My Favorite VH Tone

In order:
VH 1, Fair Warning, WACF, 1984, VH 2, DD
The rest doesn’t register with me, though there is some good music here and there in the later era

Some early live bootlegs would be near the top too.

I know that I'm probably in the minority, but my favorite is Diver Down. Hang Em High is perfect. I love the first five and when you are cranking the volume they all sound great, but I feel like DD has that tone without having to crank the stereo.

I agree....until I listen to FW, then it's FW. Then i listen to VH1 and now it's the best lol. And so on and so on

Reactions: ccn
When I was younger, early VH.

As I got older - loved the thickness of the balance tone. Especially the live tone from that tour.

Two completely different approaches but instantly recognizable.

Yes, I really didn’t care for 5150 album tones either, But interestingly, I wonder if I would like fair warning even more if it had that VHII guitar tone?🤔
Another-words, I sometimes wonder whether I like the ‘fair warning tone’ because I am being swayed by the music itself and not the actual guitar tone…

I saw Van Halen in 1981, 1984, 1986, 1991, 1995, 1998, 2012…
The worst live tone I ever heard from Eddie (for me) was the 1995 tour.
The best Marshall tone was 1984 concert.
The best Post Marshall tone, by a mile, was 1998 with his Peavey 5150II amplifiers. The juice he had that night, those amplifiers sounded like they were going to catch fire at any second…

It’s all subjective though, I guess nobody’s right or wrong.

I appreciate that the tones evolved with the Super Lead setup. That first album was unlike anything before and peaked at Fair Warning. Still nothing like it in recorded tones. The later stuff is really a different topic once the preamp gain was utilized.

Back