Mesa JP-2C vs. MKV vs. MKIII clips

i couldnt tell you which version my iic+ is, i know its got 4 tubes and the 105 transformer :dunno:
Probably a DRG, which are generally the most sought after. Does it have reverb? Does it say simulclass anywhere on the back or on the power switch? DRG's have the 105 power transformer, so it's gotta be that I'd think?? I'm no expert though.

Probably a DRG, which are generally the most sought after. Does it have reverb? Does it say simulclass anywhere on the back or on the power switch?

i have reverb and a simulclass/class A switch on the back, it was converted to a + though if that matters

giphy.gif

I didn't know you're a chick?

The different types of IIC+'s have different power sections 60 watts, 60/100 watts or 75 watts simulclass/15 watts class A, GEQ or no GEQ, and reverb or no reverb, and that's about it. The pre-amps are the same, that's where a majority of the tone comes from in these amps, well 95% of the tone. DRG to HRG is more a feel and response thing, cause tonally they are quite similar.

Last edited:
i have reverb and a simulclass/class A switch on the back, it was converted to a + though if that matters
Ya, that's a DRG. As far as being converted to a + I think that matters more to purists, you know, that want a 100% stock from the factory C+, but tonally your amp is every bit a IIC+.

I didn't know you're a chick?

The different types of IIC+'s have different power sections 60 watts, 60/100 watts or 75 watts simulclass/15 watts class A, GEQ or no GEQ, and reverb or no reverb, and that's about it. The pre-amps are the same, that's where a majority of the tone comes from in these amps, well 95% of the tone. DRG to HRG is more a feel and response thing, cause tonally they are quite similar.

Wrong again. Quit while you're behind.

The DRG & HRG 2C+ amp differences are not only a "feel and response thing". There are tonal difference as well. I own several of each.

Furthermore... There are different preamps: RP-10, RP-10A, RP-11, RP-11A as labeled on the preamp pcb... and a few others. Educate yourself before making incorrect statements.

Any other incorrect regurgitated inter-web lore and pablum you'd like to share?

Last edited:
Wrong again. Quit while you're behind.

The DRG & HRG 2C+ amp differences are not only a "feel and response thing". There are tonal difference as well. I own several of each.

Furthermore... There are different preamps: RP-10, RP-10A, RP-11, RP-11A as labeled on the preamp pcb... and a few others. Educate yourself before making incorrect statements.

Any other incorrect regurgitated inter-web lore and pablum you'd like to share?
What's different about them besides the boards themselves? I thought a IIC+ was a IIC+ and there weren't several different versions of that circuit?? But I guess I'm wrong... so shoot me, lol. I did say I was no expert.

There are a couple of circuit differences which are documented on grailtone. You might hear a difference as a sum of many tiny changes but it's not much. 15 vs 22uf caps on some cathodes (probably whatever component mesa could get at the time), sliiiightly different filter lead channel feedback for the simul vs non. I built a C++ preamp but never bothered a/b testing these tweaks.

Back