Jet City amps - DC elevated AC heaters?

ledvedder

Has anyone implemented AC elevated heaters on any of the Jet City amps? I see mention of DC elevation in some of the old threads at Guitar Gear Forum, but can't find anything about AC elevation.

There’s no such thing as ac elevation. There’s DC elevation and AC on DC elevation but no such thing as AC elevation.

Reactions: Geo
There’s no such thing as ac elevation. There’s DC elevation and AC on DC elevation but no such thing as AC elevation.
I suppose that's what I mean. When you tap off HT using a voltage divider to get a refence above ground.
Screenshot_20221021_104437_Chrome.jpg

My JCA800 came with a bridge rectified DC elevated heater circuit on the PI tube, but I ended up removing it in favor of making room for the effects loop board I put in. Didn't notice any sort of loss or gain of hiss/noise/etc so I don't think it's needed.

For the majority of stock amps it isn’t needed and resistor compositions will impact noise floor more than elevating the heaters. I should know - I traded a bad noise floor for sound quality and I have elevated heaters. It comes with the territory with high gain builds and some noisy resistor composition in particular locations.

Remember years ago when folks thought (me initially too) that 'elevated heaters' meant literally elevating the heater wire over the board? This was exclusive to PCB based amps, and requires cutting heater trace, then running the twisted wire to each socket. I'm sure there's some value to it, but again most of these amps just don't need that kind of a mod.

Last edited:
Back