Does the circle of stupidity ruin this video for you?

This guy, is quite possibly the highest subscribed guitarist on YouTube. He created a riff. He then got some awesome players to solo over it. Some players were ok, but dudes like Bukovac, damn, he is so good.

Anyhow, for some unknown reason that only he can understand, he added a circle to the screen in each solo and makes facial expressions to the solo as if he is playing, and says things like, “ssssssick,” and, “dooooope!”

Perhaps it’s just me? But when I watch the solos I can’t come close to fully enjoy them because his damn face is making goofy facial expressions saying nonsensical things.

I have had friends in the past say, “you know every once in a great while, maybe once every 5 to 10 years, you see someone, it’s the first time you’ve ever seen them, and you think, my god, but I HATE ThAT GUY!!” This left me bewildered, but so as not to be different, I would say, “oh yeah!! Totally!! Those guys are the worst!”

I now fully comprehend their irrational feelings. As this dude has triggered irrational thoughts within me.

Does the circle bother you? Does it take away from your enjoyment of the solo? Or am I just fully nuts at this point?

I find most of these players interesting (I know a couple). Circle reaction face is irritating, but reaction videos get hits. Young people struggle with interpersonal connections so emotions shared like this are appealing to them for the same reasons they are somewhat uncomfortable for us who of a certain age actually learned to create connections IN PERSON.

Mark's chordal soloing is harmonic genius, similar in function (though not in execution) to what Wes did ages ago. Melodic tension while maintaining harmony is a cool thing. So I totally agree with what you say, but also can find some enjoyment with seeing good players "explore the space".

I get the adverse reaction to the pretension, although the players I know of this group are really down-to-earth; so I don't think that is the intention.

If you are adventurous, try Bell's Two Hearted with some medium rare steak or a really good burger. I think some of you may be surprised.

I find most of these players interesting (I know a couple). Circle reaction face is irritating, but reaction videos get hits. Young people struggle with interpersonal connections so emotions shared like this are appealing to them for the same reasons they are somewhat uncomfortable for us who of a certain age actually learned to create connections IN PERSON.

Mark's chordal soloing is harmonic genius, similar in function (though not in execution) to what Wes did ages ago. Melodic tension while maintaining harmony is a cool thing. So I totally agree with what you say, but also can find some enjoyment with seeing good players "explore the space".

I get the adverse reaction to the pretension, although the players I know of this group are really down-to-earth; so I don't think that is the intention.

If you are adventurous, try Bell's Two Hearted with some medium rare steak or a really good burger. I think some of you may be surprised.
Lettieri is a great player. I’ve seen clips of him live that are mind blowing!! Just totally on point playing flawlessly!

Last edited:
Would you not enter and eat in a restaurant just because it smells like shit?

A better comparison to me would be someone liking bbq but won’t go into the highly regarded bbq spot they would most likely enjoy because they think “Porkys” is a dumb name and the pig they have on the sign as a mascot somehow annoys them. I really can’t believe someone wouldn’t watch a video with a topic they are interested in because of a facial expression in a thumbnail

This guy, is quite possibly the highest subscribed guitarist on YouTube. He created a riff. He then got some awesome players to solo over it. Some players were ok, but dudes like Bukovac, damn, he is so good.

Anyhow, for some unknown reason that only he can understand, he added a circle to the screen in each solo and makes facial expressions to the solo as if he is playing, and says things like, “ssssssick,” and, “dooooope!”

Perhaps it’s just me? But when I watch the solos I can’t come close to fully enjoy them because his damn face is making goofy facial expressions saying nonsensical things.

I have had friends in the past say, “you know every once in a great while, maybe once every 5 to 10 years, you see someone, it’s the first time you’ve ever seen them, and you think, my god, but I HATE ThAT GUY!!” This left me bewildered, but so as not to be different, I would say, “oh yeah!! Totally!! Those guys are the worst!”

I now fully comprehend their irrational feelings. As this dude has triggered irrational thoughts within me.

Does the circle bother you? Does it take away from your enjoyment of the solo? Or am I just fully nuts at this point?

Dude, dude, dude,
Send me that dial tone chord progression.
Guess what?
-I‘ve got just the solution for you my dude.
I’m going to record myself recording myself
-so I can play lead guitar to that guys FACE.
Meaning at first I’ll gander around the shape of his head, kinda brush through his feathered bangs…
BAM! Here’s comes a meaty’ ass E major chord,
BOOM!, his eyes open ‘fluorescenty possessed’, -next will be the FsharpSuS Chord
The Morello/Lifeson super chord,
-that instantly thrusts fangs from this
pretty boy Floyd’s million dollar teeth., etc…
THAT’ll sort that F’ker’s facial expressions my dude.

A better comparison to me would be someone liking bbq but won’t go into the highly regarded bbq spot they would most likely enjoy because they think “Porkys” is a dumb name and the pig they have on the sign as a mascot somehow annoys them. I really can’t believe someone wouldn’t watch a video with a topic they are interested in because of a facial expression in a thumbnail
Glenn Fricker does a lot of videos with topics I’m interested in.
Every thumbnail is the open mouth tard look and the yelling and voice he uses are unwatchable. The facial expressions and the haircut and the clothes are just an extension of this.
Haters gonna hate……..

Glenn Fricker does a lot of videos with topics I’m interested in.
Every thumbnail is the open mouth tard look and the yelling and voice he uses are unwatchable. The facial expressions and the haircut and the clothes are just an extension of this.
Haters gonna hate……..
Don't forget that if it's not a 5150 and SM57 he doesn't know what the fuck to with it.

But why is the circle there? Is it to make sure that the players know he is deeply moved by their playing? Is it his version, of the single strangest thing ever, the reaction video?

I also would like to know how he defines a “pro,” guitarist. He includes himself with some seriously heavy hitters. Who is the dude with his “59 strat,” with a ton of reverb. Never seen him. I would like to be gifted his 59 strat so I could sell it and buy a ton of bitchin super strats and Les Paul’s and a couple steckels. I will be happy with a 59 strat from fender custom with a 9.5 radius.

I agree. It's his version of a reaction video.

Or maybe he's rubbing one out off camera

I think the distain is mostly to do with the way they present themselves and their content. Those like Rhett and this dude in the OP video have this smugness about them, like they're better than you and if you don't use the same gear you're worthless as a musician.

There are other's; several being RT members, on youtube that get praise from people on this forum for great content even if it's not the preferred music of choice. For example, not everyone likes e standard thrash metal that Kyle Bull plays, but no one here gives him crap. That's because he comes off as a genuine down to earth guy making videos because he enjoys it and not as an arrogant prick trying to shill gear.
I’ve seen Kyle Bull vids and he just seems fired up to be playing kick ass amps.

I'm fully expecting one of these days to click on a thumbnail with that look and be greeted with a video of a dude on the toilet with his guitar. :LOL:

Wait until I start my page, I’m just gonna make the thumbnail a beer shits splattered toilet with gear I’m reviewing poorly photoshopped in floating amongs the sludge

I don’t let a lot of shit get to me in life because it’s just not worth the energy, but the whole open-mouth/I’m so blown away look that pervades so many YouTube videos and especially thumbnails makes me want to fling fecal matter at YouTubers.

The reaction videos really spurred a lot of that off, it just looks like a bunch of assholes getting ready to blow someone.
Normally, I don’t let anything bother me either. I’ve always had the mind set of, “nothing brings me down!” But I saw this, and quickly became appalled at the circle. I literally could not believe it. That’s why I said in my first post that it’s totally irrational, but, that’s how I felt. And then when I noticed his subscriber count, the shock and horror hit me full on. This dude makes a shit load of cash making these videos, whoa!! Plus I’m sure he has a course like every other YouTube guitar dude.

And the clickbait thumbnails these dudes have. Good god. I saw one yesterday and it was so contrived and cliche. It was Rhett Shull and it said, “I was ready to quit guitar!” The click bait these dudes have now is so dramatic. Many look like advertisements for Tella Novellas. .

A facial expression in a thumbnail really annoys you that much to not watch a video??
I was about to write that this whole topic is pretty dumb, but then I remembered Steve Terreberry. Somehow I started to understand the words about facial expressions.

I watch 1 or 2 Youtube guitar "personalities" vids per week. I can't take anymore than that. Just watching one will feed Youtube's algorithm AI with related links galore. Something I absolutely don't need to watch to know what a colossal waste of time it'd be is Fluff's "rants about Reverb prices" series. WTF? Reaction videos about some bozo mouthing off about other bozos unrealistically priced gear? When did the guitar community turn into the Kardashians ( in other words, no substance, all fluff?).

Attachments

• Document1.jpg
    Document1.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 31
Back