1969 JMP Plexi listed on FB Marketplace in my neck of the woods

War_in_D

I'm going to start by saying that I don't know a thing about this amp, and I've never really been in the market for vintage Marshalls. The guy is asking $5500, so not sure how that washes out as far as "is it worth it or not". But, here is the link to the FB ad in case anyone is interested.

I have no idea why it's in another language, but it does this to me all the time. It's located in or near the Nixa/Springfield, Mo area.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/878621790182138/

So, I reached out to the guy selling to ask if he would ship and this is what he said:

Yes I can, I have a good box with plenty of padding for a safe trip. This is a very good amp. I wish I had taken some sound clips when it was in the studio just grit your teeth incredible with this mod mix. So here is the background on the amp. I was a road amp 68 super lead that spent its days in many rack configurations, 30 plus years tori g and recording. Tbrough all those years the chassis was a chuck of Swiss cheese with holes and pieces missing, so to keep the amp together all the electronics were put on a one-off British chassis and was fitted in a 69 headshell and it’s all back as it should be for playing out as the electronics survived. What also survived was it’s original 68 headbox, it was stored in a rad case fro all those years and I got it when I acquired the amp years ago. I kept it in the 69 box so I could take it out and not damage an origainl 68 headbox. I just want anyone who’s looking at the amp to know it’s travels. This is not for the museum cork sniffers with serial numbers and Rosemary signatures, but a true survivor and players dream without worrying about original solder joints and matching serial numbers yada yada…. The pots and input jacks remain original solder joints as they pop out with the board, and it’s origainl black bat switches and bridge rectifier diode solid state and all the board electronics are original. So I have the headbox but it is extra I’d someone wants it with the amp.

So, looks like he'll ship. I just told him that if anyone here is interested, that they could reach out to him directly.

The guy just sent me some pictures of the 69 head shell he's got for it, that was mentioned in the post above.

69 Headbox.jpg

69 Headbox 2.jpg

69 headbox 3.jpg

69 Headbox 4.jpg

69 Headbox 5.jpg

69 Headbox 7.jpg

69 Headbox 6.jpg

I think the headshell is a repo as originals have a rounded back corners. Newer 100W repos are squared off. Nothing and I mean nothing from 1969 looks that new or un-used.

The chassis is highly highly suspicious as is the Mercury magnetics choke - there’s no reason to replace a choke as they don’t go bad unless you couldn’t find one and were trying to piece a fake together.

Not a single solder joint has red die on it. Not one. The rear faceplate looks chemically aged with something like acetone.

Odd he also doesn’t state the original back story of where it came from.

IMHO hard pass. Why would a headshell be that new and the head not?

This looks like a relatively convincing clone.
It is to the untrained eye but in this economy you’ll see more of this occurring.

The rear faceplate was faked to look aged but tell me the serial number from the above pictures to validate the year 🙄😂😂

Also in 1969 even the Jim Marshall Products LTD on the back was ink mask quality. The ink mask printing of the lettering will easily come off due to how fragile it is and for a faceplate to look like it does not even a single corner of a single letter is missing. Not to mention the serial number would have been stamped and it’s not even there.

Last edited:
Maybe the seller bought it from the notorious Music Ground in London; they've been known for their fake vintage Marshalls.

That bunch should have done time but they just fined them with suspended sentence.
A collector in Italy was robbed of a bunch of vintage Strats, LPs…a few owned by artists. Funny, the majority of the Strats showed up but in re configured condition; neck from one on the body of another etc. all for sale at Music Ground. Many think the thieves were commissioned by the owner of Music Ground to begin with.
Fucking pos thieves

A collector in Italy was robbed of a bunch of vintage Strats, LPs…a few owned by artists. Funny, the majority of the Strats showed up but in re configured condition; neck from one on the body of another etc. all for sale at Music Ground. Many think the thieves were commissioned by the owner of Music Ground to begin with.
Fucking pos thieves
Tis true my friend!!! Nothing worse than thieving scum!! If commissioned by the owner, he shall rot in the fiery pits of hell eternally!!

Imagine spending many years, or even a lifetime putting together a guitar and amp collection that is so extensive, so epic, and so bad ass that it floors people just to glimpse it. And then have thieving scum steal it. A musician stealing from a musician. What could be lower than this!!!?! If the owner instructed the thieves to do this, there should be no end to his torment, his mind shall never be unburdened again, he should be reminded many times a day of his crimes, all while he is serving life for crimes against a guitarist.

And that poor guy who advertises a large reward on San Francisco Craigslist. The collection that was stolen from him is NOTHING SHORT OF STAGGERING!! My god…… so many rare vintage guitars. The collection that was stolen must have been worth millions. Over 200 rare vintage guitars, a lot of really old strats in rare colors. Vintage Gibsons!

I remember hearing him talking about a shop owner he does business with call him and say, “hey, I think I just bought one of your 1960 Gibson es335’s, there is a receipt in the case from when you bought it and I know you never sell guitars, you just buy them for your collection.”

Oh man. Imagine getting that call. That was the first call he got about the theft. I think he was in Mexico on vacation. He told the shop owner he definitely did not sell it. Told his friend to go check his storage space immediately and over 200 rare and vintage guitars were ALL GONE. Many rare and vintage amps were also gone. DEVASTATING.

I think he might have got around 12 or 15 back? They discovered some were sold internationally and quickly vanished. The thieves or their unsuspecting buyers sold guitars up and down the west coast and I believe those were some of the guitars he got back. The guy had been collecting for 30 or 40 years. He collected them for his sheer love of guitars. He never sold any. He got divorced, and gave his wife anything she wanted in order to keep his guitar collection.

If it were up to me, the thieves would be punished so severely, that other thieves that heard of the cruel and unusual punishment would think twice about stealing again, and if they did, and I was in charge they would also become the recipients of the brutal punishment. Think of how bummed you would be to lose those guitars to a god damned thief!!! I would say losing a cherished guitar collection, though not on par with having a child taken, is close in a sentimental way. Over many years you have got to know and love each guitar, know it’s quirks and it’s ins and outs just like a human. They could be reminders of an epic show played in Duluth, or meeting the love of your life in Pismo Beach after a show, or the night you lost a childhood friend, or even the day all those years ago you became self aware. They also serve as keys to memories and major life events. It’s absolutely devastating to be stolen from on a massive scale like that, but the guitars make it so much worse.

Just tragic.

I dunno, you can see some red dye on the presence pot lugs.
I have two 69’s, one early and a plexi, the ither later and a metal face.
The plexi has a paper assembly tag taped to the chassis by the preamp area and the serial number is written on there. The back panel is just like this one minus a crack around that serial number area with a number written in there. Figured it was stolen at some point in its life.
Many of those components look correct, some were changed, most look like mine. Even that slider for the bias…that is tricky to adjust! Mine also has the chinese hat tube holders.
My Metalface has the serial number on a label maker if I remember right. Will have to look. That 69 headshell looks exactly like mine except for the white tag. Mine is small and says model 1959. Mine is super clean like that one too. Never gigged it much. This one has tube holders made of some sort of nylon string…

I dunno, you can see some red dye on the presence pot lugs.
I have two 69’s, one early and a plexi, the ither later and a metal face.
The plexi has a paper assembly tag taped to the chassis by the preamp area and the serial number is written on there. The back panel is just like this one minus a crack around that serial number area with a number written in there. Figured it was stolen at some point in its life.
Many of those components look correct, some were changed, most look like mine. Even that slider for the bias…that is tricky to adjust! Mine also has the chinese hat tube holders.
My Metalface has the serial number on a label maker if I remember right. Will have to look. That 69 headshell looks exactly like mine except for the white tag. Mine is small and says model 1959. Mine is super clean like that one too. Never gigged it much. This one has tube holders made of some sort of nylon string…
I have read on the Marshall forum, a few of the guys that really know what's up with vintage Marshalls do say the red dye wasn't always used on the final inspection process. But they can typically tell just by looking at the solder connections if they've ever been disturbed. If anyone ever wants an old Marshall validated/invalidated, I'd suggest joining over there and then posting a pic or two of the circuit for them to examine. Very knowledgable guys over there.

Back