Most overrated amp?

I would say most Diezel amps. I do like them BUT for new prices, it's pretty insane. People also seem to absolutely love them or hate them. The VH4, to me, has one great channel (3) and the other 3 are good or ok. On the used market they are a fantastic deal but new....I can't (or wont i guess is more appropriate) The Herbert is IMO the best sounding but it's also incredibly heavy and expensive to re-tube. It also REALLY goes up my ass that a 2203 is $2k-$3k but that's just me.

Edit because of recent developments:

Most overrated amp in my personal experience: Larry Dino 939 - that guy spent decades building some myth around his amps and even though I really liked its British mode it got absolutely crushed by other amps I've had and some of them still have when it comes to dynamics, immediate response, versatility and simply sounding massive on its own.

It seems that answer completely depends on the year. Nowadays there's so much crap gear peddled by influencers on YouTube.. whatever amp those currently hype is probably the most overrated amp right now.

Anything digital. Overrated and outdated almost overnight
I do like to use my regularly updated Helix Rack as multi-fx though.

Last edited:
I would say most Diezel amps. I do like them BUT for new prices, it's pretty insane. People also seem to absolutely love them or hate them. The VH4, to me, has one great channel (3) and the other 3 are good or ok. On the used market they are a fantastic deal but new....I can't (or wont i guess is more appropriate) The Herbert is IMO the best sounding but it's also incredibly heavy and expensive to re-tube. It also REALLY goes up my ass that a 2203 is $2k-$3k but that's just me.
I say this a lot but I have an old Herbert mk 1 that hangs with my Hermansons and Wizards . I have a vh4 and it does this one great thing so maybe vh4 I could understand you saying that . But every amp in this thread is good in ways

As far as the C+ I knew a couple people that bought them new and they are a good amp 1 year only production but I really never have seen the amount of interest in them until the last few years. The most over rated Id say is a tie between a SLO and a Wizard. Two way overpriced amplifiers.But then maybe I should say over priced not over rated? Not saying they dont sound good but you can make due with others and the listener would never know. That being said most amps are overpriced and over rated. Its the player not playee. Bogners over rated. Any modded marshall is over rated. Im still thinking its to do with this constant ringing in my ears. A thought Nugent a wall of Dual Showman 100 watt Fenders/ Free for All . I have never heard such glorious noise out of a fender amp than that MFer could pullout those things with a Gibson Byrdland. It actually takes the cake over almost all rock tones especially if you there getting pushed and squeezed to death 3 feet from the stage sweating your ass off watching this fuckn madman tear it up for 2 hours solid. What did i say? :shocked:

Fair enough. FX are FX, not a “tone generating” amplifier.
I can't even disagree. I use plugins, was an early adopter of digital modeling amps and IRs back when IR loader weren't a thing, I really like that Helix (more so than the Axe I had) but to me it's always more fun to play an analog amp.

Overpriced: Any amp over $5k USD in my opinion.

Over rated: mk 2c+, i have owned mk iii that sound 100% dead on, same as the jp2c, feel maybe not 100%.

Back