NGD: 2005 Gibson Standard Faded

War_in_D

Got this one in a trade the other day. At first, I wasn't going to do it. But the more I played it, the more I like it and it's got a really unique top on it. Just about perfect weight for a Les Paul, coming in at 8.4 lbs. on my digital scale and super resonant. Burstbucker 1 & 2 pickups and the more I look at it the more I like that faded look. It just kind of spoke to me, I guess. Thinking I might call it the "Ghost Flame", because from certain angles it almost looks like a plain top and then from others.... Holy Cow! LOL

2005 Gibson Faded 1.jpg

2005 Gibson Faded 3.jpg

2005 Gibson Faded 2.jpg

2005 Gibson Faded 4.jpg

Looks good to me! Especially the angled shot from the bottom looking up the neck. Nice mineral streaks in there.

I have heard of Babicz but have never seen that bridge before. Looks a bit clunky but also comfortable on the picking hand. Not sure how I feel about that.

Looks good to me! Especially the angled shot from the bottom looking up the neck. Nice mineral streaks in there.

I have heard of Babicz but have never seen that bridge before. Looks a bit clunky but also comfortable on the picking hand. Not sure how I feel about that.

I had that Babicz laying around, but the jury is still out on whether it will stay on there or not. They do appear clunky, but aren't too bad. Especially from a weight perspective. They are pretty light. I have one another LP, and while they take a little bit to dial in they do sound pretty good. Your assessment of how they feel on the picking hand is spot on though, they are comfortable.

I'm fixing to off load my wine red Les Paul, soon as I do that the faded is going to be my next purchase if I can find a good deal.

Love my wine red but I just cannot play the slim taper necks anymore so will have to find a faded with the 50's neck.

I'm fixing to off load my wine red Les Paul, soon as I do that the faded is going to be my next purchase if I can find a good deal.

Love my wine red but I just cannot play the slim taper necks anymore so will have to find a faded with the 50's neck.

Yeah, this one is a 60's neck. I have a Traditional Pro with the 50's neck, and I really like it too. When you start getting into the 58 reissue territory (I think that's the one), where they have the baseball bat necks it's a little too much for me.

Yeah, this one is a 60's neck. I have a Traditional Pro with the 50's neck, and I really like it too. When you start getting into the 58 reissue territory (I think that's the one), where they have the baseball bat necks it's a little too much for me.
Yeah I don't want the baseball bat dealio. My main Les Paul's neck is kinda weird...leans towards a 50's but not as round. Still not sure if previous owner shaved it down and even my repair guy, who is one of Gibson's auth repair guys couldn't tell.

Love my Wine Red Paul in fact it was my first Les Paul but it's slim taper is super slim lol. Had a Gold Top years ago when those two were my main guitars and it's slim taper wasn't as slim as the Wine Red. I've kept it because it sounded good, looks good and was my first Paul but it gets no playing time other than wow this feels great, 20 mins later my hands are cramping up.

When I bought that Traditional Pro from GC used, I was under the impression that it had the 60's neck on it. I saw that it had the locking Grovers, etc.. and I just assumed. I had always been under the impression that the Traditional line with Grover locking tuners and coil splits, etc. were 60's neck and the Kluson tuner guitars were all 50's neck but apparently not. I noticed right away that the neck was thicker, and when I pulled the bridge pickup out it had the "5" at the end of the model number written in there. At the time, I wouldn't have bought it knowing that because I thought all the 50's necks were like baseball bat huge, but I'm glad I did. I ended up really liking that particular neck profile. Happy accident indeed, and opens up my horizons a little. LOL

Congrats! I had one of those years ago, excellent LP, very resonant, wish I kept it.

That weight is perfect, you'll be able to play it for hours with no fatigue.

It was a trade deal, but I figured the value of the guitar to be at around $2000-$2200. I'm not sure if that was too high for it, but I liked it so I did the trade.
Nope, seems to be right in the ballpark.

What finish is that ? It’s not cherry sunburst, is it a lemon burst or ?

Nope, seems to be right in the ballpark.

What finish is that ? It’s not cherry sunburst, is it a lemon burst or ?

Honestly, I'm not really sure what it is. I'm thinking it's a Tobacco Burst, or Iced Tea maybe... if they even did those back then?

**edit**

I was trying to find what colors this was offered in for 2005, and there's not a lot of info.. but it might be a Honey Burst.

Back