Any pedal recommendation for a Mark III?

DaveShred86

I know I know...Marks don't wake pedals well, or do they?

I am trying to turn my Mark III into a firespitting machinegun for death metal, with really high levels of gain, any pedal recommendation to achieve this?

Something really transparent or that doesn't have much of an EQ curve to it will work good, like a MXR 6 band EQ. Just set the sliders flat or maybe in a really shallow frown near the top, that should work well. Reason being you don't want something to tighten it more cause Mark III's already have the capability to get really tight, so an OD pedal would just be overkill IMO and thin your tone out.

Thanks a lot for your answers!

"or maybe in a really shallow frown near the top"

Are you refering to any particular group of frequencies?

I do happen to have an eq lying around... very transparent by the way...

Thanks a lot for your answers!

"or maybe in a really shallow frown near the top"

Are you refering to any particular group of frequencies?

I do happen to have an eq lying around... very transparent by the way...
Just shape all of your sliders in a frown, but a shallow frown from left to right with your mid frequencies like 750 and 1.6k at the top, and if it has a level? push that up to taste.

I understand, so that means trying to push all the frequencies on a more flat way keeping 750 and 1.6 at the top, just to "compensate" the post distortion curve I guess.. ?? Anyway I will try this idea.

The mxr fat sugar is my new favorite, ads just a bit of girth, grit and a little sheen on top while not coloring as much as an sd1 or ts9.

Seems the bad monkey is getting a lot of love here, definitively I would want to try this...

What about the Fortin Hexdrive? what do you guys think?

My goal is something like this more in regards of evilness...

Seems the bad monkey is getting a lot of love here, definitively I would want to try this...

he uses a maxon 808+ or something i think its called now?? its red. cannibal used metalzones for a while as boosts too

You should be able to dial in killer DM tones with a III boosted or unboosted, but to achieve Rutan’s tone in that clip, you need a Recto, plain and simple. A Mark doesn’t have the clank that he’s getting.

You should be able to dial in killer DM tones with a III boosted or unboosted, but to achieve Rutan’s tone in that clip, you need a Recto, plain and simple. A Mark doesn’t have the clank that he’s getting.
True about the Recto, but to me my Mark sounds really good unboosted for thrash stuff, yet I still have to find a tone gainy enough for Death Metal, I'll try boosting it.

It's like it is very close, but it's lacking the final step of madness on it.

Have you seen any example of killer DM with a Mark? Not European DM a la Bolt Thrower, but more American stuff like Deicide/Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel..

True about the Recto, but to me my Mark sounds really good unboosted for thrash stuff, yet I still have to find a tone gainy enough for Death Metal, I'll try boosting it.

It's like it is very close, but it's lacking the final step of madness on it.

Have you seen any example of killer DM with a Mark? Not European DM a la Bolt Thrower, but more American stuff like Deicide/Cannibal Corpse/Morbid Angel..

thats why i like the fat sugar, its just like that final step without killing the base tone, you should have plenty of gain with that thing to do those tones. any of the pedals though mentioned in this thread will work, its just a matter of taste.

Back