What an abomination , trying to wire a volume & tone knob single humbucker guitar.

ccn

Banned
I'll just post some horrific images , try not too look too close you might freak out . You can see the schematic I'm attempting to copy .

Besides the atrocious soldering attempt where am I going wrong ?

Thank you for any advice.

Attachments

• P1040875[1].JPG
    P1040875[1].JPG
    974.5 KB · Views: 63
  • P1040879[1].JPG
    P1040879[1].JPG
    978.5 KB · Views: 53
  • P1040885[1].JPG
    P1040885[1].JPG
    961 KB · Views: 44
  • P1040886[1].JPG
    P1040886[1].JPG
    978 KB · Views: 44
  • P1040889[1].JPG
    P1040889[1].JPG
    978 KB · Views: 51
  • Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    129.2 KB · Views: 52
I am no pro, but just from the picture that I re-attached, it looks like either a strand of the braided shielding is touching the lug (as Mnemonic mentioned), or that whole lug is damaged from the heat.

The location where that particular lug attaches to the board, is bubbled up and melted, so it might have absorbed too much heat during the soldering process.

Attachments

• Pot wiring (2).jpg
    Pot wiring (2).jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 28
Reactions: ccn
Looks like it's also missing the bridge/tailpiece ground wire, but understandable since the components are out of the guitar. What does the output jack look like? Tip going to wiper/middle lug of the volume pot?

I made sure the pickup cable isn't touching the lug but still no sound at all unfortunately . The below shows a little different wiring from the first schematic , maybe I should try the below . I don't know why they are so different .

Attachments

• image_2022-09-26_172809845.png
    image_2022-09-26_172809845.png
    162.9 KB · Views: 25
OK , I followed the latter schematic and I'm getting sound now but my amp when I try to adjust the volume I'm getting some ear piercing intermittent sound so maybe I didn't ground something correctly .

Attachments

• P1040905[1].JPG
    P1040905[1].JPG
    962 KB · Views: 24
  • P1040907[1].JPG
    P1040907[1].JPG
    958 KB · Views: 26
  • P1040908[1].JPG
    P1040908[1].JPG
    958 KB · Views: 27
OK , I followed the latter schematic and I'm getting sound now but my amp when I try to adjust the volume I'm getting some ear piercing intermittent sound so maybe I didn't ground something correctly .
You need a ground to the trem claw

You need a ground to the trem claw
Is there any diagrams showing this ? I'm looking it up so I'll figure out how to do it .

Thank you very much, I missed this part and it's probably while I'm getting a loud hum .

You have a ground from the casings of your pots, so solder a wire from your trem claw to one of your pots - is there not already a wire soldered to it?

Thanks for all the advice to the people that offered it . I completed the ground to the claw and pot .

I'm convinced somethings up with my amp as I'm getting quite a bit of hum and when I switch to the lead channel the volume even when set to zero I get super loud intermittent screeching when I tough the volume control .
Have no idea what's up but I'll eventually figure it out .

I'm in a shop with lots of fluorescent light fixtures so maybe that has something to do with it.

Thanks again

UPDATE: Same deal with a different guitar . What I did was spray contact cleaner on the switches etc ... and to my astonishment the problem went away .

Now what I'm experiencing is a hum that persists when plugged in but that hum goes away when I place my hand on the jack . I'm not exactly sure what that means but I'm probably missing a ground again .

There's only two wires connected to the jack contact points and I do get sound but that hum is bothersome.

OK , figured it out . I had to just switch the two wires for the jack . The hum went away after that.

A heartfelt thank you to all who helped . Very very appreciative.

Back