Bogner Ecstacy History

Don't you guys think it's weird how every single amp manufacturer gets it right the first time when a model comes out and they subsequently ruin the amp with each revision? If the original model is so good, why don't they just keep making it the same? Or better still, make it even better? :dunno:
It is weird. To me it's all just internet bullshit. Sometimes subsequent revisions sound just as good if not even better, but that's all just personal opinion.

Take the recto's for example, everyone chases the C revision, but in all honesty, the F and G revisions are the classic recto sound that most people love. But it's all subjective, one person's shit is another person's gold... and they'll blab about it all over the internet till the cows come home and create some internet mistique about so and so revision, blah blah....

One thing to add since @FourT6and2 you know amp circuits...at some point there was a Cameron mod to one of the cathodes. A 'partially partially bypassed" cathode lol. There was a cathode bypass cap added somewhere but it had a resistor in series with it so it wasn't so drastic of a change. If I dig I could find it. And then I think Reinhold then tweeked the values of the Cameron mod. Or maybe I have that backwards, Cameron tweeked RBs mod. Point is, that wasn't in the early ones I don't think and might account for the added gain of the later ones.

EDIT: Memory fading back in I think it was across the 10k cold clipper. One of the configs was a 10k resistor in series with either a 0.68u or 1u cap.
It's been a .22 cap in series w/ a 2.7k resistor paralleled to the 10k cathode resistor 😉

I have owned around 6 or 7 101 B's over the years including a 20th anniversary and number 13 white chassis made and the 2 that were the best sounding were 1997s. MM tranny's, just my opinion but they seem to have something magical about them. The red channel on the 20th anniversary was much better than the post 2004 models but the blue Channel just did not have the magic that the early ones did. I've had this in my phone for years here's how you can date the early models.

Attachments

• download serial nuber symbols.jpg
    download serial nuber symbols.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 92
So I have a 97 101b I bought used in 97 or 98 ?
It was my first real high end tube amp.
I would call it the Swiss army knife of amps.
It will do most anything.
I love the tone. I'm not a boost guy .
I just use the amps gain.
I had an ubershall as well can't remember blue or green ?
It did metal great but the volume loss for clean ruined it.
Then I heard Doug Rappaport do a demo on the Helios.
I bought a Helios 100 new in 15.
The Helios is way more raw then the ecstacy , it has less gain but sounds more aggressive.
I would say the Helios is more like a molded plexi.
That's what they were going for .
I have had the helios next to a 71 jmp 50
They were very close .

So I have a 97 101b I bought used in 97 or 98 ?
It was my first real high end tube amp.
I would call it the Swiss army knife of amps.
It will do most anything.
I love the tone. I'm not a boost guy .
I just use the amps gain.
I had an ubershall as well can't remember blue or green ?
It did metal great but the volume loss for clean ruined it.
Then I heard Doug Rappaport do a demo on the Helios.
I bought a Helios 100 new in 15.
The Helios is way more raw then the ecstacy , it has less gain but sounds more aggressive.
I would say the Helios is more like a molded plexi.
That's what they were going for .
I have had the helios next to a 71 jmp 50
They were very close .

I tried a Helios and an Eclipse a few years ago and remember not being blown away. Kinda reminded me of a Friedman BE. I'm gonna try another one this week and see how it goes. But I already have the hot-rodded Marshall thing covered with my own build. And I have yet to play another Jose variant that sounds better.

Sounds like the 100A/B is the one I want to try. And if I can't find one, maybe a 20th.

I just found some clips of a 100A on the 'Tube and man... gorgeous sounding. The XTC seems like a very complicated amp, though. So many switches and options. I tend to get overloaded with stuff like that and I wind up fiddling with the amp more than playing.
I had one of these, and it can get pissed off sound and pretty mean. I would dial it on different than this dude, but you can hear some of that grind around the edges. You can also dial it in pretty tight. I thought it was a killer amp.

I tried a Helios and an Eclipse a few years ago and remember not being blown away. Kinda reminded me of a Friedman BE. I'm gonna try another one this week and see how it goes. But I already have the hot-rodded Marshall thing covered with my own build. And I have yet to play another Jose variant that sounds better.
This is true. FourT6and2 builds a seriously bad ass and extremely mean modded Marshall with some great tone shaping capabilities. As good as any boutique builder out there. Guy is too busy winning to start an amp company.

I’ve got a 100B. I think it’s #67.

I had a 101B at the same time and sold it. Preferred the 100B.

100B is a great amp but the loop sucks pretty bad. I only run it wdw to add delay etc…

Last edited:
Seems like most Bogners have some issue that was never worked out before production. Like a noise/bad loop, or channel switching issues, or weird layouts/functionality that wasn't thought out. I don't understand it. It's like RB had an idea in the shower and just built it. Then 3 years later was like oh yeah... I guess it would kinda be a good idea if the loop had send/return levels. Or oh yeah... I guess it would be cool if you could actually switch channels with a footswitch instead of turning the amp off and entering the Konami Code 4 times first.

Did there really need to be 7 versions of the XTC? Or 4 versions of the Uberschall? Or 7 versions of the Shiva? Or 3 versions of the Helios?

Well the big question. Did Bogner go out of business, seems to be the word with no confirmation?
Doubtful. Their amps and cabs are still in stock everywhere, and Jorg answers emails.

They just struggle with online presence for whatever reason. I think they're a much smaller operation than most major brands.

Just picked up a Helios 50. Not bad. Kind of Friedman BE-ish. Doesn't have that Bogner squish/chewiness though. But it's a decent hot-rod sound. Maybe a little on the tame side, but will make a fun alternative to my more aggressive/angry Jose.

I have owned around 6 or 7 101 B's over the years including a 20th anniversary and number 13 white chassis made and the 2 that were the best sounding were 1997s. MM tranny's, just my opinion but they seem to have something magical about them. The red channel on the 20th anniversary was much better than the post 2004 models but the blue Channel just did not have the magic that the early ones did. I've had this in my phone for years here's how you can date the early models.

Just on the Bogner serial numbers, What does the letter above signify?
I did google around but found nothing relating to that.

Mine (101B) has 'K' /-0 - which I read as #106, I'm just unsure what the K stands for?

CtGLmQk.jpg

Cheers

Last edited:
Just on the Bogner serial numbers, What does the letter above signify?
I did google around but found nothing relating to that.

Mine (101B) has 'K' /-0 - which I read as #106, I'm just unsure what the K stands for?

CtGLmQk.jpg

Cheers
I'm not sure myself, someone here might know but you can call Bogner and they will tell you.

I’ve had several Ecstasies.

2007 101b
1997 101b
2009 20th A
2014 20th B

(plus a Helios 100, two different 20th Shivas, and currently a Telos and the Ecstasy Synergy module which I run in the 50w 6L6 head)

The 07 101b did everything great. The red was too much, but the XTC sounds better with the gain run lower anyway (because the bright switches have a bigger impact). Ran old Svet ELs and Yugo EI pres. Awesome. Both blue and red just excellent.

Got rid of it for the 20th XTCa. Best clean ever. Not “that’s a nice clean”, like only an old Tone King and a Dumble I played through once compared. Blue was very good, Red was “meh”. But the recorded tone was just ridiculously good. Tons of rich harmonics and dynamics. Sadly got rid of this amp for a Helios. Which I thought far too stiff. Sad!

The 1997 101b was really nice. Best feeling amp. Could get a little squishy recorded, unless you didn’t use the loop then you could Marshall it up. Similar to the later XTC but just more milkshakey.

The 20th b was outstanding but then I got a Synergy system and the XTC module through the head sounds like my old 20th A (and the others). So why should I keep the big heavy head?)

Seriously, the module does it all, especially with good glass, using it with the head. I a/b’d.

I'm not sure myself, someone here might know but you can call Bogner and they will tell you.
Thanks, I'm on the other side of the planet though. It could take some time planning. I might just email them unless someone else can figure it out.

I'm not 100% on the mini toggle on the rear LH side near the channel selectors. I believe it's something to do with the red channel gain. It seems to make a minor adjustment up/down. Is that something to do with a "Cameron mod"? What exactly does it change?

Cheers.

Back