume in the room stuff and the interaction between the speakers and guitar(pickups). I am as close as I need to be to my goal to be happy . I may tweak a little here and there but I am not obsessively going down that rabbit hole...😂

Crazy how much difference that or any EQ pedal makes. I find that too with my 2204's and Bugera 1960. That EQ is sort of the "sauce". More so than the echoplex preamp.

The Mighty Mite was Ted's suggestion as my goal and favorite early VH sound is VH1.
I did see Jim's and Ossie stuff,lots of cool opinions !
I am not doing any EQ'ing . The EQ on my Mixwiz is bypassed. No EQ in GarageBand either.
The RLIR 1.1 is a Suhr G12M Greenback 4x12 C SM57 Balanced Celestion
I can't remember the preamp tubes but the power are EL34 II.
Thanks for your interest.

I for sure hear ceramic on VH1 and softer A2 on VHII as well.. SH-5 seems to do that thing as well in the demos I have heard and through my own stuff.

This is a total nerdfest post but I love it! Right down to custom wound pickups no less. I had never heard of this builder but we really should put together a list of builders across Canada because the exchange rate and border/customs taxes are working against us.

That's a fantastic sounding amp though admittedly, most plexi circuits ( even cheap ones) get close enough to that sound to scratch my itch.
I think this is a great idea. Wizard, Morris, Dr. Dan...and many more

In front is as follows:Original MXR Flanger modded for true Bypass and DC powering--Analogman modded Custom Shop MXR Phase 90 modded for mix level,LED and power jack---Clinch EP+---Mxr Echoplex Delay
How do you like that Analogman? I like the idea of an adjustable volume and mix, I read the volume adjust is internal. I have a vintage MXR phase 90 but at times is too prominent at times so the idea of the mix level is interesting to me

How do you like that Analogman? I like the idea of an adjustable volume and mix, I read the volume adjust is internal. I have a vintage MXR phase 90 but at times is too prominent at times so the idea of the mix level is interesting to me
It gets me closer than my striped version for sure. Like you said, stock is too much. I don know why his was so suttle back then.

It gets me closer than my striped version for sure. Like you said, stock is too much. I don know why his was so suttle back then.
Subtle is exactly the way I hear it too. I think there were rumors that Jose modified the Phase 90 to make it more of a volume boost for solo's but deductive reasoning says it was really one of those anomalous magic happy accidents that made up Ed's tone from 1977-78.

Thanks for the info about the Analogman Phase 90 I had no idea he was making these, I think it's a cool idea!:yes:

You might find this one interesting. He's my Ed spec 1968 Metro plexi built with NOS parts with Metro spec power and output C1998 transformers ran into a 400 watt resistive load, line signal tapped by a Suhr Iso line out then reamped by a stock 1972 Marshall SL. Detune is from a Boss PS-5 pedal. This is supposedly what Ed was doing on the 1978 tour described by Robin L on Metro who had some interesting in depth information.

Last edited:
You might find this one interesting. He's my Ed spec 1968 Metro plexi built with NOS parts with Metro spec power and output C1998 transformers ran into a 400 watt resistive load, line signal tapped by a Suhr Iso line out then reamped by a stock 1972 Marshall SL. Detune is from a Boss PS-5 pedal. This is supposedly what Ed was doing on the 1978 tour described by Robin L on Metro who had some interesting in depth information.

Interesting. Do you have a link to that Metro info ? Would like to read that. So you're running from the Suhr line out thru the ps5 then into the input of the other Marshall ?

Back