Top 5150 Tones!!

I also think gojira is the ultimate 5150 band. I don’t know if they ever used the peavey stuff but there 5150 sound really stands out.
As far as I know, they've been on the 5150 III, in various forms, since Way of All Flesh. I love the guitar tone on that album. The guitars are also through a Peavey 5150 cab on that album. The EVH cab came after that. I've read lots of conflicting things regarding their earlier albums. That said, most seem to think it was either a Dual Rectifier, 5150/5150ii, or both. I just haven't run across anything definitive.

Since everyone already mentioned Heartwork and Machine Head (even though I'd give the edge to The More Things Change for guitar tone alone—5150 into Marshall 1960 V30 mic'd with 2x MD421s), I'll call out some slightly less well known recordings:

The Haunted - rEVOLVEr. Fredman said this was something like a 5150 II's preamp into an OG 5150's power section. Edit: It was actually the 5150 II preamp into the front end of the OG 5150's clean channel. Pretty funky setup.

Alice in Chains - Sludge Factory. Possibly the only song Jerry actually recorded with the 5150 EVH gave him. Sounds huge compared to the rest of the album.

In Flames
Devin Townsend (e.g. Strapping Young Lad, Ocean Machine: Biomech, Soilwork's Natural Born Chaos)

Well, too many to count really. 5150's were everywhere (and still are considering that a shitload of stuff is just a 5150 disguised in a new look with some additional features). It's kinda the reason I still have a 5150 pre even though I could never really gel with the 5150/6505 when I had one.
For what it's worth, Ocean Machine and SYL's City were a Mike Morin Laney AOR conversion. The SYL self-titled album was Rectifier I believe, and Alien was the one recorded with a 5150.

Last edited:
Since everyone already mentioned Heartwork and Machine Head (even though I'd give the edge to The More Things Change for guitar tone alone—5150 into Marshall 1960 V30 mic'd with 2x MD421s), I'll call out some slightly less well known recordings:

The Haunted - rEVOLVEr. Fredman said this was something like a 5150 II's preamp into an OG 5150's power section.

Alice in Chains - Sludge Factory. Possibly the only song Jerry actually recorded with the 5150 EVH gave him. Sounds huge compared to the rest of the album.

For what it's worth, Ocean Machine and SYL's City were a Mike Morin Laney AOR conversion. The SYL self-titled album was Rectifier I believe, and Alien was the one recorded with a 5150.

Good list. Also yes you nailed it, the majority of SYL’s earlier stuff and city etc was a morin modded Marshall. I believe he had one of mikes preamps too.

For what it's worth, this is what Devin wrote.

For Ocean Machine - Ki, I used 2 Peavey 5150 amps, ESP Telecasters and Explorers with EMG 81 pickups, a Morley Bad Horsey wah and a vast slew of terrible a/b boxes to split the signal to the gp 100.

For what it's worth, this is what Devin wrote.
I believe that he wrote that, but he specifically says in an interview from 2010 that it was a Morin modded Laney. Translated from Swedish:

Interviewer: Your first solo album; Ocean Machine was the start of your sound. Which amplifier did you use then?
Devin: I used a custom amplifier "modded" by Mike Morin in Los Angeles. It was basically an old Laney but was really perfect for me.
This detail, combined with Jed Simon and Gene Hoglan saying on the now-defunct SYL forum that City (recorded just months before Ocean Machine) was a Morin amp, is more believable to me than a blanket statement made 7 years later that he used 5150s for 12 years. At least, that's how I interpret the "Ocean Machine - Ki" reference.

Carcass/Arch Enemy Tones. In Flames. Ascendency (not my cup of tea but the guitars sound amazing).

I gotta say, I have owned a lot of amps (and still have a couple kicking around), but I always keep a 5150 around. Obviously they're more expensive than they used to be, but, even at current price point, you get a lot of amp for the money for certain types of tones.

1667857903858.jpeg

Favourites that come to mind are Trivium, Chimaira and Machine Head.

another slightly lesser known one classic old sneap one, I think it’s with Greenbacks. Always find it kind of crazy how many of the classic Sneap tones aren’t 5150 (lots of Krank/JSX/Rectifier/etc)

Yeah, that's Greenbacks... but the amp is a XXX, LOL.

EVH--Buckethead live--Satriani--Dann Huff
I've heard Buckethead with the EVH amps and his tone was very good. I just don't care for molten heavy thrash type sounds , it's just mud to me.

That sounds about right too. Funny how so many tones we thought were one thing growing up, weren’t at all what we thought.

we’re here constantly talking about amps when the cab and speaker is shaping these tones way more 😂

and yet I will still continue to obsess over amps.

Back