Official Scumback Speakers Questions & Information Thread!

Most of my clients are getting the J75 or M75 65w speakers as the alternative to the V30 upper mid spike. Many mix the M75 & J75 to have a wider midrange response.
I've got this combo in my 4X12 and it works great with my Splawn
my 2X12 has the same combo, now I just picked up a 1X12, which speaker would you recommend on it's own to come close to that M75/J75 blend?

Anyone know what’s up over at Scumback? I was looking to place an order and see he is on hiatus. No response to my email either.
He posted in March that there was a serious 'illness' in the family and he was stopping the business until that was taken care of.
Actually that's my paraphrased version. . HEre's what he posted on Facebook:

"3/2/22 Due to a family emergency I will be unable to run my business until the crisis is over. Once the family crisis is over I will announce it on my Facebook page. I’m sorry this was so sudden but I really had no control over the timing."
Jim

Eric

Last edited:
Worthy update from the Scumback website:

Good News !!!!!
Jim is recovering from his surgery nicely. Some days are better that others, but he’s on the mend.

Due to Jim's health issues there WILL BE NO SHIPPMENTS OUTSIDE THE USA.

We can NO LONGER ship USPS priority mail or FedEx express until the current worldwide shipping crisis is resolved.

Expect shipments anywhere from 2-4 weeks after your order is received .

Thanks for your patience and understanding.
4/19/22

Worthy update from the Scumback website:

Good News !!!!!
Jim is recovering from his surgery nicely. Some days are better that others, but he’s on the mend.

Due to Jim's health issues there WILL BE NO SHIPPMENTS OUTSIDE THE USA.

We can NO LONGER ship USPS priority mail or FedEx express until the current worldwide shipping crisis is resolved.

Expect shipments anywhere from 2-4 weeks after your order is received .
I just went here to post the same thing. Thanks for posting it ahead of me :)

Eric

I am back working weekends for now. My cardio and PT rehab will run through the end of August, then I'll be able to move back home, finish rehab up in Prescott AZ, and build speakers to keep up with demand. My lead speaker builder has certainly been buried, caught COVID and was out for two weeks. He just got back about 10 days ago, and between us, we've caught up on 80 back ordered speakers.

Now we're building for in stock models (BM and M models mostly) for impulse buyers. Nothing like a heart transplant to slow your ass down, let me tell you!

Jim

I am back working weekends for now. My cardio and PT rehab will run through the end of August, then I'll be able to move back home, finish rehab up in Prescott AZ, and build speakers to keep up with demand. My lead speaker builder has certainly been buried, caught COVID and was out for two weeks. He just got back about 10 days ago, and between us, we've caught up on 80 back ordered speakers.

Now we're building for in stock models (BM and M models mostly) for impulse buyers. Nothing like a heart transplant to slow your ass down, let me tell you!

Jim
Wow. Best wishes for a speedy recovery!

I am going to equip a 2x12 cabinet with a Mesa Vintage 30 (100 dB sensitivity) and something else - probably a 55Hz speaker. From what I can gather, the 55H PVC has a 98/99 dB sensitivity. Do you think it's a mismatch? If not, do you have a recommendation on which speaker should be installed in the top/slanted position?

I am going to equip a 2x12 cabinet with a Mesa Vintage 30 (100 dB sensitivity) and something else - probably a 55Hz speaker. From what I can gather, the 55H PVC has a 98/99 dB sensitivity. Do you think it's a mismatch? If not, do you have a recommendation on which speaker should be installed in the top/slanted position?
The H55-PVC and the V30 should pair up pretty well, the 1db difference isn't going to be a big factor.

I imagine you get a lot of these type of questions, but what would you recommend for a Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo? They come stock with V30's, but the general complaint about that amp is it tends to be too bright. I've seen a lot people recommend Scumback speakers for this amp and since I now own one, I'm in the market for some. I have to say I am a fan of the V30, but tend to not like the high mid spike they tend to have. Any suggestions would very appreciated.

I imagine you get a lot of these type of questions, but what would you recommend for a Mesa Stiletto Ace 2x12 combo? They come stock with V30's, but the general complaint about that amp is it tends to be too bright. I've seen a lot people recommend Scumback speakers for this amp and since I now own one, I'm in the market for some. I have to say I am a fan of the V30, but tend to not like the high mid spike they tend to have. Any suggestions would very appreciated.
A pair of M75 65w is what I'd recommend for that Mesa.

The M75 mixes well with and also is a fine replacement for a V30 in most cases. I've had way too many clients come back and tell me what they paired their M75 with to not recommend that pairing. Apparently losing a V30 and putting the Scumback in instead tames the upper mid spike and brings some richer mid tones to the mix. I learn from players/clients/amp makers all the time.

Been playing the pair of M75 65w's I got a while back and can't be happier. As they're breaking, they're sounding even better and better. Thanks again for the fine recommendation and fantastic speaker!

Back