CURE for Gear acquisition syndrome?

I made a list of the type of amps and their linage thst came afterward. Like marks , Marshall, 5150 and what not . Then I just picked what I thought was best for me in each lineage . If something is close to what I have and not drastically something new or better to me I’m not in need . It’s helped me mentally lol

If you want to
pan homegrown.jpg
spend money go here

Here's what I've learned in my 30+ years of playing in bands. When I was younger I went thru the gear flipping phase. Always believed there was a better amp, pedal, guitar, etc... Assumed every newly released amp was better than what I had. Wasted a lot of time and money. Today I own an '82 2204, Gower Kali mod, Friedman BE100, Bogner 101B, DSL40c, several guitars, and a pedalboard. I honestly have dialed all my amps to sound almost identical. Any one of them could be all I need. When I play out, I tend to take the same one or two guitars, and will occasionally take different amps for the hell of it. I'd like to move most of my excess stuff, but don't feel like dealing with the selling process. Truth is, once you find a sound you really like, stick with it and remember that any new gear you get will take you to the same sound.

Whatever you choose, you are going to sound like you through whatever amp/modeller/etc. you are using. It isn't going to make you a better player but it may inspire you to record something or play live more.

In any case, the best thing you can do is find what you like that is the sound in your head. If you are playing live with any regularity, you'll quickly realize if your head is on another planet or if the gear actually works well for you.

I think it’s easier than you think. If you want a Marshall sound, get a Marshall, etc.

I found out long ago, Im going to sound like me through a good amp or a bad amp. So i just stick with a good amp. Most amps are not really that far apart.
This. Listening to the very well done Zen amp demos has proven what I already knew. Most of the amps are less different than Coke is to Pepsi. Sure they're different and I definitely prefer Coke to Pepsi, but it's still cola. I sound like me pretty much no matter what relatively highish gain amp I'm playing.
And it's not just if you can afford it it's okay. It can still be an addiction and really self inflicted life stressor.

How do you stop yourself from buying more gear? Since i started playing guitar...i was a tone chaser. More focused on gear and guitar than actually improving my playing. Its been back and forth with my love for gear. Boughts tons of tube amps, preamps, racks, guitars and custom guitars. My GAS got better when i settled down and had kids but every now and then it does come back. For anyone who has this problem and is not fully cured meaning you dont have any urge to buy any more guitars or amps and seeing a new amp or guitar doesnt make you want to buy it...what helped you or what did you do to overcome this issue? Any advice?

For me i have tried quiting any guitar or gear related groups on the internet and even stop listening to music or playing guitar...but after 4 or 5 months of absense from that I eventually came back. Also this video helped

TL;DR

In short - spend less time doom scrolling on the net and more time with your fingers on the strings
/end

I had an almost 3 year run of not buying any gear. I did it by not going on any gear forums or watching gear videos on YouTube.
And stay out of guitar shops also!
These forums/YT video’s are the real
machine behind it.
Now with machine learning algorithms and if you leave Bluetooth on…., it’s become increasingly difficult.
They bled through the forums like the f’n Blob at the movie theatre…ARGH!!!
My best remedy is to “sleep on it”.
Or go to Tuesday night funk night in Asheville
and get up there and come and get your love!!!
No gear will save you, not even a kill switch.
That always gets me sorted!!!

This. Listening to the very well done Zen amp demos has proven what I already knew. Most of the amps are less different than Coke is to Pepsi. Sure they're different and I definitely prefer Coke to Pepsi, but it's still cola. I sound like me pretty much no matter what relatively highish gain amp I'm playing.
And it's not just if you can afford it it's okay. It can still be an addiction and really self inflicted life stressor.
Speaking of Coke……. You can always spend your funds on that? Hookers along for the ride………

I think the key is to have limited versatility and occasionally treat yourself.

For me, having a Les Paul, Strat, and hair metal type guitar covers anything I'd need and now I have that. Then important to have low, mid, and high gain amp tones. I've given up finding the best. I'm a Marshall tones person.

If gear flipping keeps you into it, so what? Yeah it’s an addiction. But guess what? It’s my favorite thing, always has been, always will be. Music chose me as much as I chose it.

I say if getting new gear, recycling gear, researching gear, hanging out on forums etc keeps your juices flowing, then good for you!

Back