Mesa JP-2C vs. MKV vs. MKIII clips

PurityS.L.G

Got to do a quick shootout today with these three amps. Results were interesting but not surprising.

Signal chain:
Guitar: Charvel SoCal body with custom roasted maple neck from Musikraft loaded w/ Bare Knuckle VHII
Loadbox: Two Notes Captor X
IR: ML Sound Lab Mega-OS-906-A (Mesa OS Recto cab)

All 3 amps were plugged in straight from guitar with nothing in between. No boosts or any other pedals.

Clips are straight raw processing. No post EQ, compression, etc. Recorded 2 separate tracks (1 left and 1 right) for each amp.

Settings for JP-2C and MKV were exact. Full power 90w triode mode for MKV and 100w mode for JP. Simul class for MKIII.

Clock settings
Gain: 2:00 (pushed in w/ JP)
Master: 12:00
Presence: 11:30 (pulled out w/ JP)
Treble: 2:00
Mid: 9:00
Bass: off

GEQ: 80hz & 6.6K just under the max line
240hz & 2.2k bottom of slider knob touching the middle line (slight boost)
750hz bottom of slider touching bottom line so almost completely scooped out.

MKIII Red Stripe DRG settings;

Dial settings
Volume: 8 pulled bright
Treble: 7.5 pulled shift
Bass: 2 pushed
Mid: 6 pushed
Master: 8 pulled deep
Lead Drive: 8 pulled
Lead Master: 7

GEQ: same as JP and MKV listed above

Drums: EZ Drummer 3. Used the band assistant feature and as you can tell kinda sucked ass LOL. It gets the point across but I'm sorry if they are annoying sounding. DIdn't have time nor really wanted to put in such great effort when all I really wanted was to showcase the amps. All I did was try to get as close as possible to each other sound wise.

With drums;

id probably take the JP2C, the V sounds good too. the iii though im a little surprised, i expected something a lot more aggressive based on peoples descriptions, seems a little weak sounding compared to the other two here

id probably take the JP2C, the V sounds good too. the iii though im a little surprised, i expected something a lot more aggressive based on peoples descriptions, seems a little weak sounding compared to the other two here
My MKIII blacks were much more aggressive.

Find a Blue or Green Stripe MK3++

Or

Remove C30 in the circuit. Not a fan of Red Stripes in general... but it could also be due to servicing needs. May need new filter caps, electro-caps, and who knows what else. MK3s are tanks... but even tanks need maintenance.

I'll take a MK3++ over the other options everyday and twice on Sunday.

I think the Mark V sounded best here, as it had the most balanced tone. The III sounded like it needed a little more gain or something.

Find a Blue or Green Stripe MK3++

Or

Remove C30 in the circuit. Not a fan of Red Stripes in general... but it could also be due to servicing needs. May need new filter caps, electro-caps, and who knows what else. MK3s are tanks... but even tanks need maintenance.

I'll take a MK3++ over the other options everyday and twice on Sunday.
Mark III++'s aren't exactly the easiest amps to find. Plus Mike B no longer does those mods.

Yeah I ran out of time yesterday to test out but the amp hasn't had a tube swap in a while, let alone if it has ever had any service done. Its my friends amp so its his call. It still sounded mean in person and it had more low end punch than the JP-2C.

Those black stripe or black dot III's are the least aggressive of the stripes, but they also probably sound closest to the IIC+.

To which IIC+?

HRG...
DRG...
SRG...
HG...
SG...
KRG...

And which PT... 100PT... 105PT... Export...

There is not 1 Uber/Penultimate IIC+ model.

I think I like the V best here
Its the most fullest sounding of the bunch for sure. It has a midrange that you can't dial out unless you add an extra EQ in the loop, which is fine I guess but I like how the JP stock you can scoop out to sound more like the actual IIC+ AND boost to sound like a MKV. It has a much more versatile lead channel for sure.

To which IIC+?

HRG...
DRG...
SRG...
HG...
SG...
KRG...

And which PT... 100PT... 105PT... Export...

There is not 1 Uber/Penultimate IIC+ model.
Just the IIC+ in general. Even though there are different types of IIC+'s doesn't mean they don't all share the same DNA.

Just the IIC+ in general. Even though there are different types of IIC+'s doesn't mean they don't all share the same DNA.

giphy.gif

Back