Anybody use Line 6 Helix ?

veji

Trying to get some usable sounds out of my helix. What amps and cabs are you using? Any advice?

Trying to get some usable sounds out of my helix. What amps and cabs are you using? Any advice?
Used one for a bit… got rid of it as tube amps are more my thing. However, good external irs were key for me with any of these modelers. Line 6 irs SUCK. I’d recommend bogren digital irs.

Yeah, you definitely want to get some 3rd party IR's with it. I've had good success with Ownhammer and York. But generally when I play mine now, it's into a SD powerstage driving a real cab with the IR/cab sims off. As for the amps, with what I do, I like the Angl Meteor, the Archon, and the Badonk. Might want to use a boost block as well.

Yeah, you definitely want to get some 3rd party IR's with it. I've had good success with Ownhammer and York. But generally when I play mine now, it's into a SD powerstage driving a real cab with the IR/cab sims off. As for the amps, with what I do, I like the Angl Meteor, the Archon, and the Badonk. Might want to use a boost block as well.
Exact reason I stuck with a tube amp. I was like if I’m going to use a power amp and real cab to make this thing sound good…. Why not just use the real thing.

I couldn't stand my Helix.. couldn't get any good sounds out of it. I got a Fractal FM3 and I can't make it sound bad.

Which ir packs do you recommend. Can u share some presets

Celestion had a ir of the evh gb’s and that’s the only one I needed. Depending on the amp model being used low cut was at 80 and high cut was 6-6.5 no higher.

I am really happy with my Helix and won't be going back to amps for gigs ever again. Currently I'm using the Orange Rockerverb amp with an Ownhammer v30 ir. The thing that made the Helix sound better to me was using the Mesa 5 band eq in a V pattern between the amp and cab. It tightens everything up quite a bit in my opinion.

I use the basic Ownhammer Mesa impulses. The stock cabs in the HX kinda suck.

I like the Rectifier model quite a lot.

I boost mine with a Duncan 805 going through an FX loop.

I use the Hx Stomp for effects only and to control my evh 50.

So from my point of view, the effects are damn good, not as pristine as my Axe3 but still too notch.

The next update is expected to drop anytime and is widely expected to have completely redone cab blocks from their Metallurgy plugins, which got rave reviews fwiw.

My go to amps in there are the Badonk, Archetypes, plexi trem, Placater, and Brit 2204. Badonk is crazy responsive to my guitar volume knob and can go clean to brutal. It’s my go to snapshot amp. I believe it’s based on a modded triple rectifier but really doesn’t feel rectoish to me.

How are you using it? Straight into Audio Interface? FRFR's? Amp/Cab? Or maybe all of the above?

With so many ways it can be used, personally, I find some work great while others struggle to satisfy.

my main setup is the stomp with a psa 2.0 in the loop. I run it through a mess 2:fifty power amp and it’s pretty nice.

Back