NAD- Silver Jubilee Reissue

M@tt C

I picked up a super clean used Jubilee reissue on Saturday- took a chance as it was at a local GC and I figured if I didn't like it I could return it.

Never played one, but I'm firmly in the Marshally/ modded Marshall tone camp- I've own or have owned a Runt 50, JCM 800 reissue, Budda Superdrive, PWE Event Horizon, and a SLO 30.

After spending several hours across the weekend playing it...

Holy smokes- what a killer rock amp!

To me the Jubilee has the idealized rock tone- juicy with some compression, but super articulate/ clear and responsive to turning down the guitar volume to clean up. SUPER fun to play. Really responds to changes in EQ and gain as well.

The classic Marshall upper mid thing is just awesome combined with the thicker mids and low end compared to my old 800. Through my GB/ V30 loaded 4x12 it was just awesome and killer through my 2x12 loaded with a Scumback M75/ BM75 combo.

I ended up with the clean channel set up with the clip pulled for my crunch (roll the guitar down for gritty cleans), then switch to the lead channel with the channel volume up more to get a volume boost for leads. A JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop let me run the volumes at about 6 and 7 and not blow out my hearing.

FX loop is great, and it takes boosts really well too! My Anderson into the clipped crunch side boosted with a EQD Arrows really had the EVH Fair Warning thing going on.

Can't wait for rehearsal this weekend!

Anyhoo, an obligatory pic:
IMG_2176.jpeg

Last edited:
I've been thinking about a Jube myself, but I don't really want to off my current amp, and don't get a chance to play enough that I should have 2 $$$ amps right now.

Congrats! I´ve heard some good things about the reissue, never tried it myself though. Santiago Alvarez seemed pretty adamant it is the same amp as the original, even if the construction obviously is different, and that any difference in a comparison basically comes down to big tolerances in the components they used back in the 80s. Presumably it is dead-on the exact Jube they had in the vault, and maybe slightly different from others.

Congrats! I´ve heard some good things about the reissue, never tried it myself though. Santiago Alvarez seemed pretty adamant it is the same amp as the original, even if the construction obviously is different, and that any difference in a comparison basically comes down to big tolerances in the components they used back in the 80s. Presumably it is dead-on the exact Jube they had in the vault, and maybe slightly different from others.
It is exact. I’ve had 10 originals at this point; and 1 reissue. The only difference I noticed was at volume, the original iron pulls ahead just a bit tonewise. But it’s not a huge difference. Boosted or double boosted, they can get as heavy as you want with an eq that really works. Plenty of low end available. Great amps.
Another cool feature, you can mix any 2 pair or whole quads of octal tubes. 2 6L6 with 2 EL34, all KT88, KT90 with 6550s etc. Lots of tone shaping options. They love V30s too; about the only Marshall I can say that about(unless you have the first version Marshall Vintages).

It is exact. I’ve had 10 originals at this point; and 1 reissue. The only difference I noticed was at volume, the original iron pulls ahead just a bit tonewise. But it’s not a huge difference. Boosted or double boosted, they can get as heavy as you want with an eq that really works. Plenty of low end available. Great amps.
Another cool feature, you can mix any 2 pair or whole quads of octal tubes. 2 6L6 with 2 EL34, all KT88, KT90 with 6550s etc. Lots of tone shaping options. They love V30s too; about the only Marshall I can say that about(unless you have the first version Marshall Vintages).
I had no idea you could swap tubes in them. How would you go about biasing a el34 and 6l6 combo and what spots would they go In?

Congrats! I had one, an AMAZING amp...
I needed up trading it for my BE-100. I'll probably end up getting another one.

IMG-3006.jpg

~ss

I picked up a super clean used Jubilee reissue on Saturday- took a chance as it was at a local GC and I figured if I didn't like it I could return it.

Never played one, but I'm firmly in the Marshally/ modded Marshall tone camp- I've own or have owned a Runt 50, JCM 800 reissue, Budda Superdrive, PWE Event Horizon, and a SLO 30.

After spending several hours across the weekend playing it...

Holy smokes- what a killer rock amp!

To me the Jubilee has the idealized rock tone- juicy with some compression, but super articulate/ clear and responsive to turning down the guitar volume to clean up. SUPER fun to play. Really responds to changes in EQ and gain as well.

The classic Marshall upper mid thing is just awesome combined with the thicker mids and low end compared to my old 800. Through my GB/ V30 loaded 4x12 it was just awesome and killer through my 2x12 loaded with a Scumback M75/ BM75 combo.

I ended up with the clean channel set up with the clip pulled for my crunch (roll the guitar down for gritty cleans), then switch to the lead channel with the channel volume up more to get a volume boost for leads. A JHS Little Black Amp Box in the loop let me run the volumes at about 6 and 7 and not blow out my hearing.

FX loop is great, and it takes boosts really well too! My Anderson into the clipped crunch side boosted with a EQD Arrows really had the EVH Fair Warning thing going on.

Can't wait for rehearsal this weekend!

Anyhoo, an obligatory pic:
View attachment 144649
Congrats! What's that cool looking amp under it?

Back in July, Musician's Friend was blowing out Jubilee 100 watt half stacks for $2,500. Basically getting the 4x12 for free. I wish I would have snagged one.

WOW! I never knew that! What tubes either straight or mixed would you recommend I use on my reissue to give it more gain and bottom end if I'm aiming for an 80's / 90's thrash metal tone? This thread gives me hope for my Silver Jubilee Reissue. BTW for the OP, it is a great amp for rock!

WOW! I never knew that! What tubes either straight or mixed would you recommend I use on my reissue to give it more gain and bottom end if I'm aiming for an 80's / 90's thrash metal tone? This thread gives me hope for my Silver Jubilee Reissue. BTW for the OP, it is a great amp for rock!
If it was an early run of them I would recommend biasing it. A lot of the early reissues were shipped with the bias all jacked up.

If it was an early run of them I would recommend biasing it. A lot of the early reissues were shipped with the bias all jacked up.
It is one of the early ones! I bought it years ago when they actually had an overstock of them for cheap! What is the correct bias setting range for the amp? BTW, I don't have a multi meter, so what should I get?

Last edited:
I had no idea you could swap tubes in them. How would you go about biasing a el34 and 6l6 combo and what spots would they go In?
The 2555x I had, the test points were on the top of the back chassis near the PT. There was a chart showing the recommended bias settings for each tube type/range...like EL34/KT77/6CA7, then KT88/6550/KT90, Then 6L6/KT66 etc. Just need a multimeter to do it. The sets of tubes would go, from what I remember, L-R the first 2 then the next 2. So, L-R you could have the first 2 spots (power tubes) EL34 and the next 2 6L6. Hope that makes sense..You'll have to take the back panel off to see the points/ chart.

I might go for 6550s or KT90s as they each have deep plentiful low with great mids. The KT90s to me sounded like huge EL34s. For preamp tubes, I liked the Chinese 6N4s or the older 8th get versions. Very hairy sounding.

The 2555x I had, the test points were on the top of the back chassis near the PT. There was a chart showing the recommended bias settings for each tube type/range...like EL34/KT77/6CA7, then KT88/6550/KT90, Then 6L6/KT66 etc. Just need a multimeter to do it. The sets of tubes would go, from what I remember, L-R the first 2 then the next 2. So, L-R you could have the first 2 spots (power tubes) EL34 and the next 2 6L6. Hope that makes sense..You'll have to take the back panel off to see the points/ chart.
I think I get it. Do you have a chart for the bias by any chance? I need to get a multimeter now! What's a good multimeter to get? Sorry OP for going off topic.

Good info, new owner here as well

Back