IK ToneX? Anyone use it?

N

Nigel

Looks like the Kemper killer and solution for direct digital recording I’ve been looking for.

Check it!

I wasn't that impressed by the demo personally. Seems like it cuts the natural body of the amp and really, does it serve a purpose if you can just play your amp into a captor X or similar?

It's not a Kemper killer if you can't use it outside of your DAW. Mooer was close but they botched it with making the capture process an iOS exclusive app and never develop/support it further just like they do with everything they put out. If I want to profile my amps it's not for recording because I can easily use a reactive load or a ton of different tools for that so I couldn't be less interested, tbh.

Ultimately, the Kemper's appeal was to have your studio/boutique/vintage/whatever amp sound on stage and when you're recording, DAW only is kinda lackluster and EQ matching plugins already got me close about 20 years ago when I thought it's fun to chase other tones for different projects. I might be more interested if they release a "hardware player" at a reasonable price. Scratch that, I would've been interested a few years ago but now it's way too late for that.

Last edited:
I just saw big hairy guitars vid the other night and ordered it on the spot.. total impulse buy. I pretty much never got a good profile from my Kemper... so spending $199 on something that sounded better at capturing... why not. Worse case its more shit I don't need lol. I just want to capture my recording chain(s) with various amps and pedals accurately so I can record late night in any room off a laptop without having to setup all my shit. Unlike many of you bastards I do not have a dedicated room for all my shit... I'll post some clips for sure when I get it.

I just saw big hairy guitars vid the other night and ordered it on the spot.. total impulse buy. I pretty much never got a good profile from my Kemper... so spending $199 on something that sounded better at capturing... why not. Worse case its more shit I don't need lol. I just want to capture my recording chain(s) with various amps and pedals accurately so I can record late night in any room off a laptop without having to setup all my shit. Unlike many of you bastards I do not have a dedicated room for all my shit... I'll post some clips for sure when I get it.
Yep. I wanna capture my amp with tubes red plating! Going to need a silent recording setup over the winter and this looks like the cat’s pajamas. I can get crushing tones out of an Eleven Rack so this should be killer.

It's a miss if you ask me.. found this and it confirms it.

this is my video, I’ve been doing various captures with it and it’s a total hit or miss right now and they 1000000% rushed the release before it’s ready.

Spoken to others who are all encountering the same thing. Direct captures with high gain end up lacking bass (my Rectifier came out 15dB light in low end). Some others have captured the same tone different times and got different results each time.

When it works it sounds good, but it’s so inconsistent right now. Supposedly there’s a fix coming next week but I don’t have my hopes up yet. The other issue I have is that making captures is so slow, would be basically be impossible to use on a session for me.

this is my video, I’ve been doing various captures with it and it’s a total hit or miss right now and they 1000000% rushed the release before it’s ready.

Spoken to others who are all encountering the same thing. Direct captures with high gain end up lacking bass (my Rectifier came out 15dB light in low end). Some others have captured the same tone different times and got different results each time.

When it works it sounds good, but it’s so inconsistent right now. Supposedly there’s a fix coming next week but I don’t have my hopes up yet. The other issue I have is that making captures is so slow, would be basically be impossible to use on a session for me.
They should not have rushed the release, seems like it will hurt sales now more than anything.

Hard pass on this one for me. Especially on how dreadfully long the software takes on fully profiling your amp.

Hi, yes i’m using it, the UI is terrible, but the convinence of having access to my gear already dialed and miced how i like it is really usefull..

for me the tone match with the real hardware is perfect..

what other user do is ranging from awesome to terrible so i choose to not swim into that pool

It's a total mess at the moment... it shows promise, but I think IK released this one a bit too early. There are bugs, crashes, insane long capture times for some people but not others... for now, stay away. I bought it but it only works part of the time, and there's no rhyme or reason to when it will crash my DAW. When it works, the stock captures sound pretty good, and there are some great user captures on ToneNet, but I don't have a reamp box to try it myself yet. I'm going to give it a bit more time to ferment before solidifying my opinions on ToneX, but at the moment fig you haven't bought in, that money is better off staying in your pocket. I do have faith that IK will work this all out though.

I might pick it up the software because why not. But I don’t really have interest in capturing my amps but I have an axe io and it looks like I can use that for captures if I wanted.

one cool thing is like is the ability to share weird, rare amps, cabs, or uncommon gear combination.. i'm not the greatest at shooting demo so sharing the tonal DNA of strange amps and some great cab ir made with real hardware is fun!

ex : i've put my peavey bravo drive channel through a 2x12 with lynchbacks. boost not pulled and pulled. 2 profiles

the Biggest mistakes people are making, imo, is to eq the tone at the console to make it nice to -their- ears/mix. it rarely works outside if their situation and often sounds terrible.

i just put a 57 dead center on the speaker, the rest the user will have to work to fit it in its mix. as they should normally do.

So mine came in today... So the interface is kinda fkn weird but making captures is pretty fkn cool to me. Made two Butterslax Ch 3 captures with the gain almost maxed lol... absolutely impossible to profile with a Kemper unless the gain is dialed back to like 6 to some tame shit like that... Anyway I did the crazy long ass capture method first, over an hour.. and did the middle option 2nd about 13 minutes.

To me its cool and sounds decent. I like dialing the bass back and using the depth knob and just a bit of presence.. then again I have tinnitus lol

1665287992777.png

TONEX 5 HOUR.jpg
2nd option capture.jpg

Definitely not a kemper killer lol. It works very well but definitely lacks in the feel department due to normal plug-in latency. I have noticed the capture cuts a lot of the gain out which you can add back in somewhat afterwards. Also it takes an annoyingly long time to get a good capture. Great value for the price 👍

Back