ToneNerd Psykes

Beyond Black

Being owners of and familiar with original Shaw Dirty Fingers pickups, Scott was kind enough to let Tom Racerxrated and myself have first crack at the first two Psykes‘ available to compare with DF’s.
Shaw DF’s are nasty. They’re dark, yet have wicked ceramic bite. They’re raw, hot, have a menacing low mid grunt, and a touch of gummy sag to them, all while having excellent clarity. Oddly, as thick as they are, pick harmonics fly from them and they have a bouncy feel. They actually have a raw, vintage sound and feel to them reminiscent of an old Marshall or Mesa, but in a pickup.
Listen to John Sykes “Bad Boy Live” for an extremely accurate representation of a DF in action.
They’re only shortcoming imo is that they’re unpotted, so they squeal like a bitch at high gain/volume, and require a noisegate or some really quick volume knob action.
Well, besides being potted and dead quiet, Scott’s Psykes pretty much nails all of that. I replaced the DF in my Sykes Greco with a Psykes and the difference between the two is barely discernible. I’ve also got a DF in a Bacchus V, and I’ll be damned if the only difference I’m hearing is the inherent differences between the guitars themselves, not the pickups. Considering that Scott replicated a 40 year old vintage pickup with modern day materials, got this close, and his can be had for roughly half to a third of the cost of a Shaw, its pretty incredible imo. I won’t say that it’s exact, but I’d put it at a solid 98%, only because you’d have to compare them in the same guitar, and back to back instantaneously to really split hairs.
Scott’s making some killer pickups, and imo they’re as good as anybody‘s, and better than most. The Psykes far exceeded my expectations and is my favorite offering of his to date.…VIVA TONENERD!!!! :rawk:

Being owners of and familiar with original Shaw Dirty Fingers pickups, Scott was kind enough to let Tom Racerxrated and myself have first crack at the first two Psykes‘ available to compare with DF’s.
Shaw DF’s are nasty. They’re dark, yet have wicked ceramic bite. They’re raw, hot, have a menacing low mid grunt, and a touch of gummy sag to them, all while having excellent clarity. Oddly, as thick as they are, pick harmonics fly from them and they have a bouncy feel. They actually have a raw, vintage sound and feel to them reminiscent of an old Marshall or Mesa, but in a pickup.
Listen to John Sykes “Bad Boy Live” for an extremely accurate representation of a DF in action.
They’re only shortcoming imo is that they’re unpotted, so they squeal like a bitch at high gain/volume, and require a noisegate or some really quick volume knob action.
Well, besides being potted and dead quiet, Scott’s Psykes pretty much nails all of that. I replaced the DF in my Sykes Greco with a Psykes and the difference between the two is barely discernible. I’ve also got a DF in a Bacchus V, and I’ll be damned if the only difference I’m hearing is the inherent differences between the guitars themselves, not the pickups. Considering that Scott replicated a 40 year old vintage pickup with modern day materials, got this close, and his can be had for roughly half to a third of the cost of a Shaw, its pretty incredible imo. I won’t say that it’s exact, but I’d put it at a solid 98%, only because you’d have to compare them in the same guitar, and back to back instantaneously to really split hairs.
Scott’s making some killer pickups, and imo they’re as good as anybody‘s, and better than most. The Psykes far exceeded my expectations and is my favorite offering of his to date.…VIVA TONENERD!!!! :rawk:
I'm a ToneNerd mark, I will never get rid of my Sunset Strip or Roxy. I do want Scott to spin me strat neck pickup someday but as they say.....that's another story for another day.

Jeff nailed it; because Scott nailed it! DF is an amazing feeling, sounding pickup that is in a class all by itself. After buying 2 originals, I can see how Sykes loved it in his LP for years. Great clarity, feel, unique low mid growl and the ability to produce pick harmonics by just looking at it.
But, being unpotted it becomes challenging to play at higher volumes without playing a video game with your guitar volume (like Sykes does in any live video lol).
Enter the Tone Nerd Psyches. My 86 Jackson has an 83 DF….and is my best toned guitar. Next is my 09 SoCal, and last is my 08 SD(USA Charvels). I put the Psyches in the 08, which is the 3rd best tonally but I had intended on putting it in the 86 for a direct comparo. Well, the 08 with the Psyches now sounds EXACTLY like the 86. Spot on. It’s got the same feel; makes you want to really ‘dig in’ while playing. Equal clarity too. Only difference ‘might’ be the harmonic squeals are not as free flowing as the DF…but still easy to get. And, I can crank my amps without worrying about feedback as they are potted.
In some ways the DF/Psyches reminds me a bit of an improved Afwayu; my fav of any MCP.
Scott absolutely nailed this pickup…just fn killer.
Get one while you can! 🤟🤟

Jeff nailed it; because Scott nailed it! DF is an amazing feeling, sounding pickup that is in a class all by itself. After buying 2 originals, I can see how Sykes loved it in his LP for years. Great clarity, feel, unique low mid growl and the ability to produce pick harmonics by just looking at it.
But, being unpotted it becomes challenging to play at higher volumes without playing a video game with your guitar volume (like Sykes does in any live video lol).
Enter the Tone Nerd Psyches. My 86 Jackson has an 83 DF….and is my best toned guitar. Next is my 09 SoCal, and last is my 08 SD(USA Charvels). I put the Psyches in the 08, which is the 3rd best tonally but I had intended on putting it in the 86 for a direct comparo. Well, the 08 with the Psyches now sounds EXACTLY like the 86. Spot on. It’s got the same feel; makes you want to really ‘dig in’ while playing. Equal clarity too. Only difference ‘might’ be the harmonic squeals are not as free flowing as the DF…but still easy to get. And, I can crank my amps without worrying about feedback as they are potted.
In some ways the DF/Psyches reminds me a bit of an improved Afwayu; my fav of any MCP.
Scott absolutely nailed this pickup…just fn killer.
Get one while you can! 🤟🤟
The Afwayu is also my favorite MCP pickup and I agree with the comparison. The Psykes (and DF) both sound huge and full like an Afwayu, but more raw and gritty, with more menacing mids. I definitely prefer it to the Afwayu, and that was my #1 in three guitars for quite awhile.

Done!

I think Japetus is snagging one too
yuuup.jpg

I don't know how I haven't seen this before, dude is killer:

Listening back to the clips we made, I'm hearing the low mids, this certain thing on the pick attack, and the super easy pinch harmonics.
Can't wait to compare this to the Godwood in my Explorer.

Ah damn I was thinking of getting a Roxy set for a chubtone star. Now I'm thinking of the psykes
Both great, different.
The Psykes will push an amp more, has more of a compressed feel. Took me a minute to get used to it, does a lot of the work for you. Lots of fun.
Roxy is like a beefed up JB, that has more lows and low mids, not as peaky, open feel, great attack.
Hard to say which one would be best. Guess it depends on your setup and what kind of stuff you like to play.

Last edited:
Back