NAD: Boogie mark III+

Dave L

Lately I´ve found myself looking at Boogies again, sort of missing the blue-stripe Coliseum I had five years ago and probably sold a little too fast. Anyway, I got in touch with a guy in the next town over about this fine specimen, and even though it´s a bit more expensive than what I originally was thinking it seemed well worth it. It´s a 1985 no-stripe (or black dot, I guess) with service, R2 vol and III+ mods done by Mike B in 2016. First impression is that I like it better than the blue, which was a little sharp to my ears. Stoked to have one again, and sometimes deals just line up themselves :giggle:

jalcTT9.jpg

dpmCTUi.jpg

It´s actually a bit funny we associate that wood-and-wicker look with super heavy guitars, I´m not sure the hifi system my dad had in 1977 would elicit the same response :giggle:
I know,right? I think this really only applies to these older Mesa amps tho.
But I do get turned on when I see the newer stuff with wood face plates.
The Driftwood and Omega heads look glorious with the fancy wood fronts.
But old Mesa heads in wood and wicker just seem beautifully wicked...because we know what lies beneath.

I’ve been saying for 10 years now that the boogie Mark three amplifiers are some of the best amplifiers ever made. Everyone that I’ve ever bought was $500 or less. I always thought they were a $3000 amp myself. At least that’s what I would’ve had to pay to find something comparable.

Thanks everyone, it does sound great. Spent an hour or two dialing it in yesterday and I'm really happy with it so far, even though it is similar to the blue-stripe those subtle differences add up in the end and this one is more to my liking.

I’ve been saying for 10 years now that the boogie Mark three amplifiers are some of the best amplifiers ever made. Everyone that I’ve ever bought was $500 or less. I always thought they were a $3000 amp myself. At least that’s what I would’ve had to pay to find something comparable.

Well, they are several times more expensive now, but still not outrageous compared to what they bring to the table.

For sure, all the Marks have a huge variety of crappy tones unless you focus on the dialing for a bit. Mud, honk, piercing treble... but when it's on it's on. I was really digging my strats with the pull bass shift just now.

Back