Price check on fugly 1980 Gibson

SpiderWars

It’s a Gibson Sonex.:poop: If you’re not familiar, it’s a Les Paul-ish shape but slab…and the body is not wood. Some sort of resin body. Bolt on hog neck with dots. Weird Gibson logo and this one is yellowish with black guard. They are top routed.

The good is that it’s the Custom version which came stock with zebra Shaw Dirty Fingers. Also ebony board.

They are deservedly very cheap for an ‘80 Gibson. This one is allegedly excellent condition with original case. Nut width is 1-11/16.

So what is a good price…or just talk me out of it. It will be in person so I’ll get to play it.

Last edited:
I remember when these things were going for like $350 in GC and it wasn't that long ago. I don't really think I'd pay too much for one unless you played it and just absolutely loved it.

I remember when these things were going for like $350 in GC and it wasn't that long ago. I don't really think I'd pay too much for one unless you played it and just absolutely loved it.
Thanks, how long ago? Also, do you remember if it was a Custom version? The other versions had Rosewood boards and Velvet Brick pickups…not familiar with Velvet Bricks but the Dirty Fingers pickups are worth more than $350 alone today.

Thanks, how long ago? Also, do you remember if it was a Custom version? The other versions had Rosewood boards and Velvet Brick pickups…not familiar with Velvet Bricks but the Dirty Fingers pickups are worth more than $350 alone today.
Well, I am getting old so not too long ago was probably 10 years ago lol. I don't remember if it was a custom version to be honest. My buddy is stopping by in a couple hours...he's bringing his Sonex so i'll give you my review

I have 2 Shaw era DFs; paid little less than 200 for each a few months ago. But a Zebra version would knock the price up a bit.

Buddy stopped by my house and brought his to let me check out. First thing he says is "So yeah this damn thing won't stay in tune ever so good luck". I did a few adjustments to it and the G string is going out of tune, I think it just needs a new nut. The neck feels chunky and pretty good, but the balance and body resonation just feels...wierd. I'm gonna crank it up tomorrow and will report back.
E84A229A-985D-4D46-AAC9-69CABB45909D.jpeg
2B827B8F-7521-49A1-AA94-C3DB9B6F5264.jpeg

I passed on the yellow one, it wasn't nearly as nice condition and didn't play that great. But it was setup poorly and 2 of the 4 pots were loose so it obviously wasn't really prepped to impress or anything. But even trying to account for that it just didn't feel like anything I'd ever want to play and he wanted too much.

And this was in the shittiest Gibson case I ever saw. A smallish, flimsy brown case with very square edges and that same weird logo. I was secondarily hoping to score a cool case that I could put my '80 LPC in since it came in an Epiphone case. I would have been cool with a chainsaw case like above.

Yeah, they are just strange, strange birds. The composite body has absolutely no resonance at all. And it did keep going out of tune (seemed like G string slipping), but I do suspect it's the nut. I will say, the pickups sound absolutely ripping despite all of it. Some really mean, beefy sounding beasts. I would love to take the pickups out and put them in another guitar. I see these guitars going for $800-1000 on reverb, there is no fucking way I'd pay anywhere near that. Maybe $300 if I really wanted the pickups and to have a beater guitar laying around. And yeah, the chainsaw case is cool as hell.

Last edited:
This was my first guitar when I started playing. Picked it because of the Gibson name. Served it's purpose, but boy what a turd.

Back