New isolation closet setup. (Post yours up!)

spguitar

I'm loving how quiet I can record upstairs now. Luckily I found the foam at an Amazon overstock store for $5.
The Warm Audio WA-47 records so good with the 57. I'm debating getting a new ribbon or a Sennheiser 421 now.
Any other suggestions? I previously owned a Heil PR30 (miss it) and an Audix i5.
Linking what I just recorded with this mic combo below.

4DaagM6h.jpg

bvIQa04h.jpg

I’m a giant fan of 421 because I feel it sounds closest of grabbing the tone my ears actually hear . Idk for me it’s great

If you can swing it get an old white 421 - sounds much better for guitar than the newer ones imo.

A standard 57 kind of grates on me.
Much prefer this modded one
Tab Funkenwerk T58

Another killer mic to blend that doesn’t get talked about is the Beyerdynamic M201

So many good ones on guitar cabs.

If you can swing it get an old white 421 - sounds much better for guitar than the newer ones imo.

A standard 57 kind of grates on me.
Much prefer this modded one
Tab Funkenwerk T58

Another killer mic to blend that doesn’t get talked about is the Beyerdynamic M201

So many good ones on guitar cabs.
We used a 57,421 and m201 on my old band's ep in a studio. The 201 is a beast!

i bought a 421 and i never use it. i have the mic clip that holds it and a 57 ive tried maybe twice. i like the audix D2.

I got the sE Electronics VR1 Voodoo ribbon mics and I love them. They are very smoothe and have a good high end responce so that the mic doesn't sound too dark. I also just got a (matched) pair of their 4400a mics. I primarily got them for overhead, but I really want to mess around with them. They just showed up Thursday and I'm anxious to use them this week. The sE 4400a is supposed to be an AKG 414 equivalent of sorts, so we'll see.

This reminds of the time when a friend of mine built an disgustingly large 5x5x5ft iso-cube godzilla abomination on casters before we bought the Randall isocab. I must have some pics on my old hd. Sadly we ditched those cabs when we began to use IRs. Nowadays I'm back to using mics or I like to mix in some analog cab sim with my IRs.

I’m a giant fan of 421 because I feel it sounds closest of grabbing the tone my ears actually hear . Idk for me it’s great
For me that would probably be the Aston Spirit or Origin right now.

Last edited:
I'm dying to try a Royer. Have you tried the SE ribbons?
I bought one for recording out of the house so I don't have to worry about wrecking a $1500 mic . It's not exactly the same as the R121 with the Royer having more detail, but it does add that kind of flavor for $1200 less. It's worth a try.

IMG_20221030_134321587.jpg

I'm loving how quiet I can record upstairs now. Luckily I found the foam at an Amazon overstock store for $5.
The Warm Audio WA-47 records so good with the 57. I'm debating getting a new ribbon or a Sennheiser 421 now.
Any other suggestions? I previously owned a Heil PR30 (miss it) and an Audix i5.
Linking what I just recorded with this mic combo below.

4DaagM6h.jpg

bvIQa04h.jpg

Sounds good BTW..

Technically you haven't done much with that foam but potentially lower a bit of the fluffer. If you can, Rockwool the inside of that closet. Control reflections AND assist with controlling volume.

Technically you haven't done much with that foam but potentially lower a bit of the fluffer. If you can, Rockwool the inside of that closet. Control reflections AND assist with controlling volume.
I was mostly going for eliminating reflections and that boomy sound iso cabs tend to have. So far so good. I will look into some rockwool for the sides and back though!

Back