Vintage 1968 Marshall cab restoration day

ZEN Amps

So I often mock the overuse of the word best on gear forums. TGP is the worst offender, 'what's the best clean amp', 'what's the best pedal' etc. Pretty silly stuff for obvious reasons.

BUT.. this is the best cab in our collection. A 1968 Marshall narrow handle basketweave cab with original 75Hz Pulsonic 20W G12M's in great condition - no cone cry or significant deterioration. For old school rock n' tones I don't think they can be beat.

Cab was fugly as hell when acquired a few months back - carpeted, grille sprayed black etc. A loving restoration job was performed by one of Australia's best (Eric at http://www.ebampsandcabs.com.au/) and now she looks as good as she sounds:

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.42.35 pm.png
Resized_20221112_142526.jpg

IMG_6329.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.55.03 pm.png

Screen Shot 2022-11-15 at 3.56.03 pm.png

Those old cabs seem to be worth more in unrestored condition.
However, in this case there’s NO WAY that could be true lol. That’s one incredibly stupid way to treat a great cab like that…carpet??? Omfg.
Looks perfect now 🤟

Those old cabs seem to be worth more in unrestored condition.
However, in this case there’s NO WAY that could be true lol. That’s one incredibly stupid way to treat a great cab like that…carpet??? Omfg.
Looks perfect now 🤟
Yep I'm fine with beat up, peeling levant and ripped grille... but this was a crime against humanity. I didn't hold out much hope that the speakers were original, or even working, but they're near mint. Happy days.

Yep I'm fine with beat up, peeling levant and ripped grille... but this was a crime against humanity. I didn't hold out much hope that the speakers were original, or even working, but they're near mint. Happy days.
Those old 20w are the one unobtanium speaker I've yet to try. I do have some 1963 Alnico Blues though. They are pretty amazing. Very 3D.

Those old 20w are the one unobtanium speaker I've yet to try. I do have some 1963 Alnico Blues though. They are pretty amazing. Very 3D.
Hard to find in good condition but worth the search if you can!

The Celestion Heritage G12M / EVH is a pretty good modern rendition but ultimately quite different sounding. The Scumback 20W M75-PVC is also a cool speaker, I much prefer if to the regular M75.

F3D5F329-DD6D-4953-A78F-E3D81315EA05.jpeg

Congrats on the cabinet! Those are phenomenal sounding cabs and speakers!
The right cab is a very early 68, all original, with G12M 20w 75Hz. This has been my favorite cabinet since I've got it in 2001.
The one on the left is a late 67, that I'm restoring. Decided to keep the original tolex, but replaced the non original black grille with 60's brown pinstripe. Speakers are also 20w 75Hz.

Last edited:
Back