Uncommon performances in songs

VESmedic

i was hoping to find other performances on records that may have gone unnoticed until someone pointed it out to you. Meaning, something that made you say “ oh damn, I never realized/thought. about that”.

Case in my point:

The Wallflowers-One Headlight: there is not single cymbal hit in the entire song…when someone pointed this out to me years ago it kinda blew my mind, and made me listen to that song differently. There’s so many times during the track that you’re ready for a crash or China hit, and it never happens. Unless you consider the hihat, there’s not a single other hit.

Whatcha got?

BONHAM…”When The Levee Breaks”
*the true test of any drummer*(everybody plays it differently by nature due to the device used for that
recoil/ghost note).
Dude’s think it’s straight BONHAM grease, nope!!!
Andy Johns with the echo machine AND the stairwell.
Also dude’s miss the whole groove because Pagey’ used devices in front of his sound as opposed on the backside.

Last edited:
How about Collective Soul often used a drum machine as their final recordings:

For years I never seemed to notice.

i read an article about smashing pumpkins and how much editing they actually did on the drums and it was quite surprising to me. bob rock said they couldnt edit lars drums anymore on the black album cause the tape wouldnt go through the machine. seems like a lot of recordings back then were basically drum machines

AiC's "Dirt" guitar tracks were recorded with a Scholz Rockman headphone amp.

"For the guitar tones, I used my Bogners, a Mesa/Boogie Dual Rectifier and a Rockman. Instead of EQing the guitar, I put down guitar tracks of different EQ sounds. I put the low stuff with the Dual Rectifier, the big whomping sh*t, and the real biting stuff that is my sound in the middle [Bogners], and then a real sh*tty, high Rockman on top of it."

-- JC 1993 GW interview

KUDOS with these dude’s.
To come off with this one after all these decades in their mid-50’s is so rad to see.
Why this song to your topic?
Cuz that ain’t no Evenflow riffage,
HELL YEAH, Stoney’ keeping the Jam in the Pearl.
Matt Cameron is untouchable, always has been.
The way he sits over the grooves is much like BONHAM, go listen to Outshined.
Man does he sound strong.
“Powerfully sophisticated”.
That’s a super difficult groove to pull off and make it sound so “4 on the floor”.
And check out that super-creepy cool descending lick McCready employs right before lighting it up.
That was F’n cool man!!!!
Good for them.

Last edited:
Did you guys know that Aragorn broke his toe when he kicked that helmet in Lord of the Rings? Wait, shit. Not quite what the thread is looking for.

I read that Eric Johnson's guitar in Cliffs of Dover was edited together from around a dozen takes or more. A lot of people think he played the whole thing in one go, but nope.

Probably fairly common knowledge by now but on Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine album the snare sound is a straight sample of Lars' snare from "Sad But True"

I love Metallica. Of Wolf and Man has a clean guitar mixed in the chorus. Somebody pointed it out on another forum and I swear to God I had never heard it. Listened to that song 1000 times….

the song "na na na hey hey goodbye" was written and recorded by some dude from my town with a drum machine and synths, i think it was one of the first big songs recorded like that

This is DIVINE levels of mojo.
Most think of Jimi Hendrix and a Stratocaster,
purists will be snobs when P90’s are employed to a Hendrix tune etc..,
Let’s see & hear what Gary here can drum up.
I had that signature SG, it was super bad ass.
Listen to those f’n 90’s singing with herds of raunchy..
Most notable?
That f’n groove, that ain’t Mitch Mitchell syncopations, that’s the
“New boss in town wallop”, holy hell is that so freakin’ killer, adding the rings with the high-hats..
more please!!!
Dayum,what legitimate & respectful tribute to Jimi.

For me, Kevin Parker is the most potent mixture of Supertramp & Jimmy Page..
-He doesn’t do the Zep thing,
but employs many of Jimmy Page’s recording secret weapons as well as expanded on that sorta strategy.
Example: He runs reverb pedals INTO distortion pedals then the front of his amps.
I be like, f-that!, wrong!
Kevin Parker is Australia’s MVP.
The French drummer in this vid is super rad,
-the way he drags the enunciation of
the word ‘four’ when he counts the band in,
-is MAGIC.
The “cliff notes” of the cuts & grooves to follow.
Dope AF.

Y’all ready for the all-time hoax?
-that’s not Kurdt’ Cobain.
-that’s River Cuomo from Weezer singing lead vocals.

And to conclude…,
LOOK at the size of his high hats!!!!
& the crashes, they are all ride size cymbals.
The reason for my post here is to go the opposite direction of Robbie Zimmerman’s sons band,
-this animal uses the cymbals in a very percussive
& musical manner.
But my hammer here, is the damn size of his
hats & cymbals.
Imagine how freakin’ loud that must be acoustically, you would have to wear plugs.
-It also takes HERDS of
confidence & powerful precision
to run the cymbals like that.

*The best sounding recoil/ghost notes in the business.*

Back