Best low volume practice amp under 300$ USD?

Randall RG80-112SC. Better than modeling amps in my opinion.
This. Plus if you need to go loud, this will do that too. It'll hang with a loud drummer no problem. You're gonna need a boost to do the really heavy stuff though.

If you’re just practicing they’re all about equal. The spark and Yamaha are much smaller and will sit desktop. Id advise getting something that has BT capabilities I’ve got a Yamaha I keep on my desk. Listen to music through it (Bluetooth) while working. Then plug in and play to a backer. Cool
Amp.

IF you think playing with a drummer or jamming with others is in your future, of those you listed, the Kat or the Vyper would be my choice.

I thought the Spark and THR sounded awful when I tried them. The Katana gets my vote. It’s simple and decent as long as it isn’t cranked. I didn’t like how it sounded at high volume, but for practice was great.

I got an Orange Brent Hinds Terror on STOTD for $299 a couple of years ago.

Bedroom switch 1W is TITS!
I bought two of them during that SDOTD. Really cool amp. Unfortunately I sold both to help pay for vet bill a couple of years ago. I'd actually like to find out how to mod the regular version to BH specs.

I bought two of them during that SDOTD. Really cool amp. Unfortunately I sold both to help pay for vet bill a couple of years ago. I'd actually like to find out how to mod the regular version to BH specs.
The 100 ohm cathode bias resistor mod is the biggest key to great tone. 150 is too cold! 75 is great for half power too.

The 100 ohm cathode bias resistor mod is the biggest key to great tone. 150 is too cold! 75 is great for half power too.
The BH terror sounds a lot more "Marshally" than the regular Rocker 15 terror. If it's just a matter of swapping a few components I might have to look into getting one since the regular Rocker 15 is less money.

The BH terror sounds a lot more "Marshally" than the regular Rocker 15 terror. If it's just a matter of swapping a few components I might have to look into getting one since the regular Rocker 15 is less money.
Nah it’s universal to all Terror amps. The OG high-T value is 100 ohms. The nu-male beta fag try guy’s value is 150.

Has the Katana Mini been mentioned ? At low volumes it works for me , sounds good cranked up a bit too

I thought the Spark and THR sounded awful when I tried them. The Katana gets my vote. It’s simple and decent as long as it isn’t cranked. I didn’t like how it sounded at high volume, but for practice was great.
I gotta tell you, I spent some time with the Spark last night and I don’t think I can recommend it anymore. I was really underwhelmed. Granted, it’s still running on the original software, mostly due to the fact updates seem to brick the amp, but I really don’t think it sounds that great.

A used Vypyr Tube 60. All the benefits of the next gen Transtube preamp with a power amp mated on. The Peavy settings are good but I spend most of my time on the Recto and Diezel settings. Well under $300 used.

this thing sounds good and is around $300 on Reverb. I had never heard of this one before

Even has good cleans

hard to beat the Yamaha THR. I like the old green ones. The THR10X. They were obsoleted by Yamaha, but theoretically, the new ones are same with updates.

Last edited:
I've owned the original Yamaha THR10 in the past and it was awesome, but when the THR10X dropped I sold my OG and bought the X. The original is more versatile overall, but the X is killer for hard rock/metal. I still have it and honestly it's one of my favorite amps ever.

Here's a couple shitty lil clips I recorded with them:

THR10X:

THR10:

Back