Votes: 9 64.3%
  • WOW

Votes: 3 21.4%
  • OTHER

Votes: 1 7.1%

• Total voters

ShitSquatch

First post so be gentle...

I got my amp serviced because it was making a terrible cracking/hiss/squealing sound and they replaced two power tubes. Great... but when I got it back it's making a hiss much louder than it was before the tubes were replaced. I sent this clip to several people with BE-100's and all of them said this was much louder than theirs. So I took it back to the Service shop to have them double check it.

Any one experience anything like this? If so what was the fix?

BE-100 Hiss

BE-100 Sqeal Before the tubes were replaced

Ps: I emailed tech support and they said it seemed normal but I don't think they turned the volume up ha

EDIT: I put an ISP decimate in the FX loop and that completely eliminated the hiss. Still think it's not normal but at least it's gone. I'm also sending it to Dave for some mods and a tune-up after the first of the year.

Thanks in advance!
~ss

Last edited:
Friedmans are pretty damn quiet. I had a few of them. What you have in that video was not something I experienced.
That's what I'm thinking... before I got it I spent quite a whilst with it and NEVER had that hiss. About a month after getting it the squeal started then the hiss. Fortunately the repair shop is taking a closer look but they said it seemed normal for a "high gain" amp to which I politely disagreed. We'll see what happens as they are a very reputable service shop.

~ss

Email Dave if you haven’t. Replacing two power tubes is a weird move, I’d definitely take it to someone to have the bias checked and check whatever else the previous guy may have done. Are you sure you aren’t talking about preamp tubes? Might have just received a bad pre tube. I’d tap/wiggle on the preamp tubes to see if the noise gets worse or better.

Email Dave if you haven’t. Replacing two power tubes is a weird move, I’d definitely take it to someone to have the bias checked and check whatever else the previous guy may have done. Are you sure you aren’t talking about preamp tubes? Might have just received a bad pre tube. I’d tap/wiggle on the preamp tubes to see if the noise gets worse or better.
Thanks, I emailed from the website and they said it seemed normal but I don't think they turned the video up because it's loud as shit and wasn't doing that when I bought it.

No, 100% talking about Power Amp tubes... two were replaced and that fixed the squalling sound. When I took it back to have the hiss checked they checked all the pre-amp tubes right on the floor. I wish it was that easy to fix.

~ss

Thanks, I emailed from the website and they said it seemed normal but I don't think they turned the video up because it's loud as shit and wasn't doing that when I bought it.

No, 100% talking about Power Amp tubes... two were replaced and that fixed the squalling sound. When I took it back to have the hiss checked they checked all the pre-amp tubes right on the floor. I wish it was that easy to fix.

~ss
As much as that sucks I’d get a new quad and see if that fixes it. Maybe find a new tech to look over any work the previous tech did.

As much as that sucks I’d get a new quad and see if that fixes it. Maybe find a new tech to look over any work the previous tech did.
Thanks,.. I was actually thinking all the power amp tubes needed to be replaced but we'll see what they come back with. I took it back to the shop as the previous work is under warranty... I'm confident they will figure it out.

~ss

Are you plugged straight in the amp from your guitar?
Yep... I've tried everything and the puzzling thing is a noise gate does not mute the hiss coming thru.
It's still at the shop, hopefully I'll hear something back this week or next.

~ss

That sounds like a preamp tube. I'd get a spare you know is good, and start checking them one by one. Put a good one in V1, see if it stops. If not, put the old one back in, and move on to V2, and so on. Absolutely sounds like a microphonic preamp tube.

Don't know why anybody wouldn't just replace all 4 power tubes for one, and secondly, bad power tubes, (in my experience), don't usually have prolonged issues. They act up, (typically losing volume, maybe a little noise, and bam. Done, no sound at all).

My money is on a preamp tube. And a lousy tech..

That sounds like a preamp tube. I'd get a spare you know is good, and start checking them one by one. Put a good one in V1, see if it stops. If not, put the old one back in, and move on to V2, and so on. Absolutely sounds like a microphonic preamp tube.

Don't know why anybody wouldn't just replace all 4 power tubes for one, and secondly, bad power tubes, (in my experience), don't usually have prolonged issues. They act up, (typically losing volume, maybe a little noise, and bam. Done, no sound at all).

My money is on a preamp tube. And a lousy tech..
Well you just lost money… First thing the “lousy tech” did was check the pre-amp tubes. The squeal was the PowerAmp tubes but the hiss is still there on the HBE channel.

I’m sending it back to Dave to check out and I’m pondering what to do about the HBE channel. Hoping to hear from @MantraSky about his mods.

~ss

Well you just lost money… First thing the “lousy tech” did was check the pre-amp tubes. The squeal was the PowerAmp tubes but the hiss is still there on the HBE channel.

I’m sending it back to Dave to check out and I’m pondering what to do about the HBE channel. Hoping to hear from @MantraSky about his mods.

~ss
Well, a good tech would have replaced the whole quad. Also, a good tech would have fixed the problem, and seeing how it's still hissing, I'd say they missed something..

Logically, it's possible that it's still a preamp tube that was overlooked. Power tubes typically don't effect one channel. Preamp tubes do. It wouldn't hurt to double-check yourself.

Well, a good tech would have replaced the whole quad. Also, a good tech would have fixed the problem, and seeing how it's still hissing, I'd say they missed something..

Logically, it's possible that it's still a preamp tube that was overlooked. Power tubes typically don't effect one channel. Preamp tubes do. It wouldn't hurt to double-check yourself.
Everything you mentioned was done and I forgot to tell you I'm really sorry that you lost your money.... Thanks for your input.

~ss

Everything you mentioned was done and I forgot to tell you I'm really sorry that you lost your money.... Thanks for your input.

~ss
Have you opened it up and checked your "tech's" handy work? Did he do everything in front of you? Did you check the bias? Hate to break it to you, but some techs have no business working on amps.

I'd find another tech, if it had the same problem after they worked on it.

Have you opened it up and checked your "tech's" handy work? Did he do everything in front of you? Did you check the bias? Hate to break it to you, but some techs have no business working on amps.

I'd find another tech, if it had the same problem after they worked on it.
I'm not a tech so no I'm not going to open it but I can assure you these guys know what they are doing. I got it worked out so no need for you to worry anymore. And again I hate that losing your money has made you so angry. 😉

Thanks everyone... I know it's been a wild ride but got it worked out I'm trading it back to the guy I got it from for a different BE.

~ss

Back